TX Front Plate Law

RoadKing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well got my first ticket last weekend on the way to another Viper owner's wedding. The cop told me to bring in a recipt for the front bracket and the judge would waive the ticket. Luckily they are on backorder ;) but I have an invoice to get out of the ticket.

Now here's the good news, that TXLen forwarded me this morning:

ARTICLE 9. REDUCTION IN NUMBER OF LICENSE PLATES
ISSUED
SECTION 9.01.
Subchapter A, Chapter 502, Transportation
Code, is amended by adding Section 502.010 to read as
follows:
Sec. 502.010. ISSUANCE AND DISPLAY OF LICENSE PLATE.
(a) Notwithstanding anything in this code to the
contrary, including
Section 502.180, the department shall issue only one
license plate
for attachment at the rear of the vehicle for which
the plate is
issued.
(a) a person is entitled to operate on a
public highway a vehicle that displays only one
license plate if the
plate is attached at the rear of the vehicle. A person
may operate
on a public highway a vehicle that displays two
license plates if
both plates were assigned by the department for the registration
period as a set of plates.
(b) Notwithstanding anything in this code to the
contrary,
including Section 502.404
(c) In any provision of this code that relates to the
issuance or display of "license plates," "plates," or
a "set of
plates," the term means only one license plate.
SECTION 9.02.
The change in law made by this article
regarding the issuance of license plates by the Texas Department of
Transportation applies only to the issuance of license
plates by
the department for a registration period beginning on
or after the
effective date of this article. For a registration
period that
begins before the effective date of this article, the department
shall issue license plates as required by the law in
effect
immediately before the effective date of this article,
and the
former law is continued in effect for that purpose.
SECTION 9.03.
This article takes effect September 1, 2005.

This is GREAT NEWS for us TEXANS. :2tu:

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So it looks like I'll have to replace my plates!

Intercooler here comes a little more air!

:headbang: :headbang:

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a bunch of bogus! You know I've been pulled over twice now for no plate. I hope you weren't being your usually self! :cool: :cool:
Remember, when you get pulled over, get out and pop the hood before the cop says anything. Its worked twice so far! He'll be too confused to give you the ticket.

FlyBryViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's right, open the hood.
If the officer asks what you are doing, just say...I am letting the heat out, these motors run a little hot, officer...
Works like a charm, or being a senator, unless of course, you have done something to truly deserve a ticket!

troyrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never gotten pulled over. I have never put a license plate on any of my cars. I've been driving for 8 years in Texas now. I've always kind of worried about it though. I'm really glad to see the new law in effect!

I wonder how many Texas Viper owners visit this forum?

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's about time they repeal the front plate laws. I know a lot of guys put them on just to avoid the hassle, but they just look so bad.

OP
OP
R

RoadKing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Troyrt10,

Stay off of 1604 NE side. The cops are miserable now. They pulled me out of a crowd while doing the speed limit for this. Only a few more months of hassle left or at least they'll hassle me for something I'm actually doing!

OP
OP
R

RoadKing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bill is just up for a vote right, it has not been passed yet has it?

I was told it has passed and takes effect Sept.1. I've heard this from 2 different sources, but I'm not a law maker so I can't guarantee 100%.

Kiaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A person may operate on a public highway a vehicle that displays two license plates if both plates were assigned by the department for the registration period as a set of plates.

Can anyone explain what that part meant?

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
If you get out of your car on a traffic stop out here, the police will think you are running, in which case they might shoot you, or they might think you are going for a weapon of some kind, and they will shoot you, or they might think you are ditching a stash, and they will shoot you, or they might get scared for their life, believing that lethal weapon of a hood puts them in imminent danger, and they will shoot you, or......you get the point. Better to get a plate ticket then upset the scare bears. When they do a trafic stop out here, a lot of them unstrap their piece before they approach the car. Its like a war zone out here. LA is up to over 100 murders so far this year. Texas must be a nice atmosphere, where you can jump out of your car and open the hood without touching off a gunfight.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can only hope Ohio will wake up and eliminate the front plate law as well. I don't have one on the car but it would be nice to be legal, where I can.

The state is always complaining about their budget and that they don't have enough $$. Although, god knows we pay enough in taxes already. Anyway, eliminate the front plate and keep registration fees the same. Sounds like extra money to me.

badsnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In NY it is also illegal to run without a front plate. I've been stopped more than once, but never ticketed. One of my buddies who is a NYS trooper told me to tell them he told me not to put the front plate on and if I did put it on then he would ticket me himself ; so far it's worked. Also of note, without a front plate it is very hard for lidar to get acquisition on the SRT especially if black.

troyrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive NE loop 1604 all the time! Better keep my eye open. I have seen at least 3 cop cars in the past 2 months without plates on the front of their cars. Is the law different for them? If the law hasn't passed yet, I better start writtig my representitive asap!!!

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also of note, without a front plate it is very hard for lidar to get acquisition on the SRT especially if black.

Care to elaborate on your source for that info?

Kiaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bill passed the house, was amended in the senate, sent back to the house (which rejected the amendments) and finally pushed back to the senate. If the senate approved the bill with more than 2/3rds majority it would have gone into effect immediately, however, since it didn't the bill will go into effect September 1st.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlo/78R/billtext/HB01523I.HTM

I've also had three different state troopers verify that this bill has passed and will go into effect September 1st.

Kiaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
whoopw, wrong copy/paste... Says nov. 1st, 2005

SECTION 9.01. Subchapter A, Chapter 502, Transportation
Code, is amended by adding Section 502.010 to read as follows:
Sec. 502.010. ISSUANCE AND DISPLAY OF LICENSE PLATE. (a)
Notwithstanding anything in this code to the contrary, including
Section 502.180, the department shall issue only one license plate
for attachment at the rear of the vehicle for which the plate is
issued.
(b) Notwithstanding anything in this code to the contrary,
including Section 502.404(a), a person is entitled to operate on a
public highway a vehicle that displays only one license plate if the
plate is attached at the rear of the vehicle. A person may operate
on a public highway a vehicle that displays two license plates if
both plates were assigned by the department for the registration
period as a set of plates.
(c) In any provision of this code that relates to the
issuance or display of "license plates," "plates," or a "set of
plates," the term means only one license plate.
SECTION 9.02. The change in law made by this article
regarding the issuance of license plates by the Texas Department of
Transportation applies only to the issuance of license plates by
the department for a registration period beginning on or after the
effective date of this article. For a registration period that
begins before the effective date of this article, the department
shall issue license plates as required by the law in effect
immediately before the effective date of this article, and the
former law is continued in effect for that purpose.
SECTION 9.03. This article takes effect November 1, 2005.

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, but you know with all technology already there, it had to happen. Pretty much an extension of the TollTag hardware technology. Next, they put sensors along the interstates and they can track cars automatically. So, maybe soon we will not even need any license plates at all, much less the front one, because cars will be electronically identified.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe the new issue of electronic monitoring will finally get voters to wake up. Can you imagine, every time you go over the speed limit, roll a stop, turn on red when you're not supposed to, or even park illegaly--you get mailed a ticket? The technology for this already exists, and we know the Man is not afraid to use it. Think photo radar, photo red-light tickets, tickets for speeding using the toll-pass system. Remember, you're not paranoid if they really are out to get you.
;)

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
a little off the texas driving scene but here in jersey you must have the plate up front. I never had it put on the snake but my other cars all have them. i was pulled over for racing a camaro buddy of mine, light to light on fine evening coming home from atco raceway and passed a smokie at over 100+ with the camaro farrrrr behind. i never got a ticket for the driving or the tag but the copper did ask me why i never had the tag mounted and of course i lied to him saying the car had one but after a slight accident and bumper replaced (also all BS) i tried ordering one and it was backordered. he looked me right in my eyes and said," i am trying to give the opportunity to drive away from this entire incident "ticket free" and you are gonna sit here and bold face lie to me!" i then fessed up and said, "ok ok i never wanted to drill holes in my bumper and mount such any ugly plate on a car I just drove very seldom. he smiled and thanked me for giving his kids a good story when he got home that evening about there daddy getting a viper. he did tell me he couldnt blame me and off i went!

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would hope the transponder law would not pass also, but I was just trying to get any more facts on the bill status. Just the fact that it is introduced is something to consider - it may not pass this time, but I have got to believe something like it is just a matter of time. ANPRS, Automatic Number Plate Recognition Systems, are being introduced all over the world, and are probably more prone to errors than an RFID system. This is just another step in our Big Brother society.

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Front tags are required here in Virginia also, But, I will never put one on my Viper..I would instead take the ticket please..

Have I been pulled for it? oohhh yeah, I just tell them the car comes from the factory with no allocation (or front license plate delete). or atleast the 97 does...but I have noticed on the 2002 that there are dimples in the front facia for easy drilling to install the license plate holder....

I will tag my car in another state before I drill and mount a front license plate... :mad: my 2c

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cerevo