USB/Headphone Jack in MGW Ashtray

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a Clarion VRX575USB with iPod control capabilities, but the interface is really slow and it doesn't support the iPhone. I decided I didn't want wires hanging out and wanted a clean USB and headphone jack mounted somewhere out of sight, so I figured "why not cut up a $100 MGW ashtray?!"

I didn't know how good this would turn out, so I didn't document the whole process, but I'm happy with the way it came out and took a few shots at the end. I soldered a 1/8" stereo headphone jack to a plug, then cut a hole for the flexible USB extender. I sanded down the rubber piece in the ashtray so the lid sat flush on it and so the finish was consistent. I used some contact cement to anchor the headphone jack to the back of the rubber piece and just used the hole for the screw so I didn't have to drill.

Now when I'm listening to the iPod via the head unit, the music will dim when I get a call, so I can ACTUALLY hear my phone ring!

Lid closed:
You must be registered for see images

The back/wires:

The inside:

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Typical texas lawn requirements, Scotts **** and feed and a big bag o fire ant killer. BTW you can come do mine this weekend.

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Typical texas lawn requirements, Scotts **** and feed and a big bag o fire ant killer. BTW you can come do mine this weekend.

You want me to fertilize your lawn this weekend and kill fireants? I can kill 2 birds with one stone; all I need is a stomach full of TexMex and the cover of night. Do you have an HOA? Last time I "fertilized" my lawn the cops came over...

propsail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn, that's nice and clean. Do you have pics of the head unit install? Does that model have navi? I'm planning to upgrade in the Spring and you must have read my mind w/ the ashtray idea.

Thanks,

Craig

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Damn, that's nice and clean. Do you have pics of the head unit install? Does that model have navi? I'm planning to upgrade in the Spring and you must have read my mind w/ the ashtray idea.

Thanks,

Craig

I don't believe that model has nav. It's outdated anyway; it was hard to find at the beginning of '08 because it was an '07 model. The main reason I bought it was for aesthetics; I wanted a matte black head unit with brushed buttons and you would NOT believe how hard it was to find. I was redoing my gray interior black and wanted it to look consistent throughout the cabin.

Here is a pic of it:

Here is everything back together:

And a close-up (complete with VCA plaque!):

And I'm proud to say now that it's all back together, it all works seamlessly! I can listen to MP3s on a USB key or charge my phone via USB cable, and listen to the built-in iPod on the phone or Pandora radio via the stereo jack. When the ashtray is closed, it doesn't look any different than it did before.

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
FYI, the in-dash screen clears everything when it comes out, but there is very little room around the stick when it's in 1st, 3rd or 5th. If your hand is on it while you're shifting you may get a pinched finger. I have a stock shifter with a MGW First Strike shift knob, that may help with clearance.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you exchange the heater controls with the radio or is the Gen I just that way.

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did you exchange the heater controls with the radio or is the Gen I just that way.

I personally didn't swap them, but it doesn't mean a previous owner didn't. I haven't paid attention to other cars but I think the Gen. I's have the heater controls above the head unit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21