VERY COOL MOVIE!!!

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was looking at viper videos on You Tube and ran across this. A 96 GTS vs. a Jet Car on the salt flats. It's in spainish, but it's def worth the watch!

click here

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Muy Rapido. Man... the dust is going to ruin those internals. Heck, they could not even see out of the helmets. Those were not salt flats, those were dust flats.

OP
OP
V

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Indeed it is a cool video! I was searching for an english version but found nothing. I'm curious if the viper was stock or modded cause the jet car took a little bit of time to pass it.

Hmmm would SVS be willing to put up a challenge? The viper has already beaten F-16's, how bout the SVS stryker against a single engine jet car?

ZX12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Indeed it is a cool video! I was searching for an english version but found nothing. I'm curious if the viper was stock or modded cause the jet car took a little bit of time to pass it.

Hmmm would SVS be willing to put up a challenge? The viper has already beaten F-16's, how bout the SVS stryker against a single engine jet car?

That "jet car" was actually using a Lycoming T-55 helicopter engine (3,750 shaft hp), turning all the wheels via a reduction gearbox (16000 rpm at the turbine to 7000 rpm at the wheels, ~2:1 ratio, at 450 mph). It was not designed for "out of the hole" acceleration due to it's high speed gearing (458 mph at the flats). So a strong piston car will outrun it for quite a while at the start.

Now, when you are talking about "real" jet engine cars (using thrust propulsion), the SVS would be hard pressed to outrun them, since those have been some of the fastest land speed vehicles ever. Craig Breedlove's Spirit of America, with a single 23,000 pound thrust GE J79 50,000 hp afterburning jet engine (from an F4 Phantom), has gone 676 mph at the flats. It can go from 0 to 636 mph in 35 seconds. I remember a show where Breedlove said there was no throttle...it's either at idle, or at full power. I'm pretty sure it accelerates quite a bit faster than an F16, and pretty much anything else on wheels. The SVS may outrun the Spirit for a hundred yards or so, but once the jet car gets going, it's bye bye SVS.

The only land vehicle to break the sound barrier was the Thrust SSC, with two Rolls-Royce Spey jet engines, pushing 50,000 pounds of thrust (100,000 horsepower at Mach 1). It went 763 mph. I remember reading an article where the pilot (Andy Green) mentioned the acceleration was so strong that it was hard to breathe.

I guess if the jet car uses a small enough engine, a powerful wheel driven car will be able to outrun it.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just some addition information about Don Vesco, driver of Turbinator, passed away, December 16, 2002. Don battled prostate cancer for about a year.

http://www.teamvesco.com/elmirage.htm
Shame. At least it looked like he had a full life. I can only hope I'm piloting around a jet car in my later days.

Very well said. I can only hope I'm having that much fun in my later days

Jay H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got the English version somewhere on vhs, I try to find it and convert to PC. Side Note: Might take until next week. When showing It to people I would always point out that in most of the far away shots that It showed them both that the Viper was holding Its ground most of the time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery