twin turbo GTS, creating a lot of heat in the foot wells. How can I fix this?

darkostoj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going through my new car fixing a couple things I don't like.

One thing I noticed was that when driving the car there was a large amount of heat coming from the foot wells. The car has no cats.

The car also had a bad blower motor resistor, so i'm not sure if that might add to the problem at all.

It almost feels like a fan blowing hot air on mine and the passengers feet, then when you go on the expressway it almost doubles even if just cruising...so that makes me think there might be a large hole or leaks in the firewall letting the heat in

I really like a cool car in the summertime and I was thinking of ripping out the dash, carpet, and heater assy to completely line the firewall, floor, and rocker of the car with some type of material to keep the heat down. Anyone ever do this?

any thoughts?

drlee50

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have turbo blankets on mine and its cool as stock. U have them?

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're comparing your build to a coo-for-a-Viper build, take DrLee's advice. If you're comparing a Viper to an ordinary car, you're not going to ever get the Viper to be nice and cool without AC.

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

drlee50

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats how i did mine - like the pics above-- but I wrapped the down pipe and the WG pipes too. wrapped every thing-- and then I took the stock alum heat shield that was on the foot well and I flattened it out, then wedged it back up into the stock location to protect the speedo cable and computer from a tad bit more heat and it insulates the foot well another notch. Thats about as good as it gets.

aviatorone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are turbo blankets? Is this something that can be done on a '95?

For mine, I did rip out the seats and carpet, and layed down some dynomat (overkill) and extra floor insulation, and also laid the insulation all around the center console. It seems most of my heat comes in from the blower motor (still in motion in the off position) in the foot wells. fyi

ty

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It almost feels like a fan blowing hot air on mine and the passengers feet, then when you go on the expressway it almost doubles even if just cruising...so that makes me think there might be a large hole or leaks in the firewall letting the heat in

Just a thought, check your vaccum line on the bottom of the heater blower motor area. The line or the connecting rod to the diaphram, to open and close the heater door may have come off. It will be obvious if you pop the hood and look. Located down low, right in front of the passanger door under the blower. Mine came off so I rigged it up to not come off anymore. May be what your problem is.

OP
OP
D

darkostoj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a thought, check your vaccum line on the bottom of the heater blower motor area. The line or the connecting rod to the diaphram, to open and close the heater door may have come off. It will be obvious if you pop the hood and look. Located down low, right in front of the passanger door under the blower. Mine came off so I rigged it up to not come off anymore. May be what your problem is.

Well I do know that specific hose was missing off mine! Awesome, I knew there was an issue with the heater somewhere.

I'm going to check tonight to see if I can somehow manage to squeeze the turbo blankets in there. I saw a video online of a company doing a dyno pull with their hand on the blanket. that looked very nice

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PM me after you take a look at your car, heater diaphram area, and would like me to snap off a pic of mine to compare with yours.

OP
OP
D

darkostoj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PM me after you take a look at your car, heater diaphram area, and would like me to snap off a pic of mine to compare with yours.
I have 2 GTS's so I was looking around and noticed that hose was missing. Its bends around like a snake from below the heater motor.

Just curious, what is the actual purpose of this hose? Would this cause the car to constantly blow heat? And more heat the faster you go?

I ordered the blankets yesterday. The drivers side wont be a problem, but the passenger side is going to be a real real tight fit. Hopefully I can squeeze it in there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBVFZ7vJppo

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 2 GTS's so I was looking around and noticed that hose was missing. Its bends around like a snake from below the heater motor.

Just curious, what is the actual purpose of this hose? Would this cause the car to constantly blow heat? And more heat the faster you go?

That hose runs from back behind the knobs on your dash, for the heater.... and the other end connects to the diaphram on the heater flapper, which blocks the hot air from coming into the car. There's your problem. If that flapper is open, air will come into the vent on your hood and go through the flapper, into the car as it passes through your heater core.

See this picture... This is the heater flapper diaphram with the vaccum line connected at the bottom and the arm on the top to open the flap.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/539947_10150891499454210_853329209_9536658_73871642_n.jpg

Step 1:
The vaccume line may actually be there hidden.... but the person who owned the car before you, may have had the heater blower fas assembly apart and the vaccum line is just hung up back behind the blower fan somewhere. When I got my GTS, the guy forgot to plug in a vaccume line around the same area, so it happens.... pfffft..... So, first, pull the heater fan assembly apart (really EASY to do) and start digging around looking for that vaccum line (should be located more towards the passanger footwell direction). If you find it, just plug it in to the bottom of the cylinder (vaccume diaphram). Typically, by default, that diaphram has pressure on it, to keep the heater flap shut, untill you turn the knob on the control panel. So if the flap is staying open, the diaphram may be broken (or sometimes the diaphrams get rusty and kinked, keeping them open, but pulling the diaphram off and squirting some WD-40 in there and working it for a while will bring it back to life).

If you don't see a vaccum line by the heater blower fan area, You'll need to do step 2:
You need to pull the small, center lower area of your dash off, by the stereo.... and then unscrew the heater A/C control panel. Then you can access the back of the panel where the vaccum hoses are connected. You'll find the vaccum block there and can inspect it to see if it is missung a vaccum line. If it is, you'll need to stick one in there and run it to the heater diaphram.

OP
OP
D

darkostoj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anywhere i can find a diagram of the color hoses and locations on the back of the heater controls?

We were talking about a different vacuum hose, there was a larger rubber hose that went by the blower motor itself to the case where the evap stuff is....that one was missing. The one on that you pictured is there on the car and functioning properly I believe. I did pull the Heater controls out and noticed it was missing one vacuum line..the one on the bottom center. Not sure if it is supposed to be like that or not.

I took the complete dash out(not just the trim panel) to look around and see if anything was missing, misplaced, or looked odd. Everything seems to be OK

One last thing it looks like the steering column has been removed and reinstalled in the car. If I look at the column in the engine bay it looks like the gasket may not be seated properly. I think i'm going to have someone shoot the front of the firewall with a leaf blower and i'll crawl inside and see if I feel any air coming in.

That hose runs from back behind the knobs on your dash, for the heater.... and the other end connects to the diaphram on the heater flapper, which blocks the hot air from coming into the car. There's your problem. If that flapper is open, air will come into the vent on your hood and go through the flapper, into the car as it passes through your heater core.

See this picture... This is the heater flapper diaphram with the vaccum line connected at the bottom and the arm on the top to open the flap.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/539947_10150891499454210_853329209_9536658_73871642_n.jpg

Step 1:
The vaccume line may actually be there hidden.... but the person who owned the car before you, may have had the heater blower fas assembly apart and the vaccum line is just hung up back behind the blower fan somewhere. When I got my GTS, the guy forgot to plug in a vaccume line around the same area, so it happens.... pfffft..... So, first, pull the heater fan assembly apart (really EASY to do) and start digging around looking for that vaccum line (should be located more towards the passanger footwell direction). If you find it, just plug it in to the bottom of the cylinder (vaccume diaphram). Typically, by default, that diaphram has pressure on it, to keep the heater flap shut, untill you turn the knob on the control panel. So if the flap is staying open, the diaphram may be broken (or sometimes the diaphrams get rusty and kinked, keeping them open, but pulling the diaphram off and squirting some WD-40 in there and working it for a while will bring it back to life).

If you don't see a vaccum line by the heater blower fan area, You'll need to do step 2:
You need to pull the small, center lower area of your dash off, by the stereo.... and then unscrew the heater A/C control panel. Then you can access the back of the panel where the vaccum hoses are connected. You'll find the vaccum block there and can inspect it to see if it is missung a vaccum line. If it is, you'll need to stick one in there and run it to the heater diaphram.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960