Untitled 92 Value?

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am thinking about picking up an untitled 92, number 207. The car has a few hundred miles on it. Any thoughts on how to value the car?

OP
OP
R

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This would definitely be a keeper and be decomissioned in my garage. Thought process is the total production versus attrition of 17 years minus the first few dozen cars that are in Dodge top brass' hands. The dealer / owner turned down $120k a few years ago but he is playing ball.

Car has the original side curtains, soft top and books. It has literaly been sitting the showroom all this time.

Anyone have auction results for the MY92 RT's?

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
maybe 50k in my eyes the car if it is going to be driven is going to need to be recommisioned has it had head gaskets done(or orginals), greased bearings and zerks, 16yr old oil and coolant? ect... mechanical things do not like being static for that long. I'd rather buy one thats been used some and maintained than one that was just mothballed

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep in mind as soon as you title it its worth what other low mileage 92s are bringing.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
maybe 50k in my eyes the car if it is going to be driven is going to need to be recommisioned has it had head gaskets done(or orginals), greased bearings and zerks, 16yr old oil and coolant? ect... mechanical things do not like being static for that long. I'd rather buy one thats been used some and maintained than one that was just mothballed

Wouldn't there still be a 3 year warranty in effect once it is titled, therefore covering head gaskets?

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont think the fact it is untitled(except for the fact the buyer can be considered the first owner) matters much and there are lots of very low mile '92's out there if you set your mind to it

OP
OP
R

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No way would I title it and put tags on it, let alone drive it. This would sit in the garage and fast forward 20 years. It is literally in show room condition and I would keep it that way.

No idea of its worth down the road but I'm thinking that there are probably not that many 92s running around these days.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$70K invested at 10%/year for 20 years will be worth $470,925. That's your "break even" target.

And you don't get to drive it. :(

OP
OP
R

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
10% on your money is pretty good right now. Which market are you playing in? Regardless money doesn't mean everything. I'd like to own a piece of history and have something to pass on when life's sun sets on me.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm all for driving the wheels off Vipers, but if I had a 92' (untitled or not), you'd be hard pressed to get me to drive it. A 92' Viper belongs in a museum (or a museum quality garage). Any other year...drive em' like you stole em'! :) It may or may not be worth a gazillion $$ in the future, but I agree with the OP. It'd be an awesome thing just to have in the family and keep for many many many years

OP
OP
R

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, back on track. Anyone have auction results for something like this? I see one note of $60-70k but nothing to support that number.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the members sold a 92 about 6 months ago. It was a high mileage car though, but sold for $25K. Not much help with a price. I saw on back a few years ago with 52 miles on the clock. The dealer was asking $49K at the time.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The logic of being able to pass it down to someone is irrelevant considering you could still pass it down if it had 20K,50K,or100K miles on it.

Q: What is the difference between a 0mile viper sitting in a garage/museum
and a 100Kmile viper sitting in a garage/museum?

A: Nothing unless your sitting in it looking at the odometer saying:
(its a Sin that this car was not driven) or
(100Kmiles? I'll bet someone had some fun with this one!!!)

snap out of it guys!

almost forgot, the value? umm i'd say its worth what other great condition gen1's are bringing. If at auction it might bring alittle more with the "collector" crowd, $45K tops

HHI VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Long term investment money...look at another avenue unless you can steal it.:dunno: To have and to hold??? Well lets just say them words have not been a good investment for some!!!!:D I believe in driving mine! Thats my return on my investment.:2tu: The actual worth I believe is what you could expect from a collector and that would be the right person at the right time. If the dealer could not sell it for his price then whatever you buy it for would be a concideration of the value:dunno: It would be very cool to have though.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tracked the sale price of 92's a few years ago before I bought the one I did, a never titled low mile 92 usually sold for between $48K to $70K MAX. A few dealerships still have some that are no milers and usually those guys ask what they paid for them out of pride as no one is willing to pay the prices they are asking. The one I bought had 5K miles and I got it for $35K. The market has softened incredibly since then soooo...... Pay what you think its worth to you to own the car, but DO NOT EXPECT ANYONE ELSE to second your opinion if you think it is worth $100K+

DFW GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A low mileage 96 B/W GTS will be a lot better investment in the long run.
I own a '96 GTS so I would love to agree with you, but, I think which car becomes the better investment depends on how far down the road you are looking. Just for comparison purposes look at Corvettes as an example (I use the Corvette as an example because early production numbers are very similar to those of the Viper).

The value of first year Corvettes (1953) for many years lagged behind mid-year Corvettes (1963-1967) because they lacked the styling, amenities, and performance of the later cars (draw your own parallels). However, if you look at Corvette values today you will see that the 1953's now bring $250K - $700K compared to $40K - $100K for the average mid-year Corvette.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, there's your 10% return.

$3500 Corvette base price in 1953, invest at 10% for 55 years and result is $661,707. (Minus all the storage, property taxes, restorations, mouse traps, etc.)

I'll be 92 when my car is 55 years old. I'm such a party pooper.

OP
OP
R

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not so interested in the performance. I had a Gen I and all the wonderful issues that they are known for are fresh in my memory. I'm a Viper guy, like the rest of us and I'll probably buy the car just to have it and pass on. If it returns something more than what I paid for it in 20 years when combustion gasoline cars are thing of distant memory, then yes, I'm a happier guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jandrix302