Unbelievable air filter replacement realization

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I live in Southern California, where this is supposed to be the land of milk and honey for any car enthusiast.

I've spent the better part of 3 hours trying unsuccessfully to find STOCK REPLACEMENT AIR FILTERS anywhere retail.

Kragen, NOPE

Auto Zone, NOPE

Pep Boys, NOPE

Napa, NOPE

Damn filters are special order EVERYWHERE, and I had each sales person check stock in every respective store in Southern California.

Crazy.

At least I got me some new spark plugs though! Had to go to two stores just to get the required 10! LOL! :lmao:

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem but it took three stores to get all the sparkplugs.I want to say the airfilters are also used by 90's thunderbird I am not sure but it seems like there was a common user use the search function

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How old are you guys? On-line shopping is where it is at. It's not like if it takes 2-3 extra days your car will blow up without a new air filter or plugs? Also, if you plan ahead you can order them on wed and have them for the weekend.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How old are you guys? On-line shopping is where it is at. It's not like if it takes 2-3 extra days your car will blow up without a new air filter or plugs? Also, if you plan ahead you can order them on wed and have them for the weekend.
I agree. Though we dont have ferrari's, the Viper and its special parts are still very rare. its not like they make 35k units a year, so most stores wont stock stuff for us. I always order stuff from Parts rack, get it in about 2 days. Oil filters and some other stuff, I'll get at dealer, but i'll usually buy 2-3 at a time, so I dont have to go often.

But in a world of internet and online shopping, you dont even have to leave the house anymore.:cool:

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB ended up supplying the filters but what the hell is planning ahead?You mean I am the only one who gets a wild hair to do something?You would be surprised the things you can find with a good parts guy.

OP
OP
X

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Like the previous replier said, I did get a wild hair to do some preventative maint. this Sunday afternoon.

Already did a full oil change myself a week ago.

Figured I'd do plugs and the air filters.

I bought the plugs, but can't get my plug sockets in to get the plugs to remove them because they don't fit, LOL!

As I stated before I looked all over for Air filters to no avail

I know my way around a car pretty well. You have to remember that the other cars we own (Volvo C70, 04 Cobra, FX35) you can find maintenance parts at any local auto parts store no problem.

The most "exotic" engine I've worked on was a 24V Supercharged Jaguar XJR I used to own, and even that I could find parts anywhere.

The thing is:

Jaguar XJR shares almost ALL consumable items with XJ6, and there are a million of those on the road

04 Cobra, although equipped with handbuilt supercharged engine shares oil filter, air filter, etc with more pedestrian Mustang GT, and those are a dime a dozen.

Just realized that with population of 25,000 and not sharing common parts with other vehicles leads to interesting snafus such as this.

Tomorrow is Monday and I can most likely get filters anywhere (since it's not Sunday) problem is solved.

Just something to be aware of for next time!

Thanks.

Tim

OP
OP
X

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had the same problem but it took three stores to get all the sparkplugs.I want to say the airfilters are also used by 90's thunderbird I am not sure but it seems like there was a common user use the search function

FYI, I believe the Tbird shares rear brake pads with Gen 1 or Gen 2 Vipers, not air filters with SRT-10.
:2tu:

OP
OP
X

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I ended up going to visit Dan Cragin at lunch time.

Picked up two Green Filters while I was down there.

Dan and his staff are the epitome of class.

It was the first time for me going to his shop and I got lost. I am the type of person that gets really frustrated when I can't find where I am going. I didn't have my GPS in the Volvo today so I was really ready to flip out.

I called Dan and he sent someone out from his shop to get me!! He admitted the area is a little difficult when someone first comes by. If anyone knows what I am talking about, getting off the 10 and trying to find the RIGHT ROBERTSON drive, you can sympathize with me.

Dan and his staff welcomed me into the shop. They must have over 20 Vipers there right now!!

I also ended up picking up a Corsa Track exhaust for my Viper while I was there. This was an unexpected purchase but he had them in stock and I wanted to support a local vendor/shop.

Very good impression on Dan and his crew and shop.

He took time out of his busy day to talk to me for a half hour on the car and some of my questions. He was even nice to show me some tips for me since I was going to self install the pipes myself.

Seems like a first class proprietor and operation over there at DC Performance.

Thanks Dan!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21