Upgrade Stereo

B-DiamondViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking into upgrading my stereo to something with Apple Car Play/Android Auto. But I am finding it difficult due to the OEM 1.5 DIN stereo. Don't want to modify the bezel if at all possible. Anybody out there done this?

Thx

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Guess it depends on what all you want. You can get a 1 DIN stereo and a new bezel that will fill the gap, but that doesn't leave much for screen size, especially if you are looking for a cellphone integration setup. I think there was a vendor that sells a new center console plate that is set up for a double DIN stereo though. I want to say Viper Specialty off the top of my head.

OP
OP
B-DiamondViper

B-DiamondViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks MoparMap. I think I found a good option. Pioneer makes a system with a screen that flips out and retracts that has everything I want plus it fits in my car with no modifications.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Cool, glad you came up with something. I had a flip out screen radio in my car when I bought it, but it was just kinda goofy and in the way. It would flip up in front of the dash vents. It was an older unit though. I think a lot of the new ones flip a lot differently and take up less space.

kssssnake

Enthusiast
Venom Member
Reaction score
Mine has the coolest radio. Old Kenwood with retractable in dash DVD player, Garmin GPS and rear back up camera. Regarding your search, there is probably an interface that just tunes in to an FM channel. Had them back in the day.

OP
OP
B-DiamondViper

B-DiamondViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool, glad you came up with something. I had a flip out screen radio in my car when I bought it, but it was just kinda goofy and in the way. It would flip up in front of the dash vents. It was an older unit though. I think a lot of the new ones flip a lot differently and take up less space.
This one is going to interfere with the vents as well. There are very few options available without having to modify the bezel and I want to keep it as stock as possible. This unit does however still operate with the screen in the retracted position in case I am in desparate need of the A/C

Robertvar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went with a Pioneer 3300NEX. It has a retractable screen plus Apple Car Play/Android Auto and a backup camera. Also going with Infiniti speakers, Kicker Sub and Pioneer Amp. I will let you know how it sounds when I get it installed.

How is that Pioneer head unit treating you? Would you recommend it?

Sorry for being off topic. Maybe you can help me. I'm on a quest for a new stereo. I've been reading reviews about Pioneer stereos but they are useless hype. It's beyond me why people are doing it.

This head unit landed on my short list AVH-4500NEX. From all the blogs that I've read one stood out. The blogger was hyper critical about Pioneer and put me on the fence. Well this Pioneer DVD player review was OK until I've reached the shortcomings section.

How hard is to install these units anyways? How long does it take to connect your phone to the HU? Is it that bad?

Ideas?

OP
OP
B-DiamondViper

B-DiamondViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be honest I have only driven the car a couple times since I had it installed (rainy season in Seattle) That being said it sound GREAT!. I love the flip up screen. It does interfere with the heating/cooling vents but not a big deal. I also had Infinity speakers, Kicker Sub and a 2,000 watt amp installed. I ordered the stuff on Amazon and paid a Stereo installation shop $400 to do the install.

RGPIII

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be honest I have only driven the car a couple times since I had it installed (rainy season in Seattle) That being said it sound GREAT!. I love the flip up screen. It does interfere with the heating/cooling vents but not a big deal. I also had Infinity speakers, Kicker Sub and a 2,000 watt amp installed. I ordered the stuff on Amazon and paid a Stereo installation shop $400 to do the install.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but how did this work out? Any interference with shifting? photos?

OP
OP
B-DiamondViper

B-DiamondViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but how did this work out? Any interference with shifting? photos?
It worked out good. I have since sold the car and upgraded to a Gen 4. I just put a new system in that one too. This time I had the guy modify the bezel to fit a 6" flat screen which I love. He also modified the space where the sub goes. Check out the pics on his Facebook page. Go to FB and type in Musical Indulgence and scroll down and you will find the pictures.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave