vec3 for a milder car? SCT?

darkostoj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looking at trying to take my gts to the next level and I want to modify it in stages. its all stock except a corsa exhaust, and eventually the plan is forced induction, but i slowly want to build the car up and was wondering if a vec3 would be a good choice.

In the next couple months I plan on adding a 200 or maybe more shot of nitrous (NX or TNT...want to run the plate kit) and a set of drag radials. Is the vec3 going to be overkill for me or should I go with something like the SCT?

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't speak about the SCT because I haven't played with one, but the vec will not be overkill. You may want to talk to some folks that have used both.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the v ec is great on a stocker and especially with nitrous. ive done it. had that combo for a couple of years and loved it.

the vec can be used as your WOT switch, rpm window switch and can help you fine tune. use the seach feature here for more info

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because your modifying your Viper in stages and you're doing nitrous I think the Vec3 is best suited for you. I think it's WOT timer/RPM switch would work well with your nitrous. Plus, you can tune yourself assuming you know what you're doing, and its logging capabilities are very nice. Definitely install a wideband O2 sensor if you're going to do any type of tuning.

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I should have an SCT in the next couple of weeks. I'll update you once I have a chance to play around with it.

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would wait on Sweet's results. A SCT is much less "intrusive". Meaning you are not cutting/splicing into the PCM.

I have the VEC III on my SRT Ram along with Roe's SC. It was about 5 months before the SCT was available. Sean has since replaced the VEC III with the SCT in the SC package, so it must do the job.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would wait on Sweet's results. A SCT is much less "intrusive". Meaning you are not cutting/splicing into the PCM.

I have the VEC III on my SRT Ram along with Roe's SC. It was about 5 months before the SCT was available. Sean has since replaced the VEC III with the SCT in the SC package, so it must do the job.

On his car there won't be any cutting/splicing with a Vec. But I do agree, he should look at the SCT too.
I'm not sure if Sean started using the SCT due to economics or a better product.
In my spare time :rolleyes: I need to download the SCT software/info and check it out.

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On his car there won't be any cutting/splicing with a Vec. But I do agree, he should look at the SCT too.
I'm not sure if Sean started using the SCT due to economics or a better product.
In my spare time :rolleyes: I need to download the SCT software/info and check it out.

I had to splice into each wire to the injectors and a few others on my SRT.

How about a GEN I? No SCT for GEN I, VEC is really the only option, I just never done it because I did not like doing what I did to my SRT.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to splice into each wire to the injectors and a few others on my SRT.

How about a GEN I? No SCT for GEN I, VEC is really the only option, I just never done it because I did not like doing what I did to my SRT.

I haven't worked with the truck or SRT10 but I do understand that you are correct. The Gen2 Vec harness has factory connectors that just go inline. You do have to use a few crimp connects for power/map but no cutting anymore. Even on the gen2 the harnesses have gotten less intrusive over the years. I think the gen1 is about the same.

I really wish some folks using the SCT would give us some info.

Ehhh, Just get an AEM and then you can play Russian roulette with me .... my wife keeps hiding my rusty razorblades too :D

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't worked with the truck or SRT10 but I do understand that you are correct. The Gen2 Vec harness has factory connectors that just go inline. You do have to use a few crimp connects for power/map but no cutting anymore. Even on the gen2 the harnesses have gotten less intrusive over the years. I think the gen1 is about the same.

I really wish some folks using the SCT would give us some info.

Ehhh, Just get an AEM and then you can play Russian roulette with me .... my wife keeps hiding my rusty razorblades too :D

I've got an SCT you can borrow. All you'll need is the tuning software. The SCT allows a max of three VINs to be used, so there are two slots left. My rental rate will be CHEAP! :D

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like I need to call Sean next week and talk to him about my GEN I.

Anyone have a VEC III on their GEN I? If so do you have pics?

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got an SCT you can borrow. All you'll need is the tuning software. The SCT allows a max of three VINs to be used, so there are two slots left. My rental rate will be CHEAP! :D

From what i understand: When the sct is used on a vehicle it is Locked to that VIN untill returned to stock. Yes it can be used on 3 vehicles, but only One at a time. One has to return to stock befor the SCT can be used on #2/#3. Otherwize 3 people could go in thirds on an SCT and pass it around...

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what i understand: When the sct is used on a vehicle it is Locked to that VIN untill returned to stock. Yes it can be used on 3 vehicles, but only One at a time. One has to return to stock befor the SCT can be used on #2/#3. Otherwize 3 people could go in thirds on an SCT and pass it around...

That is correct. My car is running on the "stock" tune, so it's ready to go. Someone would only need the tuning software.

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not true if you have a fleet... :D SCT is allowing me to run 17 VINs (so far) on one tuner. I imagine it's significantly different for the retail market though... I've considered purchasing the tuning software from them but I am about to start "testing" with a canned program direct from SCT. If their program doesn't show me the results I am looking for, I will likely be springing for the full set up.

I'll update as I get more info.

BTW, I don't think an SCT will work on a Gen 1 because (as I understand it) the cars aren't running OBD II.

Last edited:

britospeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd be happy to answer any SCT questions, just give me a call or email with all your questions.
Michael

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a 2002 FE GTS with the SCT "tool"...how do I found out whether the PCM is running with the factory or a tuned program?

britospeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plug in the SCT X2 and you'll be able to tell if it has the stock or modified program loaded.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plug in the SCT X2 and you'll be able to tell if it has the stock or modified program loaded.

Yep. If the SCT gives you the option to "return to stock", then it has a tune loaded.

The SCT will not tell if your PCM has been previously modified. I lost power after I bought my SCT from Roe. After a few adjustments to the tunes via email resulted in no improvements, he had me dowload a copy of my "stock" PCM settings. SCT said my PCM has been altered. I'm the third owner, and had no idea of the PCM reprogram. I think I could pick up some power with a dyno tune with the SCT. It's just too much trouble downloading and installing the tunes, going to the dyno, sending the results back to Roe, and then repeating the process. Much easier to have someone adjust the tune while the car is on the dyno.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had the Vec3 for two years. I'm getting an SCT / dyno tune next week. Will post results as well as my impressions of the Vec3 vs. SCT for a mildly-modified Viper.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang