VCA vs non VCA

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bottom Line: Check to see if your local VCA chapter is active and does events regularly. If 'YES', well worth the $100. If 'NO', then don't waste your money.

My .02

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been a member about 9 months.
I went to one club event where they had a crab feast. It looked like the local VCA must have subsidized it since it seemed inexpensive. I got two free t shirts too. I guess that one event was worth the money.
I also went to the Viper Club/Vette Club drags one time. The club probably put up money to help with that.
I think I got my money's worth.

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you dont like what you see or get, don't rejoin. Get a $100.00 worth of ZAINO>

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by SLITHRN on 11-06-2002 at 11:46 AM</font>

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would like to thnk steve and onerare for their input. now lets put this biiitch to sleep

Steve Ferguson
Proud VCA Member

posted 11-05-2002 12:58 PM Back to the top

--------------------------------------------------------------

pj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>If you dont like what your seeing here, when its time to renew, nobody pay the $100.00.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Assuming, of course, that the only thing you use your membership for is the VCA Board. To many members, the board is but a small piece of the VCA Membership experience.

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Pierce:
Assuming, of course, that the only thing you use your membership for is the VCA Board. To many members, the board is but a small piece of the VCA Membership experience.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just a suggestion,

I agree the events are what make the club. But if your going to complain about it, you have to be willing to do something about it. The put up or shut up syndrome comes into play at some point..
supergrin.gif

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to clarify...

The cert program which was listed as a VCA member benefit, IS NOT A MEMBER BENEFIT. This was open to ALL Viper owners. VOI is open to ALL Viper owners. Many vendors discounts are for ALL VIPER OWNERS.

I'd like to re-join the VCA when I get my SRT, but I won't be joining this year... I think (and hope) Joe Houss will be the best president of the VCA we've had. If my hunch is correct, I will be coming back to the VCA next year, IF I am correct.

For me, the big benefits are:

1) VOI
2) This site
3) Meeting Viper friends (mostly through this site)
4) Technical information (from this site)

Geoff Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VCA-
1- Regional and National membership
2- Viper Magazine
3- VCA Notes newsletter
4- Regional and National Events
5- Local newsletters
6- Discounts with vendors
7- Event Liability insurance
8- One-of-a-kind Viper raffles
9- Custom Membership cards
10- Whatever goodies each individual region offers it's members.
11- Viper headquarters to answer questions.
12- Programs like the cert, special financing and factory pick-ups.

<FONT size="4">I didn't realize that there was special financing for the Viper. What is it?</FONT s>

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even when you're wrong about ram air?
laugh.gif

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, the reason the cert and voucher programmed happened was first when Maurice Liang asked for it and then when Tony Estes asked that they bring it back for the SRT/10. YOU are right, this is not a VCA benefit, but it occurred because the VCA asked for it.

As for the financing, that was a program in place for the GTS in 96. At the time rates on Viper were 9.9%, but we were able to get CFS to agree to 6.9%. Again, the club asked, but anyone who bought the car could apply for it, whether member or not.

Reaction score
Benefits? The people! We have made many new wonderful VCA friends from all over the world.

It is like an extended family.

The economic benefits vary depending on the members participation.

The VCA has negotiated discounts with many vendors. Some of these vendors offer discounts to all who say they are member. Some require specific and current ID, such as Skip Barber discounts (20-25%? on their 2 day school, all other programs are discounted 10%). Viper Days is discounted $100.00/weekend
to VCA members.

If you like to experience your cars performance in a controlled venue, the return on your membership can be 5x or more.

Feel your region lacks interesting events? Step-up to the plate and plan an event!

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
excellent responses, now why couldnt we have done this when first requested, thnx all you gave me much input and great responses.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am as miffed as you are as to why your previous posts were deleted? I hope you see that the basic benefit the club gives has a lot to do with what you want out of it. It ain't for everyone, but it is for those that want it and will utilize it's benefits.

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ohio has some very nice members and most of the events have some benefit paid by VCA. Whether it is food or tents or what ever else helps make the event worthwhile. We have enjoyed the club and the members and feel that the $100 is cheap for the amount of fun we have had so far. Contact Terry Bosserman, the new Ohio president and tell him how he could make the club even better so that you might enjoy it more. Good luck and hope to see you at some of the upcoming events here in Ohio.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saved over $170.00 (not just on viper parts) at my dealership yesterday, just by being a club member. Timberline Dodge in Portland, OR has taken really good care of me and gives great discounts to all Viper Club of America Members.

So for me, the $100 is well worth it. However, I can see how for some it might not be the best investment.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Mike, I don't think you get a choice about rejoining or not, I think the first years membership is free and automatic with the purchase of a new car such as your SRT! Steve, am I right?
Seriously, someone said it very well above, if your local club hosts and runs a bunch of good events you will probably feel the money is well spent, remember half the dues go to the local club, not the national, in the MD/VA club the annual crab feast alone gets you the money back, as someone mentioned. I'm 4 days into working on the xmas party for the same club, hopefully it will be as half as much fun as Gus Strakes crab feast, ultimately it is what you put into it as a volunteer that makes it worthwhile for all. I also have another profound thought.. The unease some have felt about the way things are managed on this discussion board seems to be spilling over into unhappiness with the VCA, that's a PR problem that someone should address. When Steve Ferguson says HE is miffed because a thread is pulled I have finally become worried about the board and how threads are managed.

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im still waiting for someone to explain the differences. im aware of the magazine, but what else, and be specific. i would appreciate answers not deleted posts. my time is valuable just like everyone elses, and it pissses me off that i have to keep posting redundant topics/questions due to deletions without answers. this is allegedly an adult site, so act like it

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. I read that whole thread. The other one. The last time I logged on, no one was getting out of line, or breaking any rules.
confused.gif
Did something happen that I was unaware of?

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well, with my short attention span and easily bored personality, forget it, im dropping the subject and concomitantly my renewal. if the boneheads that be cannot take the time to offer some input then they aint worth my cash. now, on to more interesting topics to improve performance and looks

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it stays here it is:

VCA-
1- Regional and National membership
2- Viper Magazine
3- VCA Notes newsletter
4- Regional and National Events
5- Local newsletters
6- Discounts with vendors
7- Event Liability insurance
8- One-of-a-kind Viper raffles
9- Custom Membership cards
10- Whatever goodies each individual region offers it's members.
11- Viper headquarters to answer questions.
12- Programs like the cert, special financing and factory pick-ups.

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will not be a VCA member this go around as I really haven't seen any benefit. I don't race so that eliminates anything to do with the local club. The way these zealous moderators operate on this site became the deciding factor that pushed me away. So, good job guys you saved me $100.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:

1) VOI
2) This site
3) Meeting Viper friends (mostly through this site)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But none of those require VCA membership?!

I can't recall how much ViperDays savings VCA membership gets, is it $50 or $100? If the latter, then one event is break-even, plus you get whatever else you get (the mag, etc.). Of course this requires you to want to participate in ViperDays, which I think is a good event.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lee, you are right. Dodge provides the first year of membership with the purchase of a new Viper from a Dodge dealership.

On the miffed thing I have to say "I am". All seemed to be lightly spirited, but at least addressing good points. Maybe something we did not see got out of hand? Maybe it is easier to pull entire threads than just one post? O well, we live another day.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">If you don't feel the $100 is worth it, perhaps imagine the Viper ownership experience without a VCA. If that doesn't bother you, walk. If it does, than think of it as a "charitable" contribution if you feel the numbers don't work for you. Don't look at it as a math equation, rather as a show of support.

I personally get much more that $100 worth of benefit, both in hard value and in the intangables like Viper camaraderie.

To each his own... </FONT f>

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Ferguson:
Mike, the reason the cert and voucher programmed happened was first when Maurice Liang asked for it and then when Tony Estes asked that they bring it back for the SRT/10. YOU are right, this is not a VCA benefit, but it occurred because the VCA asked for it.

As for the financing, that was a program in place for the GTS in 96. At the time rates on Viper were 9.9%, but we were able to get CFS to agree to 6.9%. Again, the club asked, but anyone who bought the car could apply for it, whether member or not.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve, are you referring to the certificate needed to buy the SRT/10? As a VCA member will I be able to get a certificate to buy the coupe version if and when it comes out (even though I bought my GTS used)? If that were the case, I would definately keep my membership.

I didn't know about the special club finance rate. I didn't have to finance my GTS but if a street version of the Comp Coupe came out, I'd probably have to finance a small portion of it. Thanks for the info.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know Dave? If a coupe is produced, the VCA will be back at Dodge's door step trying to convince them that it is a good move to allow existing owners (we always push for club members only but it depends on who is reviewing the legal wording) to get first right of purchase without having to take a bath like we did in 92-93. The first time around, it did not matter if you had a used or new Viper. In the latest format, they decided that the only way it could be offered was if the owner purchased the Viper new from a Dodge dealer. When and if it happens again there will be different individuals from the VCA leading the charge, from the Dealer Association asking for it not to happen, and even Dodge officials making the decision. Only time will tell if this ever happens again.

Now if the cost is the issue, then I would say do not pay your dues because I can be certain that there will be no cert/voucher system implemented in the 2003 year.

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of the regional clubs provide monthly activities and subsidize the costs for much of these activities from memebership dues. Steve, Mike, Fred and others who have responded to this thread are all friends and Viper owners. None of us would have ever met had it not been for the VCA. we have friends all over the world because of Viper. That is worth the annual dues of $100.00 alone besides all the other benifits we have and will receive from being a member of the VCA.