Vinyl overlays for badging?

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 2001 yellow RT/10 and I was thinking about black badging. I really want to keep the car stock so I was wondering if you can put a black "clear bra-like" material over the raised badging and carefully trim it. Could this work? Has anyone done something similar to this?

I don't really want to remove the existing badging but may consider it if I really like it.

Thanks,
Santo

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats a tough job and extremely hard to make it look right, trimming on the car is a no no

Bumbles

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also changed mine to Black. Very easy to do. Use a hair dryer to heat the old ones up and they'll come off a lot easier.

OP
OP
S

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also changed mine to Black. Very easy to do. Use a hair dryer to heat the old ones up and they'll come off a lot easier.

So I can re-use them if I remove them? Do I need to replace the tape on the back or does that come off with the heat too and even the tape is reusable?

I thought I read somewhere in these forums that one technique was to use fishing line to take them off (sort of slicing them off) but that may have been for the badge on the front fascia. I thought that was a little barbaric. If I can take them off and put them back on, I'm definitely in the market for a set of black ones :) Ya, I know... "Badges? You don't need no stinkin' badges!" I do because I like them.

Thanks for the replies!
Santo

P.S. Can someone point me to a yellow RT with black badges?

Bumbles

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No you can't reuse them but I doubt you would want to after you see Black on your car. The Black looks natural and you can always go back to Yellow at a later date.

Last edited:

Bumbles

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They tear apart when you take them off so if that's going to bother you don't do it. This is what mine looks like.

viper_0042.jpg

Last edited:

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put some duct-tape over the letters, get it stuck on the letters pretty good. Use a heat gun or hair dryer and heat the letters up so you can still touch them with your fingers to pull on them. Use a putty knife to carefully lift an edge of the letter and grab it with your fingers and gently pull them off one at a time. (While they stay attached to the duct-tape.) You may have to reheat once and a while. They won't have enough "sticky" to reuse on a car but they will stick to a mirror or glass or any smooth object. (I used the old letters on my glass display cases for my 1/18 vipers.) Once you stick them on the glass, etc. carefully peel the duct-tape off and you have the old emblem in one piece for some nice garage art!
p.s. the black emblems look 100 % better on the yellow cars.

OP
OP
S

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Bumbles, that bumblebee GTS looks HOT! I'm gonna start with the badges and then consider vinyl strips a little later. BTW, I found some more info about this kinda thing by searching for "emblems" and not "badges"... DOH! Too bad I just missed the group buy.

Thanks everyone,
Santo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale04SS