Valve chatter

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just finished installing my Jesel rockers. I used a 7.65 T&D pushrod, which checked out good in measuring. Talking to Tator, Roe, Macedo etc. they all agreed to go around 1.5 turns past zero lash with the Jesels. This is assuming it takes around a 1/2 turn from the adjusters seated position to reach zero lash. Plus, the Jesels don't recomend you go more than 2 turns from the seated position.
Now, my 2-10 cylinders were anywhere from 1/2 turn to 3/4 of a turn from the seated position to reach zero lash. However, on the odd number cylinders, I had a few pushrods take a full 1 turn from the seated positon to reach zero lash (which is acceptable according to the Jesel instructions, it gives plenty of adjustment). SO, because the max is two turns down according to Jesel, I took ALL rockers only 1 turn past seated position. I'm assuming everything so far is good.
So now it was time to fire her up. One problem, my battery is a little low from leaving the doors open during the install of my 6 point harnesses a few hours earlier. So as usual my car doens't like to idle very well without a fully charged battery. I fired it up and let it run only about 20 seconds or so since the car wouldn't idle very good. But the valve chatter was very noticable. My question is HOW LONG DO YOU HAVE TO LET THE CAR IDLE BEFORE THE VALVE CHATTER SHOULD GET QUIETER? I'm letting the car charge overnight so it will idle properly tomarrow. I'm hoping after a minute or so of normal idling the chatter will get quieter.

HOdbleFman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simms, mine did that the first time I installed the "faulty" set of rockers. I believe it may have something to do with the hydraulic lifters re-adjusting. I could be wrong on this one so don't quote me on it.

OP
OP
S

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simms, mine did that the first time I installed the "faulty" set of rockers. I believe it may have something to do with the hydraulic lifters re-adjusting. I could be wrong on this one so don't quote me on it.

Ryan, how long did it take for yours to quiet down? Mine ran maybe 20-30 seconds at the most and I shut it down because of the iratic idling. I do understand it takes some time for the lifters to pump back up. I'm just wondering how long to give it before I start taking it apart to see whats going on in there.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may be surprised that the next time you start it....it is quiet from the time it starts. The last time I did a total adjust on mine, they were very noisy and didn't quiet down after I ran it two minutes. I let it cool off while I ate dinner and was going to pull the valve covers back off......I decide to go ahead and briefly crank it again for the heck of it. To my surprise they were totally quiet and have been untouched since. With some rockers, every start up will have some clatter and quiet down after a few seconds. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

OP
OP
S

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may be surprised that the next time you start it....it is quiet from the time it starts. The last time I did a total adjust on mine, they were very noisy and didn't quiet down after I ran it two minutes. I let it cool off while I ate dinner and was going to pull the valve covers back off......I decide to go ahead and briefly crank it again for the heck of it. To my surprise they were totally quiet and have been untouched since. With some rockers, every start up will have some clatter and quiet down after a few seconds. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Thanks Tony. I'm hoping mine works out like that.
Good luck in LA!

txlen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it's been my finding after you set the rockers up start the motor for a minute or so then shut it off and let the lifters equalize for a few hours and you'll see they quiet down almost right away....Len

OP
OP
S

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ran for about 2 minutes, and now the loud chatter is all gone. You can hardly hear them now.
Is there a break in procedure for new rockers?

OP
OP
S

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good job.....that's the kind of fix I like :laugh: I'm sure they break in somewhat, but not enough to change you adjustment much.

Thanks Tony, probably shouldn't say good job yet until I take it up to 5500rpm :laugh: . Do I need to keep the car under 4000 for 50-100 miles? I thought I read that somewhere.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good job.....that's the kind of fix I like :laugh: I'm sure they break in somewhat, but not enough to change you adjustment much.

Thanks Tony, probably shouldn't say good job yet until I take it up to 5500rpm :laugh: . Do I need to keep the car under 4000 for 50-100 miles? I thought I read that somewhere.

No, let it eat. Just let off at 6200 when it's bumping the limiter :laugh:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine