UV coating peeling off headlights?

cujo200231

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was vinyling my car, I noticed that some of the coating on the headlight was peeling off. I dont know if the vinyl pulled it off in certain spots that I had the vinyl laying on it, or if it was peeling before. Anyway, what is the best perminant fix for this? going to a body shop, having them sanded and recoated?

Also, Is it possible just to buy the clear housings?

ninjakris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
we have a problem with that down here in florida. There is a couple different lens restoration kits out there you could try. I Have the mothers (I think) powerball kit and it works pretty well. If its bad enough that you have distinct lines, you can wet sand the lens to clear it up. As for recoating the lens, I don't know. I didn't even know there was a coating on it, I though the discoloration was related to the lens itself getting oxidized. With the powerball kit, it does come with a lens filler/polisher after you buff out the lens.

I also don't think you will find new housings. I was going to do that for our subaru because of the headlight discoloration, but found that its basically the whole headlight assembly or nothing. I might be wrong for the viper, but odds are that you would buy the whole thing. If you can post a picture, I might be able to help out a little more. Also, try posting this in the detailing section, there are some smart guys that reply in that section.

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen this before. The lenses have a coating to prevent oxidation. It is very thin but can be sanded and resprayed. After that I recommend putting paint protection film on them to prevent any damage in the future.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Polish them and then go to Lamin-X and order some headlight covers. They have Viper cuts. The covers can be removed and replaced when needed.

OP
OP
C

cujo200231

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Id post pics but i dumped water on my main computers keyboard and have to install it in my laptop yet. There is a company about an hour from me that does headlight restoration and supposedly the do put the UV coating back starting at 50 a headlight. Im just hoping that it is not a gimmick nor a scam and is as good if not better than OEM. I may be putting headlight tints on it since I already have the tail lights done

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960