Two Newbie questions....help appreciated

ghayes420

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello. I am picking up my first Viper tomorrow (98 RT/10 w 21K miles). I can't sleep tonight. My wife is getting pissed...

I was reading forums at the Alley and here and I have two quick questions.

1.) Should I go ahead and have the stock power steering pulley and bracket replaced now with a billit type. I am not running a blower. Just smoothies and high flow cats and mufflers. I like to drive spirited :) . Is this something I should address now just in case?

2.) How long does the stock clutch last you guys? Just curious about that one. I thought I might need one here soon with 20K+ miles on the original.

Thanks guys, just trying to get the preventative maintainence (sp) done now so I don't have my wife freak out if this car breaks down anytime soon. Thanks, i will be officially a Viper guy tomorrow! Can't wait!!!

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
2.) How long does the stock clutch last you guys? Just curious about that one. I thought I might need one here soon with 20K+ miles on the original.

Congrats and welcome to the addiction.

I can't help with the first question. In reagrds to the clutch though it all depends on how baddly it was abused prior. These clutches are legendary for their longevity - mine's up to 40k without a problem and I think TVC is pushing 100k on his - and those are both healthily abused. You'll have other problems to deal with long before the clutch wears out (unless the PO did some major slipping which has been known to happen.)

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard of anyone replacing their power steering bracket with a billet one. Haven't even seen them for sale.

As for the clutch, like Bonkers said - no need for replacement yet. Wait until someday (winter) you can swap clutches and flywheels at the same time!

Post pics!

OP
OP
G

ghayes420

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks fellas. It seems that the powersteering pulley and bracket thing only applies to those running a blower. Thanks for your help.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The stock power steering pulley is plastic and has been known to fail on occasion. If you can find a billet pulley, send it to me.
Most here have been using the stock pulley. Certainly nothing to be worried about.
Now your power steering cap is another story. That's something you'll need to keep an eye on.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RE: Billet PS pulley - Call march performance. $89. they usually stock them.

RE: PS Bracket - there are some billet ones out there. A _few_ stock cars have had trouble with them. the problem is greater on ROE SC cars. But not exclusive to those. DLM has a gorgeous PS bracket that i highly recommend.

JD

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Joseph you have a number? Also will I need a part #? I've never done business with these guys before.