Vented Hoods on GTS?

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm having a bit of a cooling issue with my 01 GTS on the track. Happens on hot days. It's a heads / cam / headers car at about 550 rwhp. I've done the Alan's bigger triple pass radiator and the Roe fascia cooling kit along with a rebuilt water pump, water wetter, more water than anti-freeze, etc.

I think I'm just not getting enough air out of the engine compartment. Will a vented hood help? If so where can I get one?

I've also read about cowl vents. Has anyone tried this? How well does this work if at all?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Dan

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm curious. How hot are you getting? Sounds like you've done about everything. Is it only getting too hot when you stop? Chuck wrote something a while back about needing to do a cool down lap or else you might lose coolant.

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it mostly a problem at tracks with a lot of WOT?

I have a similar issue with my stock 2002. I discussed this with the SRT engineers at VOI. A vented hood (GTSR style) will definitely help. However, the most likely culprit is the Cats. The theory is: WOT typically runs rich, the extra fuel gets the Cats smokin hot and the heat "backs-up" the exhaust.

The SRT engineers did not consider the stock radiator a limitation (on my stock car).

Another mod I have found VERY helpful is venting the rockers into the front wheel wells. Some vendors sell screens for this, I used a hole saw (someday I'll get around to installing the screens).

Removing the cowl will allow air in, not out, at speed.

Hope that helps.

OP
OP
Viper X

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for the input.

Purdue, Getting hot on the track on hot days. Hot for me is about 220 F. A bit more on really hot days. No problem when stopped, fan brings temp down quickly.

Redsled, PM Sent. If you don't get it, pm me please.

Chuck, Yes, they do. Maybe I'm just old and worry about 220 to 225 and shouldn't.

Jrker, Yes, on track with higher rpms. Car is tuned, has high flow cats, Borla Mufflers and 3-inch exhausts - not much back pressure. Parts Rack sells cowl vents and says that they help. I'll let you know.

I'm still thinking a vented hood would help a bunch.

Dan:usa:

Last edited:

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You live in So Cal, you can eliminate the antifreeze to get a bit more heat capacity running straight distilled water. Water wetter or Cosworth's (Tom's) Coolant have enough lubricant and anti-corrision additives to keep you safe.

Although, 220 isn't hot, so you may never "solve" the "problem".

(Do you have a 180 thermostat?)

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can also drill out the drivers side hood under the 'speaker' grill to let some heat out
or with a bit of effort add your own vents to a stock hood, this is a pic of Nadine's with them added

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Viper X

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
jrkermode,

Have the 170 thermostat. Running 25% coolant, 75% distilled water with water wetter.

I know, 220 F on the track isn't really that hot - I'd just like it cooler. I think a vented hood is in my future for the track. Hate to cut up the stock hood.

Dan

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told the 170 thermostat and water wetter were not good to use in the V10. If I remember correctly the Wizard gave me the info.

OP
OP
Viper X

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Opinions vary but both have lowered my operating temps on the track, just not enough!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang