U-JOINTS

Landman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When replacing u-joints, do most of you put stock u-joints back in or is there a heavy duty u-joint that you switch to? Also, what is the best place to buy them?

Thanks,
Colin

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like lug nuts, don't forget to check and retighten the strap bolts. It only took me about 600 miles to get the one I missed putting Loctite on to be loose enough to screw back in by hand.

OP
OP
L

Landman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On the half shafts it looks like u-joints at each end also. Am I right? If so are they the same as the driveshaft? If not how much are they and can I get them at the same place above. I do have a service manual, I just haven't had much time to look at it due to work. I just want to make sure I have all of my ducks in a row before I get started.
Thanks for the help!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Half shafts use the same joint. I did all of mine on my GTS and I would allow 4 to 6 hours depending on skill and equipment. This isn't rocket science, but it is some work. You have to pull the lower mount off the shock loose to get the half shafts out, and of course on the drive shaft you have to get the car in the air to do that. Just some collateral business. A good 8mm socket is imperative for those pesky screws that hold the straps tight.

I used a cheapo hydraulic press instead of a vise to work the cups. Using sockets of course.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang