Variant 2 = wow

Fuoss484

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Could you tell me more. I am looking for a set of coilover, and had these on another car and really like them. Just dont hear to many reviews. thanks

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you will throw rocks at the factory suspension after you install kw- totally changes the car

OP
OP
A

All Blue ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you will throw rocks at the factory suspension after you install kw- totally changes the car

yep. what he said. Solid but not back breaking. Used to feel ever crack in the road.

Taking it for an alignment on Wednesday , then I will really drive it but the little playing I did this weekend was impressive.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the KW Variant 2 shocks on my 09 when I bought it used. The original owner wanted to lower the car for looks, and these were the least expensive solution at the time.

While they never gave me a good ride, and felt like they used very little shock travel, I had them readjusted several times, but still disliked the pogo stick ride.

I had always wanted Motons, as they were the gold standard, along with Penske.

Was reluctant to give up the very expensive KW shocks as the Moton and Penske solution was over $6,000 installed.

I finally gave it up, after almost being put into the wall at Willow Springs Raceway. The pogo stick ride I got with the KW and the very limited wheel travel had me with little control at the track.

When Woodhouse unveiled the new Motion Control Systems MCS (Old Moton guys) single adjustable I was ready to make the move. At just over $3,000 they were back in the budget.

The difference was immediate and amazing. That Pogo Pogo Pogo ride was gone. The Viper now had that elusive planted feeling. You felt tied to the road. You could feel the wheels using much more of their range of travel. Soft bumps and botts dotts were far less noticible, and over bigger bumps the car remained level. You were no longer launched into the air. Even though the springs were much firmer they felt much softer. The shocks were free'd up to move where the KW just seemed to lock up and road like a rock in comparison.

These MCS shocks drive so much smoother they are not even in the same league. The Viper is much less darty, and goes straight down the road. Blasting off a corner is much better controlled with none of that skating feeling you get with the KW's.

These shocks are a quantum improvement is comfort and control.

As a side bonus, I had an annoying "knock" from my rear end. Spent lots of hours trying to track it down. Tightened everything to spec, greased everything, check sway bars, rear end torque, it never went away. As soon as I removed the KW's the knock went away...so that is where it was coming from.

I had Todd at A&C do the install of the new MCS's as they were the first he had seen. Think he also was really impressed at the difference between the two premium shocks.

These new MCS shocks are not their double adjustable with remote resevoir models, but the newer street version that is single adjustable and no resevoir. Like the KW they can be easily height adjusted without needing to be removed from the car, and also provide an easy way to corner weight the car for better handling, or lowered for a better look.

Lots of people have been ordering their Gen V SRT Vipers with these new MCS shocks to replace the ones that come with the car stock.

Like many others I had previously thought of the KW's as a big upgrade from stock, but for me the MCS is head and shoulders the better system.

Last edited:

DanB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps the GEN 2 KW are better than the later ones you had installed.

As for me I'm sure the new KW's that I purchased and will be installing will make a difference with the ACR suspension that I have. The car is 14 years old so the suspension upgrade will be welcome.

Did you install them yourself? If so what did you do with the top mounting bolt? The diameter from the ACR to the new KW is different. The KW's have a larger bolt diameter.

Either way I'm looking forward to them. I had them on my SRT-4 and they rode great and were preadjusted for height. I was slightly let down that they weren't preset. I guess I'll have to tweak them.

You must be registered for see images attach

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I believe the KW double (or triple) adjustable shocks that come on the ACR's from the factory are different, and much higher quality than the Variant 2's that were on my car.

These shock companies make a number of different quality shocks for different applications. It used to be that only KW made a relatively high quality street shock that offered lowering capability with a reasonable price (Around $3,000). The other choice was provided by Aldan, but they quickly got a bad reputation for providing limited control and durability.

The top choices for racers were the Penske and Moton systems with multiple adjustability great handling, height adjustability and super foaming control. An easily noticed, but unexpected side benefits from these shocks is that the ride also improved dramatically. While stiffer springs could be used to handle the extreme forces on the track, the ride was far more plush, as these shocks allowed great control of wheel travel, and allowed more of the shock stroke to be used. Driving on bumpy tracks was also vastly improved as that skating feeling was greatly diminished.

There was a demand for an adjustable shock with ride height adjustability that would allow for better control, a smoother ride and better durability. The guys at MCS took a fresh look at their high performance shock and re imagined it for the street. They kept the height adjustability, super quality, and smooth ride, but removed the remote resevoir and some of the adjusters. This made installation easier as it was always a problem as to where to put the remote resevoirs (but they looked cool).

This new option seems to be hitting the sweet spot for the Viper owners that want a smooth riding, lowered and adjustable shock. It is still good enough for occasional track days and does not pogo. Street price is about the same as KW, but offers a better ride and better track control.

I also thought that the KW's were an improvement over stock, and now believe that the MCS is an improvment over KW Variant 2.

To give KW their due, the KW's that were removed from my 09 were working just as well as new with over 35,000 miles on them. They cleaned up beautifully and showed no signs of leaking or wear. They make good quality products that have served the aftermarket Viper community well. I would not be surprised to see them go back to the drawing board and refresh their design.

OP
OP
A

All Blue ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps the GEN 2 KW are better than the later ones you had installed.

As for me I'm sure the new KW's that I purchased and will be installing will make a difference with the ACR suspension that I have. The car is 14 years old so the suspension upgrade will be welcome.

Did you install them yourself? If so what did you do with the top mounting bolt? The diameter from the ACR to the new KW is different. The KW's have a larger bolt diameter.

Either way I'm looking forward to them. I had them on my SRT-4 and they rode great and were preadjusted for height. I was slightly let down that they weren't preset. I guess I'll have to tweak them.QUOTE

Dan, I did them myself. Purchased a different high grade bolt for the upper mount. Played with the height quite a bit and have it as low as she will go and still drive up my lift ramps ( not stupid low) very slight rake back to front. toughest part for me was torqueing the bolts at ride height with the wheels on etc. etc.
No regrets here.

DanB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll have to measure up the diameter for the bolt. Was it just the top front bolts that need changing? I've only mocked up the one on the front. Looking forward to installing them.

leskimo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow looks good and lots of information! Now one of you just needs to cut me a deal on your old koni coilovers for my 99 ACR!!!

DanB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just more gratuitous pics.

Attachments

• 2015-03-08 11.33.39.jpg
    2015-03-08 11.33.39.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 7