Vinyl stripes finally done! Check it out...

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Finally finished installing the autoform rollbar and switching from blue vinyl to metallic graphite stripes.

It was somewhat of a pain to install, but not too bad. I ordered a custom 8" roll of vinyl in a 50' length. It was more than enough for the GTS........even after a goof or two. There's a local guy that can order these 50' rolls of quality vinyl for about $130 if anyone's interested. If you don't have to pay for install, that's a pretty cheap set of stripes! I'll get some better pics when Oregon gets some sunshine.

web1.jpg

web2.jpg

web3.jpg

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looks good, what part of Oregona are you from? looks like crater lake in the background.

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great. I don't think I would have the courage...or the skill. Stripes are in my future, but not by my hand.

OP
OP
T

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I'm in Roseburg. About 2 hrs south of Portland and 1 1/2 hours west of Crater Lake. But good call, that's crater lake in my avatar.

Don't be too afraid to do your own stripes. I felt comfort knowing I only NEEDED 38 feet or so of vinyl but I BOUGHT 50 feet. It took a try or two to get the hang of stretching and shrinking the vinyl around the sharp contours on the bumpers. I spent plenty of time measuring and laying out guides (much like that in the Illustrated upgrades). I figured the worst that could happen it that I wasted $130. Oh, and I bought the professional vinyl application fluid which is supposed to make the job easier.

The vinyl that I took off must have been on there for several years, as it was very hard to take off. My new stipes look even better in the light. This dreary weather hides the sparkle in the metallic.

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The vinyl that I took off must have been on there for several years, as it was very hard to take off. My new stipes look even better in the light. This dreary weather hides the sparkle in the metallic.

A hairdryer works well to remove old vinyl!

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have a link to the product? I am to chicken [*****] to do it to the Viper, but would love silver stripes on the SRT Ram.

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks good. If I were you I'd run the stripes through the license plate area as well. Good job nevertheless. :2tu:

OP
OP
T

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Well I thought about the license plate area.....and the NACA duct for that matter. I could go either way, but I think not applying vinyl to the NACA duct kind of accentuates it. It really draws your eyes to it. I heard too many horror stories about trying to do the license plate area. I think it looks acceptable w/out them - but you're right, they should run through the recess.

And I found a hairdryer didn't help remove the old vinyl at all. As a matter of fact it made it worse. I found room temp to be the best. Too cold out and the vinyl isn't pliable and likes to "snap" off in little pieces. When you apply a little heat, the already thin vinyl becomes very soft and pulls off like taffy. I swear I tried everything short of an eraser wheel. I even tried soaking the edges with adhesive remover, but that became way too slow and messy. Those of you who've worked with this thin premium vinyl know what a (*&&^% it is to remove, especially if the 4 year vinyl has been on there for 7 years. After that nightmare, putting the new ones on was actually a dream. The hairdryer was essential to "setting" the adhesive and getting residual moisture out from under the vinyl.

Thanks for the feedback - good and bad. When I spend that many hours staring at the same project, I tend to lose perspective.

00SVTdubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know its an old thread but do you have any pics of it in the sun? The gts Im hoping to get is silver and this is the same combo Im looking to do but with HRE wheels. Thanks!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I thought about the license plate area.....and the NACA duct for that matter. I could go either way, but I think not applying vinyl to the NACA duct kind of accentuates it. It really draws your eyes to it. I heard too many horror stories about trying to do the license plate area. I think it looks acceptable w/out them - but you're right, they should run through the recess.

And I found a hairdryer didn't help remove the old vinyl at all. As a matter of fact it made it worse. I found room temp to be the best. Too cold out and the vinyl isn't pliable and likes to "snap" off in little pieces. When you apply a little heat, the already thin vinyl becomes very soft and pulls off like taffy. I swear I tried everything short of an eraser wheel. I even tried soaking the edges with adhesive remover, but that became way too slow and messy. Those of you who've worked with this thin premium vinyl know what a (*&&^% it is to remove, especially if the 4 year vinyl has been on there for 7 years. After that nightmare, putting the new ones on was actually a dream. The hairdryer was essential to "setting" the adhesive and getting residual moisture out from under the vinyl.

Thanks for the feedback - good and bad. When I spend that many hours staring at the same project, I tend to lose perspective.

Even Dodge didn't want the hassle of the license plate area after 96.
Looks much better around the duct, if I may say so.
Of course, I am biased....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32