VEC2 communication problem.

puma

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, here is the situation.

I am using the VEC2 and i am trying to connect with my laptop. I have no problem connecting to the card reader, reading cards and writing on them. The VEC works well as i started the car after i put a stock map card in it, it read it and everything is fine.

When i am trying to connect with direct though, i always get COM1 failed to open.

What should i try? My card reader is working right but unable to connect directly to the VEC. I extended the wires so i could get the db9 connector in the car, i checked my connection and everything is fine.

thanks for any input.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try a different COM port. I have had this trouble as well...more often since upgrading to a VEC 3 and having to add a USB adaptor to get it into my new laptop.

For whatever reason, I seem to have better luck if I hook up the VEC cable to the laptop, start the car, and then turn the laptop on. It seems to recognize the port right away. Can't hurt to try it. I think you also want to do a little test log idling in the garage before 'exposing' yourself on the road to make sure it's working right. In particular, make sure you're picking up your wideband. This has also happened to me. I've been logging...only to find a ZERO for the AFR signal. Rebooting the computer has always taken care of this. Could be my VISTA acting up. I have sent for Windows XP and am over writng VISTA. I don't like it!

Steve

OP
OP
P

puma

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well i tried to do what you said, connect, put the car on and start the laptop. didn't work.

so i tried different com port, which i was sure wouldn't work because the car reader works with com1.

well when i tried com4, IT WORKS!!!

thanks a lot Steve, that is really appreciated.

Damn i love this site :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
userSRTbro_