various therm. temps

jjrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi... Wondering about the 160. 170 F thermostats vs the oem 190.... What's the deal on that? Don't understand the reasons for...

Also..should I get one of those anodes for the radiator?

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haven't heard of these and not sure why you're thinking of any changes from OEM. Can you provide details? I've found the TA runs cool and strong on track bone stock.

OP
OP
J

jjrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering why viper store sells the 2 lower temp, rad. Caps. ..
And any reason to get the anode for radiator.?.

OP
OP
J

jjrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody have comments on the thermostat options n anode bar ?

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A little confusing:

1. The anode type cap should be available from any auto parts store.

2. Radiator caps are primarily based upon pressure, not, temp.

3. The operating temp is mostly based on the thermostat.

Anybody have comments on the thermostat options n anode bar ?

OP
OP
J

jjrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok….so…
is the anode bar very helpful for our alum. radiators? i've never had it in any of my current cars aftermarket so wondering what the utility is….

on the thermostat, that is how they rate it,…by temp….not pressure…. obviously they are related in terms of how it works but…
so, why would one want to have a lower temp. rated thermostat vs. oem…. ? dont't get it…. but they sell it here…

https://www.theviperstore.com/Viper5_Products_Performance_Cooling.htm

so…does the coolant circulate earlier, if the thermostat opens up at lower temp than 190F of oem thermostat?? is that small difference somehow better for the car ?

chime in guys…

james R
"14 T/A; complete viper newbie

Reaction score
ok….so…
is the anode bar very helpful for our alum. radiators? i've never had it in any of my current cars aftermarket so wondering what the utility is….

on the thermostat, that is how they rate it,…by temp….not pressure…. obviously they are related in terms of how it works but…
so, why would one want to have a lower temp. rated thermostat vs. oem…. ? dont't get it…. but they sell it here…

https://www.theviperstore.com/Viper5_Products_Performance_Cooling.htm

so…does the coolant circulate earlier, if the thermostat opens up at lower temp than 190F of oem thermostat?? is that small difference somehow better for the car ?

chime in guys…

james R
"14 T/A; complete viper newbie

The lower temp thermostat will open sooner and keep temps cooler "longer", but in the end the thermal efficiancy of the entire system is what will determain the coolant temps. In todays engines with everything monitored a low temp stat is not always the best thing though and I would just leave it alone, then if you are having cooling problems address the system as a whole not with just a cooler thermostat.