VERY frustrated by faulty radio on my new Viper

Ronald L. Cypher

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a new Viper coupe. The radio keeps fading in and out in reception. The CD works fine. My local dealer had it for several days and could not find a problem. When I was at VOI in Detroit, I spoke with a couple of Viper employees and they did not have any idea what was wrong. One employee took my name, phone and email and said he would get back to me. I have not heard from anyone.
Now my dealer has had it for another week. He has taken the entire dash out and said the contact from the antennae to the glass is defective and I need a new windshield! Unbelievable! Anyone have any thoughts? The way my new car looks right now...I need a new car!

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey at least you did not have to slug home at 2000 rpm needing a computer reflash as many on here have. So much for reliability but maybe the new owners will make it better. That ***** especially for 93k. Got to love the imports.

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hang in there everything will be just like new.i know it ***** to spend close to 100k and have an issiue,people spend 300 plus for ferrari,bentley etc and those break also.at least they found the problem

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yea , hang in there man, least u don't have to keep putting u're viper away because of weekly hurricanes

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a conductive epoxy like product used to repair rear window defroster grids. Have you given that any thought to repair the antenna/windshield interface? I think it would be worth a try before tearing out the windshield.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey at least you did not have to slug home at 2000 rpm needing a computer reflash as many on here have. So much for reliability but maybe the new owners will make it better. That ***** especially for 93k. Got to love the imports.

This crap again? American cars aren't all perfect, but neither are imports. The myth that they're far better is just that. Myth. Imports are not any better. Sometimes they're worse... a lot worse. :rolleyes:

Toyota Tacoma owners... - Motor Trend The General Forum Forum

Honda recalling 34,300 Fits - Autoblog

Feds investigate Lexus SUV brake complaints - 02/17/05

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/aug/14/german-automaker-bmw-recalling-200000-vehicles-1/

Mercedes-Benz Recalls 680,000 Cars for Sensotronic Braking System | Mercedes Auto Newss | Automobile.com

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's another idea if you don't like my first one:
Bypass the windsheid antenna altogether with a new FM dipole.
Get it at Radio Shack for $6.99 (catalog #42-2385). This is a thin flexable wire antenna in the shape of a "T". It's pretty much the same antenna as whats in your windsheild now. You just need to connect the ends to a solderless Motorola-Type antenna plug (also available at Radio Shack catalog #274-709 for $2.99).

So for less than $10 your car can be put back together starting tomorrow, with an antenna that will perform just as well as the windshield unit and will be invisible. Also, no worries about leaks from an improper windshield install. I hope this helps!

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ron, if you don't have it fixed by the time of the Canyon cruise, you can drive mine and I will drive yours for the day....my radio works OK...I think, I don't know if I ever turned it on. ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4