Unwanted Attention

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had my '08 for a few months now and have gotten the "Hey, nice car" frequently, but what happened yesterday is a new one and not a good one...

So a get a message on my cell phone from I guy I've hired a few times over the last decade. He mostly does landscaping. I've had him trim trees or spread mulch once every 3-4 years. Ususally spend $500 or so for the work. 3 years ago he painted a lot of fence to the tune of $4500.

Again, probably have used is services 4 times. This year I asked him to do a little bit of work in trade. Total value was probably $300, though cash did not change hands. We don't have a joking releationship. Pretty much all business.

So I see the message is from him, and I'm thinking he needs my help loading his truck or wants to ask a simple question. Instead I hear this:

"Mr Viper-itch, John Doe how are you this evening? Ah, give me a call when you get a chance, 555-1212. Need to borrow a couple hundred thousand dollars and I figured you got it. Thank you Sir, and have a good evening." :omg:

Told this to my wife and the first thing she says, is "He must have seen the Viper"

I certainly hope this is not the case! He'd would have gone out of his way to peer into the garage and I doubt I've passed him.

So do Viper owners get hit up for huge loans from almost strangers? Do I need to evaluate my opsec?:mad:

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Could be worse though...people could be vandalizing the car, etc. That's what I was expecting to read.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick! Call the White House to have O'bama broker another beer summit to work this out!

This doesn't bode well for the price he's going to give you the next time you need some work done...

OP
OP
V

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This doesn't bode well for the price he's going to give you the next time you need some work done...

No, it doesn't. :rolaugh:

Yeah, he won't be invited back. It's not like one strike and he's out, maybe more like 2. But I'm done with him.

If a joke, it was a very poor one. If serious, It was a poor way of asking.

I didn't return the call. He actually rang again this morning, but I was in a meeting. No message, and I'm still not interested in calling him back.

2001-V10 Power Nut

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Just tell him the bank own's the car, and he'd have to ask the bank for a loan, just like you did. Whether you have a loan or not.

On the other hand his comments sounded kinda quirky, was he joking possibly?? Who asks a relative stranger for $200,000+-??? Maybe just an odd way of saying, hey I noticed the car??

Last edited:

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Probably just drunk or some thing. No one should be dumb enough to ask somone they barely know for a couple hundred dollars. As far as peaking into your garage - i don't think I'd want him back. When I have someone work on my house or my rentals I want them in and out as fast as possible, if I ever caught 1 sneaking or peaking around I'd fire them on the spot in fear that they were going to steal from me.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds like something someone would say after a night at the bar.

Thats what I was going to say, if he was drinking or not. Usually when someone asks me a question like that, I tell them thats WHY I don't have any more money, I spent it all on the Viper. I'm usually pretty generous but if someone tries to over charge me because of what I have they won't do it but Once. JMO

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also nowdays you have to be very selective of who you let work at your house, you see all the time where yard workers or house workers have returned at night to rob the people whose house they were working at the day or week before. Some of these people do it just to scan your house for that very reason. And don't even think about letting them in to use your bathroom.

E_tar

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah it happens. But I never lend money to friends I like and want to keep. In the past I've lent money to close friends and have been ignored after that. It just gets very awkward. Also, I would never ask or remind them. It's sad but it does happen. Especially these days when a lot of people are hurting financially, they might resent you for driving a pricey car, not envy you.

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before I get any pricing done I make sure the viper is out of sight, I have noticed higher price for anything I want done around the house if the viper is out in the drive way.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At least he didnt think it was your dads car, or parents house........ That's what I get ALL the time. Just forget him and move on to the next!

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
:dunno: I'd be careful, don't take any chances. :nono: Do you know him well? Do you have any info on him? like ssn, real name / address, does he have a police record ? I "ALWAYS" hide the Viper. I would still talk to him at least long enough to find out why he made a remark like that. I'm sure you have an alarm system ? Ya never know what is going on in someone's mind. :crazy2: Wouldn't overreact, but cover all bases. Good Luck. :2tu:

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got 3 estimates to paint the inside of my garage while my gts was covered up on the lift. The 2 estimates from the guys that asked what kind of car it is were 50% higher thanthe guy that didnt ask and is out there right now working on it.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im guessing it was a joke, just by the amount of the "loan" if he said 2- 5 grand, could have been serious

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The guys is just joking around. I get that kind of stuff all the time. If the guy does good honest work, why quit using him? Maybe he thinks you are friends (he did work 4 times-some relaitionship has developed) and he felt comfortable joking with you. Quoting a line from the movie Stripes: "Lighten up, Francis..."

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im guessing it was a joke, just by the amount of the "loan" if he said 2- 5 grand, could have been serious

Obvious joke, he probably saw you driving around with the Viper and just wanted to give a :poke:. Don't take every so literally, life is too short.

V10 PWRD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If I get any kind of home improvement estimate I keep the garage door closed and the car is under a cover. If door just happens to be open the standard question is "you gotta vette under there?". I tell 'em "yep, it's my kid's and he's restoring it and has been for a year". I can't afford those toys but if I could it would be a Viper.

chambers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am drunk while writing this. I have fallen and I cant get up to hit the Enter key. Can I borrow 3000.00? I need new tires for my Viper

OP
OP
V

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3K you can have. I just need a lien on your Viper and some interest... . :D

I have no relationship with this guy. I last talked to him two years ago. This latest work my wife set up. I was a bit surprised he even had my cell number.

So, yeah, I'm taking it as a joke and letting it go. But WOW, very off the wall if you ask me... Maybe he is losing his marbles? He's near 70.

:dunno:
t

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey, Can I borrow $10.000 from you?? I will pay you if you take me for a ride in your viper...

Dont take that guys seriously. He would never pay you back anyways.

The question that I hear the most over here when I am driving my car or pull to a gas station is:

HOW MUCH does this one cost:evilmad:?

Since I was so sick of hearing that same old BULL C R @ P thing everytime I came up with two answers and always stick with them;

A COUPLE BUCKS...
OR
GOOOOGLE IT!

And after I bought the car was thinking that people were gonna ask engine #s and cool things like that..... Yeah right, I was wrong, very wrong.. :(

Sometimes, I just wish that people wouldnt make this stupid, jealous comments so much when I am driving and just let me drive in peace.

If I were you would never return the phone calls from that guy. Also would make sure that the alarm system is covering the garage area as well. I know, I am a little paranoid...

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So yesterday I got a bit of the good attention. We were cruising past the local park and noticed a sign for a car show. On the way back home, 3 hours later, we stopped by to check it out. As we pulled up to the entrance there was a group directing traffic and I asked what the deal was. The lady said, "pull straight ahead to register." I said I just wanted to check it out and she said, "Your not showing THIS car? You're kidding, right?" :D

Oh, the other thing I noticed driving around was a lot of the corvette guys waving.... At least until they figured out what they we're looking at! A few actually pulled back the wave. :lmao: