Valve noise normal?

05yellowSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 05 SRT-10 with 1400 miles now. Ever since new, the valve train on this car is very loud after it is warmed up. At a cold start I have absolutely no valve noise - very smooth. Once the engine warms up I have very loud clicking / tapping. Sounds like a sewing machine just much louder and you can hear clearly from several feet away and in the cockpit. Seems to come from both valve covers. It is very pronounced at idle but I can hear it at higher revs as well. Oil pressure ranges from 25psi (hot idle) to 75psi, oil temp is typically just below 200degF according to instruments.

The maintenance manual suggests either high or low oil level, incorrect oil type or defective hydraulic valve tappets. I used 9 quarts of the recommended 0-40W Mobil 1 when I changed the oil at 700mi. Oil is at max best I can tell.

I had a gen 2 before and I never noticed the valve train noise. The gen 3 sounds very different.

Is this normal? Will I damage the engine if I continue to drive?

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
before you changed your oil, did you notice the noise? I have a 06 coupe, and I have no valve train noise at all.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My gen 2 made valve train noise, but not so bad, and I notice it somewhat in pop's 05 too. So if its unbareably loud, take it in to the dealership and have it checked out under warranty. But I gotta say, I've never heard a viper with NO VALE train noise. Maybe my 06 will be the same as the poster above me, but I wont hold my breath.

Go have it checked out, but yes, 2 new vipers and both had some.

Jon

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My gen 2 made valve train noise, but not so bad, and I notice it somewhat in pop's 05 too. So if its unbareably loud, take it in to the dealership and have it checked out under warranty. But I gotta say, I've never heard a viper with NO VALE train noise. Maybe my 06 will be the same as the poster above me, but I wont hold my breath.

Go have it checked out, but yes, 2 new vipers and both had some.

Jon
my 2000 gts had a valve train noise, but it was very minimal and members told me it was normal. But my 06 has none, knock on wood

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems normal - my '06 does the same thing as does my '02 GTS.

I've been told that it may be the injectors clicking happily away - seems a bit loud for that but could be a combo of everything. I kinda like it honestly. :)

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure there is always a bit of valve train noice but keep in mind some people mistake the sound of the injectors firing as valve train noise. Mine is minimal.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got valve noise. More so when it's hot. Same way as on my GTS.

Seems when the oil get hot it lets the valves move easier.

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds like valve train noise but its actually the injectors. Same amount of noise on both my '04 and '05 so it must be normal

OP
OP

05yellowSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no noise when the oil is cold, so I don't think it is the injectors.

I remember my gen 2 Viper had 10W-30 Mobil 1. Could it be that 0W-40 is just too thin when hot for push rod engine to keep tappets fully inflated? S

ome people suggested using 15W-50 Mobil 1. So I went out and bought 10 quarts. I don't care about the 10 hp I might give up. Would any harm come from using 15W-50?

BDZ1984

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO on the 15/50 I run that in my car(its what my Viper tech says to run in all the Vipers he does).... anyone else think 25psi at a idle is to low of pressure????

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that is low. I am a hair below 50 when engine is hot in 80 degree weather. I noticed when I first read the post but forgot to mention it.

OP
OP

05yellowSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed the oil to 15W-50 Mobil 1 yesterday night and drove the car to work and back today. No doubt, the heavier oil does make a difference.

Hot idle oil pressure is now noticeably higher (around 40-45psi on the gauge) and the valve train is much quieter. I guess I'll be using 15W-50 from now on as I have no plans to drive her when its below 20 deg F outside. :laugh:

quick2tr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine makes tapping noise when warm. ~45psi hot. Still using the 2004 recommended 10w-30.

I thought there was a warranty coverage issue in regards to not running manufacturers recommended oil spec?

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a 2003 and up the injectors are really loud and sound like valve lifters. This is normal. My viper tech told me this. Also if you use Royal Purple Oil everything quites down and runs smoother. By the way my 2003 calls for 10 qts including the oil filter which I use a K & N filter.

Hope this helps,

Robbie

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235