VD Finals at Hallett

Skip at Viper Days

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The weather was iffy on forecast and Friday morning it was foggy and cloudy. At 1:30 it was pouring cats and dogs but by 3:00 it was back on the track. Finals started with a great reception at the Crowne Plaza and the room was filled with anticipation. The main discussion was the weather rain or sun? How does 78 and sky blue sound? Well… that was what we got… perfect.

The track was run clockwise and had three blind corners and plenty of camber changes. The drivers were working on learning the track and the times were coming down. Gary Lashinsky had a cold tire slid into the tire wall with minimum damage and that was it. Everyone stayed on track or their spins were only spins…. No damage. The drivers did a great job of analyzing the track and the executing their plan.

The Saturday race found Bob Woodhouse on the pole and that was where he stayed! The 18 lap race was a series of many mini races and those watching had a lot to look at!

Sunday…. another beautiful day but a little cooler would the track be sticky?? Inverted start.. tactics… 35 laps.. tires.. brakes.. a lot to consider who would do it right. Roger Morgan was on the pole with Paul Greaser on the outside with Bob Woodhouse on the outside and Ross Murray on the inside of the back row.
Green flag… Green flag was the word on the radios of every crew chief that were glued to the starter stand. You ask??? Does it help?? YES!!! Woodhouse made a move on the outside and dropped two wheels off the track to pass two cars. This would add 10 seconds to his finish for advancing his position off the racing surface as dictated by the Stewards of the Meet but it would not change the results. Woodhouse wins!! Again the battles around the track were everywhere. My wife has missed most of the season so seeing the start and the race was a treat. At the trophy presentation she told all the drivers that the racing was great and complemented them on their improvement and close competitive driving. It goes without saying that I fully agree. I will put our racers up against any non- pro race series!!
At the trophy presentation Joe Bregante and Sam Carvajal were called to the podium where their rookies stickers were removed and then all the other drivers dumped water on them as a “congrats”!

1ylwvpr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I couldn't agree with you more Skip, it was a great weekend. Beautiful weather Saturday & Sunday. I really enjoyed myself on this fun track. Also, just as Bill Lamb said Saturday night at the podium, Thanks to YOU for putting these events togehter!!! You and your family run terrifc events.

Regards,

Jeremy