V-TEN at VIR July 16-18, Long Story

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The V-TEN Racing Chronicles written by Tom Wilson

Sorry this took so long to get out.

Viper Days at Virginia International Raceway, Somewhere in the Woods of Southern VA, July 16-18

The GA boys were looking forward to VIR since it is a fantastic track and facility and only a six hour drive from Atlanta. For Newt on the other hand, his drive was longgggggggggggg. To make the trip a little easier, Newt finally replaced the family motor home with “the ride.” The pre-owned motor home made VIR very enjoyable. Although temps were in the mid-80’s vs. mid-90’s last year, it was nice to get out of the car and cool off in the ac. We headed to VIR Thursday am and expected to be setting up by late afternoon. However, Atlanta traffic and a blown trailer tire in Charlotte had us arriving after the gates were closed. Food, we need to find food. Outback to the rescue. Yes mam, may I have the left side of the menu please? What items do you want? All of them! So you want 9 different appetizers and ……. Well maybe not. How about……………

The Track:
+ This is a new track to Newt and the second time for Eyal and myself;
+ The track is 3.27 miles long with 21 turns. The track has two major straights, the back straight that is 4,000 ft long and the front straight, which is 3,000 feet long. Elevation change is listed as 130 ft but seems like much more. At the end of the back straight we were between 145 and 150 mph. Man, at 120 plus you crest a hill not knowing what is on the other side. I tell myself to keep my foot to the floor and trust that the corner worker I glance at will let you know if there is trouble. All I can say is VIR is one great track. Then there are the esses. A combination of about six high-speed turns that dare you to plant you foot on the floor. Did I mention that it is inclined, smile.
+ Ok, enough about the track, you get the picture. Newt when asked if he like the track and was the trip worth it? He responded, “Are you kidding?” He must think it’s ok.

Car Prep (Team Secrets, don’t tell other Viper Days Participants):
With my oil problems behind me so I thought, I set out to address the smoking problem with the help of Newt and Matt Bejnarowicz from Dodge Motorsports. This is the fix recommended by Matt that eliminated my smoking problem: “The problem you are seeing under braking is indeed an oil pull over from the vacuum side of your PCV system. Under race conditions and at high RPM, oil will accumulate at the top of the block. Then when you snap the throttle shut and hit the brakes, you get a large vacuum in the intake manifold and oil is pulled into the manifold. Unfortunately, oil effectively lowers your octane rating and could lead to spark knock situations. The best solution is very easy. The stock PCV system has two sides. The first is the vacuum side that comes from the block, into a T fitting, and connects behind the 2 throttle bodies. The second part is the make-up air. This goes from the valve cover to the air box and is at atmospheric pressures. I would recommend capping the line from the block. Next either cap the ******* behind the throttle bodies or connect the two with a single piece of vacuum hose. On the make-up air side, I believe you have already run both valve covers into the air box. I would recommend buying some oil separators (these are cheap and can be purchased at Ramchargers, Mr. gasket, and even came stock on many Chrysler engines - I think 5.9 and 5.2L). They look like a cylindrical cans with a ****** port and may be described as breather cans. Should cost about $10 ea. Install these on the valve covers and run the exit lines into the air box. This should take care of oil pull over and push over issues. If you do not have time to get the separators, capping the vacuum side of the system will resolve most of your problems until you can finish the job. The downside to removing the PCV system is less crankcase circulation to remove moisture. As long as you change your oil often (most people change the oil after each race weekend or 2) and don't drive the car for very short trips all of the time (less than 20 minutes) this should not be a factor for you.”

The Weekend:
Friday, at the track by 7am and do some minor maintenance like checking to see if I replaced the oil filler cap after changing the oil. Got that bugger this time. Friday am Archer Racing Accessories installed a quick release steering wheel and extension which would eliminate my right knee hitting the steering wheel every time I switch from the go to slow pedal. Man, that is a change you big guys should consider to improve driver comfort. You do lose the air bag and should have, and use, 5/6-point harnesses from now on (track and street). Last year I pledged to be a better person. Why? VIR was 95 degrees plus and I did not want to spend eternity in a place said to be much hotter than VIR. It must have paid off since the weekend saw a high of 86 with tropical breezes from Alaska. From the start, our lap times were better than last year. Wow, Viper Days did make us better drivers! Now, how much better will we be. I had a particular goal in mind. Go faster than last year’s winner Mr. Taco (Welcome to Moe’s) and win the class.

Participation at VIR was great due to 75 Vipers (20 plus new drivers) 12 Corvettes, numerous Porsches, a BMW and 4 Neons. Since the track is almost 4 miles in length, there was never a concern with too many cars on the track at any one time.

The day ends and we go through the cars: check pads, tires, and oil. I check the oil and it in down about a quart and I add that amount. Do you know where this is going?

Saturday. Clear windows, check starting tire pressures, and check oil. Oil seems to be down a quart. The car has not moved since I checked it last. Is this thing drinking oil over night? I add the amount of oil to get it half way up on the hash marks, which should be 9 quarts. Conditions are ideal, 82 degrees, dry, tents and a motor home. The first session saw each of us leading our classes by a comfortable margin. I had only one mishap, missed shift at Hog Pen and through the wet grass I went with a Corvette and George Whelen driving by while I take the short cut. Into pit lane to check for damage and to talk to the track Steward about the condition of my pants. All is dry and no damage. Our times for the day continue to get quicker except for the last session, which is expected.

Flashback to earlier Saturday: After the first session I noticed some oil under my car. Can you guess why before reading further? What’s going on now? Open the hood and oil is all over the steering rack and dripping on the ground. Man, motor issue, oil hose loose, ??????. Oil pressure is fine. No sign of leaks when I start and run the engine. Eyal, “Did you overfill the oil?” Tom, “No way on Earth.” Over to Archer Racing Accessories. “Hey, John, I have oil leaking from my car.” “I will have it looked at ASAP.” After a few minutes, John Archer says to me, “You overfilled the oil.” “Man, I thought that might be the case, smile.” Back at the team pits I had to admit my mistake. Then it hit me like a barrel of oil from 100 feet. I parked the car where it was tilted towards the drivers side about 2 degrees which is why it read 2 quarts low, rut row. The first thing I learned after getting my first car 200 years ago was to check the oil level 2 minutes after shut-down and on level ground. Missed just one of the oil god’s axioms.

Smack Down Sunday
Switch to second set of used wheels and tires. Hammer down while maintaining control is the motto for Sunday. We all run our fastest times and distanced ourselves from the pack, so we thought. It was much closer for Newt and myself. Ok, second session and a moderate pace I missed shift (turn 2 this time) and off into the grass I go. Several cars pass. Is that George again. Didn’t he start in front of me? I get back on track without hitting anything and come into the pits. John Archer looks at the fascia and removes some grass and comes over as says. “Raise the blade”, Tom, “What?” “Raise the blade, you were mowing grass weren’t you?” Oh man. John 1: Raise the blade. You got to laugh.

Our Results:
V-TEN Sweep (got to say it since it might be the last time)
+ Newt, first in Modified with a 2.14.8 (7 of 42 Challenge Series Drivers). Newt held off a hard charging Nancy Stein who had a 2:15.1 before her car expired at the end of the back straight on Sunday. Nancy, if Tom Sessions is as good as he would lead us to believe he will have your car fixed and ready for Putnam August 13-15. Newt is now in first place in Modified with 2,030 with Nancy close behind with 2,026 points.
+ Eyal, first in Prepared with a 2:16.2 (10 of 42 Challenge Series Drivers) and 5 seconds ahead of second place Brian Austin. Eyal jumps to second in the points behind Ray Moore who has won all three events he has entered. Ray, look for some increased competition for the Putnam win.
+ Tom, first in Super Stock with a 2:18.5 (13 of 42 Challenge Series Drivers) that is 8 seconds faster than last year with no changes to the car. To put my time in perspective, in 2002 Alan (Hoosier Daddy) ran a 2:13.6 and Henry Cone ran a 2:15.3. I have lots of room for improvement. Flying Ryan (aka Mr. Taco) ran a 2:21.8 on old tires which put him almost 2 seconds slower than last years effort. I have moved into the SS points lead over Bill Lamb and Jim Garrett who had better be at Putnam or else.

The weekend at VIR was a blast. You have got to come join us next year. We have all the minor support you need. If anything major should happen, Archer Racing Accessories and Bobby Archer Motorsports are there to get you fixed up and back on the track.

We want to continue to thank JonB at PartsRack.com and Mike Robbins at Ringgold Dodge in Ringgold GA for their continuing support.

John Archer, it is always a pleasure to have your support at Viper Days, and your humor.

See everybody at Putnam in three weeks.

VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom;

Congrats again on V-TEN's results.

I'm preparing for you guys. I have changed the air filter and re-dynoed the car. I'm up to 420hp/440ftlbs. Kickin!

And don't be thinking you will be taking my lawn customers away from me. Putnam is mine.

You missed Gingerman, but I came back to the Comp Coupe for my second session and found John Archer had added a mulch/mow handle to the car for my use.

I'll bring an extra quart of oil with me to Putnam just in case you are running low.

:2tu:

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ray,

Glad you are going to be at Putnam. It should be quite a good time.

We gave Tom a sufficiently hard time about his oil issues.
He is very positive about it though, he says he never has to worry about his engine rusting now that both sides are adequately protected by Mobil 1.

420hp/440tq, I think that you probably mis-typed a digit the way that yellow car screams around the track. Are you sure it wasn't 520hp/540tq? :shocked:

I will try to let you and Tom fight it out about the lawn service at Putnam - I have no interest in a second career...
:D
Hope Kyle can join you - see you soon.

Newt :usa:

VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's about all your gonna get out of a creampuff with stock internals (420hp/440tq). It's certainly not going to win any drag races.

I have found that the key is not to slow down to begin with. Not too much of a problem (overslowing) with stock Viper brakes anyway. Hence the trips to the pasture.

Brakes are way overrated anyway, they just slow you down.

Kyle should be with me if he has been behaving himself. We are thinking about getting him a Viper to run in that "highly competitive" Super Stock class. :D

I think we'll have a few others from StL to join the party.

:2tu:

OP
OP
T

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ray, you need to give Kyle your car and then you can get into the race group with one of the GTSs that are currently for sale that are fully race prepared. That is exactly what both Newt and Eyal are thinking about right now. Think of it, the three of you into the race group at the same time battling each other for newbe honors.

VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom, that is so thoughtful of Newt and Eyal to think of giving my son their cars. I'm at a loss at their generosity.

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ray,

My son is 15 and planning on driving my car in the Challenge Series in a year. Kyle, Eyal's son, is only 6 months old. So, I guess it was Eyal that was giving Kyle his car. That is awful nice of Eyal to be so thoughtful of Kyle. Eyal is such a great guy!

#54gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
T
Time for you to get with it and change the colors of you signature

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21