1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade Stereo

Discussion in 'SRT10 and SRT10 Coupe Discussions' started by B-DiamondViper, Oct 15, 2019.

1. B-DiamondViper

B-DiamondViper Enthusiast

Looking into upgrading my stereo to something with Apple Car Play/Android Auto. But I am finding it difficult due to the OEM 1.5 DIN stereo. Don't want to modify the bezel if at all possible. Anybody out there done this?

Thx

2. MoparMap

MoparMap VCA National President

Guess it depends on what all you want. You can get a 1 DIN stereo and a new bezel that will fill the gap, but that doesn't leave much for screen size, especially if you are looking for a cellphone integration setup. I think there was a vendor that sells a new center console plate that is set up for a double DIN stereo though. I want to say Viper Specialty off the top of my head.

3. B-DiamondViper

Thanks MoparMap. I think I found a good option. Pioneer makes a system with a screen that flips out and retracts that has everything I want plus it fits in my car with no modifications.

4. MoparMap

MoparMap VCA National President

Cool, glad you came up with something. I had a flip out screen radio in my car when I bought it, but it was just kinda goofy and in the way. It would flip up in front of the dash vents. It was an older unit though. I think a lot of the new ones flip a lot differently and take up less space.

5. mike1779

mike1779 Viper Owner

6. kssssnake

kssssnake Enthusiast

Mine has the coolest radio. Old Kenwood with retractable in dash DVD player, Garmin GPS and rear back up camera. Regarding your search, there is probably an interface that just tunes in to an FM channel. Had them back in the day.

B-DiamondViper likes this.
  7. B-DiamondViper

This one is going to interfere with the vents as well. There are very few options available without having to modify the bezel and I want to keep it as stock as possible. This unit does however still operate with the screen in the retracted position in case I am in desparate need of the A/C

8. B-DiamondViper

Went with a Pioneer 3300NEX. It has a retractable screen plus Apple Car Play/Android Auto and a backup camera. Also going with Infiniti speakers, Kicker Sub and Pioneer Amp. I will let you know how it sounds when I get it installed.

mike1779 likes this.
  9. David Hinrichs

David Hinrichs Enthusiast

Looking for a stock unit, what are your plans?

10. B-DiamondViper

I am not sure what I am going to do with the stock unit. Was thinking about keeping in case I sell the car and the new owner wants to return it to stock. If I change my mind I will let you know.

11. David McSeveny

David McSeveny Enthusiast

Hi David Hinrichs
    I found a stock stereo in Australia for my 93 Gen 1
    I know he has a few
    Send him an email his name is Dion.
    [email protected]

Cheers
    David

12. David Hinrichs

David Hinrichs Enthusiast

Thanks. From what I gather, a mini van radio will also fit, may give that a try for $50 or so.