Vec1 vs Vec2 with my mods.. Where to buy? etc.

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been doing some reasearch on these for a while but would like some quick opinions :) Also i looked on ROE's page and doesnt look like they sell them anymore? I would prefer a used one anyways to save on cost (if anyone has any layin around!).

Mods: Early 93 Viper

Belanger Headers
Belanger hi-flow cats
Belanger catback
Smooth tubes

What do you think a Vec1 or Vec2 would do for me?

Also what is involved with installing them? or a place in the VA/MD/DC area that might do it?

thank you!

You must be registered for see images

vipzilla

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On A Gen 1 The Vec 2 Can Add 40hp Ask Sean At Roe He Can Send You It Already Tuned For Your Aplication

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
used is around 500-600 and just fine too. i bought mine used. you can send it to sean for like $100 and he will go thru it for ya, but its not really necessary

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really not worth it unless your using larger injectors. You may get about 40 Hp by triming the fuel curve a little. Have you replaced your head gasket yet? If not I would wait and port the heads when you change the gasket. That will give you 75 Hp and much more torque.

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The VEC1 will give marginal gains, but the VEC2/3 will give you better power all the way around. I say go for it because it would do nothing but make the car run better.

Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At what point is Vec2 needed mod wise? I have a 98 GTS with smooth tubes, S&B air filters, B&B header back w/o out Cats. Still have stock manifolds.

What's the point of the VEC2? I assume smooth out and adjust your A/F's.

I just wanna make sure my car is running safely and figured you guys would know.

OP
OP
G

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really not worth it unless your using larger injectors. You may get about 40 Hp by triming the fuel curve a little. Have you replaced your head gasket yet? If not I would wait and port the heads when you change the gasket. That will give you 75 Hp and much more torque.

Yes head gaskets were changed, so thats not an option. Just trying to pick up a few more HP with the mods I currently have and make it drive better. Don't really want to mod it much more.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At what point is Vec2 needed mod wise? I have a 98 GTS with smooth tubes, S&B air filters, B&B header back w/o out Cats. Still have stock manifolds.

What's the point of the VEC2? I assume smooth out and adjust your A/F's.

I just wanna make sure my car is running safely and figured you guys would know.

The Vec2/3 would give you some more HP and TQ by tweaking your AFR ratio. The Vec3 becomes more advantageous as you add turbo, sc, headwork, etc. Personally, while I have the Vec3 and its helped greatly, I would go for the SCT today. The SCT tuner did not exist when I purchased the Vec. The SCT tunes both open/closed loop. Closed loop is probably where you're doing most of your driving. It will also allow you to eliminate the skipshift, turn on the fan at a lower temp, adjust your adaptives, etc. The Vec cannot do this. I'd give Dan at ViperSpecialty a call to get more technical information on the differences between the two.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back to the original question, who can tune one in MD or VA. I know Bernie is in Richmond (about 2 1/2 hrs from annapolis). There is a shop called ELD performance and they say they do viper superchargers and can tune them but I have not spoken with anyone who had work done their.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Vec2 with vec software or teh Vec 3 is great for changing temperatures which affect the tune to some degree.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes head gaskets were changed, so thats not an option. Just trying to pick up a few more HP with the mods I currently have and make it drive better. Don't really want to mod it much more.

put it on a dyno, do some pulls (make sure the dyno has duel Air fuel sensors for both banks) and see what your Hp and A/F curve looks like. If your running real rich you will get some hp gains with a vec 2. You may also want to reconsder just having someone "reflash" your PCM. You can gain hp, but is $500 and alot of tweeking worth 50 Hp? If your not planning any future mods I dont think this is a worthwhile investment.

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Vec2/3 would give you some more HP and TQ by tweaking your AFR ratio. The Vec3 becomes more advantageous as you add turbo, sc, headwork, etc. Personally, while I have the Vec3 and its helped greatly, I would go for the SCT today. The SCT tuner did not exist when I purchased the Vec. The SCT tunes both open/closed loop. Closed loop is probably where you're doing most of your driving. It will also allow you to eliminate the skipshift, turn on the fan at a lower temp, adjust your adaptives, etc. The Vec cannot do this. I'd give Dan at ViperSpecialty a call to get more technical information on the differences between the two.

Some guys are doing vec2/3 and SCT combo... That's what I plan on doing.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some guys are doing vec2/3 and SCT combo... That's what I plan on doing.

Me too...Dan talked me into that and he made a lot of sense. I really do like the Vec3's logging feature and for someone like me the Vec3 allows me to tune without being too dangerous. :D

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back to the original question, who can tune one in MD or VA. I know Bernie is in Richmond (about 2 1/2 hrs from annapolis). There is a shop called ELD performance and they say they do viper superchargers and can tune them but I have not spoken with anyone who had work done their.

A Vec 2 or 3 dyno tune would be a waste of $$ with your mods. IMO

Sean supplies cards... that should do the trick.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4