Unusual...

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, I went for a ride in my Viper today and I didn't spring an oil leak, blow a gasket, need an Arrow rebuild, or fishtail into a curb!

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What?You drove your car and didn't crash?I bet you squeezed down on the pedals instead of jumping on them and didn't suffer from any form of brain failure.Next time just use the pedals like you were pulling the trigger on a shot gun.That will do it for sure.Now go out there and help keep up the flow of cheap spare parts. Bruce

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay Doc, level with me, am I gonna pull thru?

Hunting for my GTS, debating to go new or used, import from the states up to Canada, yada, yada, but the time to buy is this winter for me, leaning to blue/white 96/97 as of now.
Problem being when I read a post like yours it pulls the Civic-demon in my head over to the NSX side, NOT where I want it to be!!!
Bottom line is the build quality of these things to the point that it takes away from the enjoyment of the car?
looking for some been there done that input......
happy trails,
Ryan

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I second that. ABSOLUTELY no problems with mine. I put about 1,000 miles a month on mine as my daily driver. I had an nsx and, trust me, great car but dont pay grande $$$$$$ for a really nice civic. The NSX is fun but it just feels too much like a honda. Its not THAT fast and the brakes ****. Also you have to swap tires every 3-4,000 miles. They look cool. Thats about it. Pretty reliable though.

GET A VIPER!!!! Come to Ohio and Ill give you mine for a few hours and you will be convinced.

GOOD LUCK IN YOUR VIPER HUNT!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
98 RT/10 31K miles.
97 GTS 30K miles tracked over a dozen events this year. Driven to, raced at and driven from the tracks. Sebring, Homestead, Moroso, Gainesville, Road Atlanta, VIR, Road America.

Tampa to Viper Days Road America the furthest so far.

Normal maintenance on both. Fluids, brakes, plugs, wires.

OP
OP
V

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GenX,

The Viper seems pretty reliable to me. Wanna try a piece of junk: My 1998 Jaguar XJ8L defines junk!

The good thing about the Viper is that it's stripped down. It really takes away from all the problems you get with memory seats and active handling like on the Vette I use to own.

Although, I am surprised at what seems to be a high percentage of posters that need to send their engine to Arrow for a rebuild! It just seems way too common on this board. Afterall, it's just an internal combustion engine -- and a pretty low tech one at that. I had a Lotus Esprit SE, now that was a pretty exotic 4 cylinder. I very rarely heard of any major engine problems from my fellow Esprit owners during the 5 years I owned it (except for the ones that way over-boosted them on purpose).

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Doc, didn't that little 2.2 in the Lotus pump out 264 horse or something crazy for the first 30 seconds or so, and then fall back after that, recall reading that, cool car nonetheless....

I am buying a Viper, it's that simple, no other car meets the needs, and while I love to tune and even wrench my vehicles, after renting in Vegas the whole quality issue is still nagging at me, to the point that VCA members were telling me I don't deserve a Viper if I question the build quality, haha, gotta love the internet, it gets told as it is!
Guess I'll have to get over a bad rental ride and hope a maintained car that is not abused is a solid car, my time will come, Blue/White is all my search key is allowing at the moment, which is limiting me to 96/97........just old enough to perhaps remove important engine parts and replace them with higher flowing ones????
smile.gif

who knows,
Ryan
Hey Sapphire, not sure on the taking your car for a few hours, but seriously, are you still taking her out on decent days or tucked away? A road trip to Ohio to get some seat time (passenger of course) would help ease my quality woes! let me know....94 octane is on me!

OP
OP
V

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GenX,

No, it was 280 for 30 seconds and then dropped back to 264...To put it in perspective, if the Viper was putting out the same hp/liter as that Esprit, the Viper would be pumping out 1018 hp!