V10 Nats - ? for Roof

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you thought about (or would you consider) having an automatic class or even allowing autos in the upper categories? Maybe even count it as a power adder if you go back to mods defining a class (which I think makes more sense but who am I).

I know they are Vipers but this is also drag racing and drag racing is predominantly automatics. They are more consistent, probably quicker and much easier on parts (and the driver). Quicker, faster and more consistent cars also draw bigger crowds.

I am very interested in competing in the series if I can build an auto car to run in the quickest street class. And autos seem to be getting more popular. The good thing about a smaller, newer series is that change can occur quickly.

So what do you think? What do the other competitors think? At least keep an open mind for next year.

Here is my class restrictions wish list:

Car must be a Viper (obvious but worth mentioning)
Registered with tag
Street legal, minus emissions
Minimum weight (3200 #'s)
Maximum tire size (the ET Streets everyone is running now)
Viper V10 engine block and heads (any intake allowed)
One power adder (TT and dual-stage NOS allowed)
No wheelie bars
No Lenco trannies
Full exhaust (read: mufflers)
IRS required? I wouldn't mind seeing solid rear axles allowed but am curious what others think.

I think that is about it. KIS. Real street Vipers at a real street weight (although lighter than stock) built for drag racing in the quickest class of the V10 Nats. This would be a kick asp class that would fill up the stands but would not allow the ultra-radical Viper hybrids like Sir Hiss and the Ringgold car. Granted those cars are very cool but a completely different league from what I am proposing. I would think those cars would always be exhibition only cars. Again, these would be street Vipers that plain haul asp for 1320 feet (class would quickly be 8 second only cars) but can still drive from FL to the KY race for example. Or at least drive home if your tow vehicle breaks down. :cool:

I'd love to know your impressions (everyone for that matter).

Thanks,

Chad

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those are some good points, and I can see if from both sides. To some people, though, a viper just isn't a viper if it doesn't have a six speed in it.

MKB96Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Chad,
I'm new here. Is there a listing of all the record holding cars by their class. Like a stock Viper with no mods has run ...... Then a stock Viper with Exhaust,headers, smooth tubes, filters has run ......
Is there such a list and if not, can we start one for competition. There should be a heads and cam car leader, etc....
What do you think?

Thanks,
Keith

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Badasp

We have the unlimited Pro that is for Run what you brung! It is set up for auto's. please check it out. there are several Auto's planning to attend the Bowling Green, Ky event In April 16-17.

Hope this helps

jason427

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Chad,
I'm new here. Is there a listing of all the record holding cars by their class. Like a stock Viper with no mods has run ...... Then a stock Viper with Exhaust,headers, smooth tubes, filters has run ......
Is there such a list and if not, can we start one for competition. There should be a heads and cam car leader, etc....
What do you think?

Thanks,
Keith

I went 11.30@123 with headers/exhaust/tubes/filters. I think it actually has an 11.20 in it, maybe 11.teens.... Ill try again before the weather gets too hot.

Jason

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Chad,
What do you think?

Thanks,
Keith

There is some of this info here on the website if you go to Viper Registry/Record Keeper at the top of the page. If you click on 'expand' there is quite a bit of detail. I'm not sure how current this info is kept though, so no guarantee that the fastest time shown is the current record holder.

OP
OP
C

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roof, so a swap to a 4-speed auto would put me against the tubbed, glided, 4-linked, spooled, hemi-powered Viper from Ringgold that will easily be in the mid to low eights once sorted? Now that's inviting. And I was thinking of checking that car out when it was for sale. My loss for sure.

I'll think about it. I think a car properly set up for the rules I described above should be able to run in the eights, so we'll see. The key is the 1.3 sixty foots and not having the clutch pedal depressed for around 1 second of a 9 second run (at least 10% of the run is not under power).

Thanks for your consideration.

MKB, I don't have that info but I see you started a thread to find out. Good luck. I'm very interested in those numbers too.

Chad

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bad ASP

The car Mike owns is Racing More as a Exhibition. Until the unlimited Pro class is filled I am allowing him to run. When we have plenty of Cars in this class it will be for V-10's only. The goal is car count. if there is only one auto car I will allow Mike to compete. Otherwise I wouldn't. His car is a winner and fun to watch but the objective is the V-10 Nationals!

Bowling Green will host PLENTY of AUto's that are V-10's I know of Several Tuners that will have them in attendance. This could be the Weekend we see Multiple 8 second Passes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang