Various Mod Questions

AZViper08

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good afternoon all,

I'm a newer owner of an '08 Vert and have read thru a ton of pages within this forum (great information by the way!). I've read about all types of mods, but still don't understand a few things. The only things I would like to modify on this car is the following and wanted some insight if at all possible:

1) Exhaust note is not very pleasant. Many here have expressed their same opinion, and I'm wondering which direction I should go. I love the sound of the Gen I and II cars with the lumpy cams, especially with the Belanger headers/exhaust (extremely loud, but very nice). I know I'll never get the cam sound while stock, but looking for something better than what I have now. Also worried about doing headers in fear of warranty issues. Will a simple cat-back exhaust (like Corsa) do much in the way of improving sound? Also concerned about "droning". Will a Corsa ca-back drone? I understand that to obtain the perfect sound, a full-system with headers is the best way to go, but if you were concerned with warranty issues, is a cat-back worth it? Is there any performance gain?

2) Wheels. I LOVE a couple of the HRE wheels, but worried about ride and traction. Do most keep the same size wheel for around the town driving, or do you go up to a larger diameter and keep the factories for the track? Do the HRE's look good without lowering the car? I'm not one to mess with suspension components, but man the Viper looks incredibly hot when lowered and on HRE's. Anyone that has experience with HRE's, I'd love to hear from you.

3) I don't think I'll ever do it, but the only performance issue I have with this car is first gear. I've read many feel that 1st is way tall and I agree, but I'd be worried I wouldn't be able to keep the car straight if it was made shorter. Is this a valid issue? Has anyone done a gear reduction and what do you think so far?

4) Better looking intake. Is something available? Exposed element would look cool, but is there a down side?

5) Short throw shifter and reduced height. I don't mind the length of the throws, but the height of the shifter is kinda high, IMHO. Do most like the kit that's out there (forgot which one it is, but my local dealer has them available). This would be last on my priority list, but thought I'd see what others thought.

Again, I love this site and have appreciated everyone's comments on other topics I've posted so far. Hopefully some day I can provide some insight to other "newbies".:)

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good afternoon all,

I'm a newer owner of an '08 Vert and have read thru a ton of pages within this forum (great information by the way!). I've read about all types of mods, but still don't understand a few things. The only things I would like to modify on this car is the following and wanted some insight if at all possible:

1) Exhaust note is not very pleasant. Many here have expressed their same opinion, and I'm wondering which direction I should go. I love the sound of the Gen I and II cars with the lumpy cams, especially with the Belanger headers/exhaust (extremely loud, but very nice). I know I'll never get the cam sound while stock, but looking for something better than what I have now. Also worried about doing headers in fear of warranty issues. Will a simple cat-back exhaust (like Corsa) do much in the way of improving sound? Also concerned about "droning". Will a Corsa ca-back drone? I understand that to obtain the perfect sound, a full-system with headers is the best way to go, but if you were concerned with warranty issues, is a cat-back worth it? Is there any performance gain?

2) Wheels. I LOVE a couple of the HRE wheels, but worried about ride and traction. Do most keep the same size wheel for around the town driving, or do you go up to a larger diameter and keep the factories for the track? Do the HRE's look good without lowering the car? I'm not one to mess with suspension components, but man the Viper looks incredibly hot when lowered and on HRE's. Anyone that has experience with HRE's, I'd love to hear from you.

3) I don't think I'll ever do it, but the only performance issue I have with this car is first gear. I've read many feel that 1st is way tall and I agree, but I'd be worried I wouldn't be able to keep the car straight if it was made shorter. Is this a valid issue? Has anyone done a gear reduction and what do you think so far?

4) Better looking intake. Is something available? Exposed element would look cool, but is there a down side?

5) Short throw shifter and reduced height. I don't mind the length of the throws, but the height of the shifter is kinda high, IMHO. Do most like the kit that's out there (forgot which one it is, but my local dealer has them available). This would be last on my priority list, but thought I'd see what others thought.

Again, I love this site and have appreciated everyone's comments on other topics I've posted so far. Hopefully some day I can provide some insight to other "newbies".:)

AZ:

I'm tempted to move your post to the "New Member" area where it will get more of the attention of those that are most willing to spend some serious time answering your post.

ALL of our questions have been answered in other threads going back several years. I'd suggest you start off searching some of your questions as it can get frustrating for members to answer the same questions over and over again. Regardless, I AM certain that someone will still answer your questions here because of the overwhelming good nature of my fellow members :D.

Here's some short opinions:

1. Cat backs do make some changes to the '08 exhaust. HF cats also. If you're not going to do headers, the previous are you options (in some combination).

2. You should buy any aftermarket wheels in the same sizes as your OE wheels, along with the same tires. Don't lower the car with wheel/tire diameter. Lower the car only via the suspension if that's your intent.

3. You can exchange your gear set out for shorter gears. There are 2-3 available. Call Jon B.

4. None that I'm aware of yet.

5. MGW.com

Hope that helps.:2tu:

OP
OP
A

AZViper08

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll do another search specifically on the cat-back vs. full exhaust question. As for wheels, I love the aftermarket wheels, just couldn't find any cons with going to a larger size (other than the ride quality being poor and traction being affected). Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything or if someone has the HRE's in a larger diameter if they could verify the traction issue.

Reaction score
Good afternoon all,

The Corsa catback will NOT drone in the car and will liven the sound a bit. The high flows will also with a little effort to install and a potential CEL. But there is the new Mopar PCM to eliminate that also.

The HRE wheels are nice and very high quality, i you want the best traction though stick with the stock sizes and lower the car. The springs can be changed or caps used to lower it, but the best way is the Moton/Eibach suspension. It cost more but the benefits are 100% better ride, handling, your choice of ride height, and track able if you wish. Down sides are NOTHING.

We have done lots of 3.55 swaps and a couple 3.33s. They really wake up the Gen4 and makes a world of difference for normal driving in 3-5th. Cheap feel of increased power IMO.

SRT has spent a lot of time on the factory air box and filter...DON'T mess it up!

MGW or nothing. You can shorten the stock lever and knob or do it with one of MGW premium knobs for the perfect height and feel!

Call me if you have any specific questions, I have the cell number on me 24/7 if you like and I have all of these in stock if you need anything!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
CORSA - NO DRONE and under $1300 from PartsRack

Intake - Dont do any more than hi-flow filters and smoothe-bore inlet hoses 2008-09

HRE: PartsRack is HRE's #1 Viper Wheel Vendor......all styles, and we accept trades. we also have a great sale on Forgeline til 12/31. PERFORMANCE? 18-19 OE.

GEARS our specialty..... do a gear swap here and we might even throw in the great MGW shifter free!

[email protected] 360 837 3937 Pacif Time

Good afternoon all,

OP
OP
A

AZViper08

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big help! Thanks a ton. I wonder if there are vids online that demonstrate a Corsa cat-back sound? Will look into the Motons/Eibach set-up as well. I'm hoping to keep this car for the long haul, and want to maintain reliability and long-term durability. I think I would be a little scared messing with the PCM. Heck, even doing headers freaks me out a little, but the memory of a Gen II with the Belanger system won't leave my memory.:headbang: Same thing with messing with the suspension. I don't know much about the Motons/Eibach system so I think I just need to educate myself. The normal and easily reverseable items would be more up my alley, hence wheels and cat-back exhaust. Simply put, I think I just need to read more and weight the benefits vs. warranty drawbacks.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
JonB at partsrack has the most experience since he sells the most parts. Tell him what you wnat, when you want it and he'll make it happen. Read his vendor's reviews and you'll know that he's got the most satisfied customers here.

He also has racing experience and volunteers his time to instruct Viper guys, like me and you, on how to drive a Viper the way it's supposed to be driven.

Ted

OP
OP
A

AZViper08

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich, thank you very much. If you were to do it all over again, would you do the full set-up or just a cat-back?

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hello MM and welcome to the AZ Region. Come and hang out with us and compare mods. Russo Auction in January is next up. Can't beat the price. Might even get a guy named Roy S. to show up for some stories...........

OP
OP
A

AZViper08

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello MM and welcome to the AZ Region. Come and hang out with us and compare mods. Russo Auction in January is next up. Can't beat the price. Might even get a guy named Roy S. to show up for some stories...........

Thanks Marv! I always attend B/J and have never been to the Russo auction. I'll try to make it on the day you all are there. Please let me know when that will be.

Been reading up on Motons and the sound difference between cat-back vs. full system with headers. Has anyone seen any long term issues with the Moton set-up? The gentleman that has the orange car a few threads down has one of the coolest looking Viper's I've ever seen. I'm thinking my first mod will be wheels and possibly the Moton set-up if I continue to hear good things. Also thinking cat-back may be best for me as well.

Anyone have an opinion about gearing? Worth it or no? I would assume you'd have to be easy on the car in first and you'd lose top end, is that right?

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome AZViper08~~! Congratulations on your 2008...when you can, please post pics (what color/stripe/wheel combo?), we'd love to see YOUR car! MGW short-throw shifter a MUST...just the shifter (easy to swap out stock shifter/put in MGW short-throw--we have the BLUE FANGS top).
We modded our 2005 BLACK Vert, but our 2008 is staying stock. We are fine with the exhaust note.
Our '05 was so LOUD it was BANNED at a track~! (YEP, I LOVED IT...Corsa Track Cat-Back/hi-flo cats/B&B Stepped Headers). To each their own on the sound, good luck to ya! ~juli

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks Marv! I always attend B/J and have never been to the Russo auction. I'll try to make it on the day you all are there. Please let me know when that will be.

Been reading up on Motons and the sound difference between cat-back vs. full system with headers. Has anyone seen any long term issues with the Moton set-up? The gentleman that has the orange car a few threads down has one of the coolest looking Viper's I've ever seen. I'm thinking my first mod will be wheels and possibly the Moton set-up if I continue to hear good things. Also thinking cat-back may be best for me as well.

Anyone have an opinion about gearing? Worth it or no? I would assume you'd have to be easy on the car in first and you'd lose top end, is that right?

1) You can call me for am objective comparison as noted, waaaaay too much to type!

2) The owner of the Russo-Steele event is a past VCA regional prez, who (im sure Marv knows this) would probably be delighted to do something special for some fellow Viper Owners-VCA folk at his auction! Drew got the 4th GTS built, and was the FIRST guy to convert a GTS to sidepipes.....

Speedy G

Viper Owner
Reaction score
call eddie martin at bill luke chrysler, if you do most of the stuff including a cam with the dealership i think it will not void your warranty, i have a gen 3 with 708 cam full belanger and love it but i am a little obnoxious, ask marv :)

OP
OP
A

AZViper08

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've met Eddie. Very cool dude. I'll probably stop by and talk to him someday soon.

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We modded our 2005 BLACK Vert, but our 2008 is staying stock. We are fine with the exhaust note.

I'm fine w/ the '08's exhaust note as is also. I've heard a couple other '08's w/ headers but I'm hestitant to do the upgrade as it is too loud for me. Of course, I'd welcome the HP gains, but not the db gains though. So there's maybe another alternative and that is retaining the factory mufflers with the Belangers and hi-flow cats, and in theory, this combo shouldn't be as loud and would be less expensive also. Good luck and have fun with your car AZViper08.

OP
OP
A

AZViper08

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lou is also working on a fix for the noise by trying a different style of muffler to attenuate the sound more, stay tuned.

Thanks.

I keep passing one of those 427 Cobra replicas in the north side of town and he makes me wish for more sound!:D And like I mentioned earlier, that Gen II with the Belanger set-up was awesome.

I took the car out for a ride a couple days ago and really paid attention to all the things I wrote about within my original post. This car has been a dream of mine since high-school and is everything I was hoping for. I'm really not one to mod my cars (other than lifting trucks), so I may just look at wheels and cat-back and call it quits. Unfortunately, the HRE's I want are at a price point that I think my wife would seriously hurt me if I purchased them.:smirk: I know most here disagree with me on this, but the shifter isn't bad (just high), but I'm starting the think I can live with that. Still don't like first gear, but oh well for now. Just need to figure out if the car looks good with 19"/20" wheel diameter without lowering the car. If anyone has photos of any HRE wheel in this diameter without dropping the car, I'd love to see it. Once I get the car washed, I'll post a pic. Thanks again for everyone's thoughts!:2tu:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks.

I keep passing one of those 427 Cobra replicas in the north side of town and he makes me wish for more sound!:D And like I mentioned earlier, that Gen II with the Belanger set-up was awesome.

I took the car out for a ride a couple days ago and really paid attention to all the things I wrote about within my original post. This car has been a dream of mine since high-school and is everything I was hoping for. I'm really not one to mod my cars (other than lifting trucks), so I may just look at wheels and cat-back and call it quits. Unfortunately, the HRE's I want are at a price point that I think my wife would seriously hurt me if I purchased them.:smirk: I know most here disagree with me on this, but the shifter isn't bad (just high), but I'm starting the think I can live with that. Still don't like first gear, but oh well for now. Just need to figure out if the car looks good with 19"/20" wheel diameter without lowering the car. If anyone has photos of any HRE wheel in this diameter without dropping the car, I'd love to see it. Once I get the car washed, I'll post a pic. Thanks again for everyone's thoughts!:2tu:

If all you want is a lowered shifter knob then purchase an MGW (what I did) as it's a cheap short shifter (not being &" long it does make a short shifter by shortening the throw. Now I have a Hurst Short Shifter and the MGW knob ... it's a little low. Most people would hate it, but I like it.

Another good option for you is to shorten the shifter handle and rethread it. Just cut 3" off the stock handle. If you have access to a welder you could cut the shaft and weld a stud/nut onto the end instead.

Ted

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale04SS