Viper ACR Sets World Record at Nürburgring - NEW VIDEO

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The VCA is proud to present exclusive video of this amazing feat, just click the picture below to check it out (or right click to "Save File As") - and hold on to your seats!

The VCA was very proud to play a small role in the recent record setting effort of the SRT team at Nürburgring. The Viper ACR ran a blistering 7:22.1 around The Ring, beating the next closest rival by over four full seconds - a lifetime in racing. Congrats to SRT and the entire Viper Nation!

Stay tuned for the opportunity to purchase a DVD version with special driver commentary, outside camera footage (attached to the outside of the car during the run), and much, much more!

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the high res Video Chris. Thank you SRT for building such a fast track monster that beat the competition. This is a perfect video for my PSP. I cant stop watching it.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you Chris. On this version of the video, we can here the tires screeching. It can also be seen that he had a little wheel spin/hop a couple of times when the shifter was going side to side. Did he explain why he lifted on the long straight at the end?

By the way, can you get the text of Giles' speech and post it in the member's section for all of us who were not there to read? I also asked Bean to look into wheher this could be done. Thank you.

Best,

Bob

cheryl mccally

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the video Chris! The blog at the Motor Trend site is very interesting too. Anyone that has time should read some of the zillion comments. Many of the comments are either very biasd or very inaccurate.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the video Chris! The blog at the Motor Trend site is very interesting too. Anyone that has time should read some of the zillion comments. Many of the comments are either very biasd or very inaccurate.
Yes lots from the GT-R Folks. Lost interest after about 5 minutes of the same BS from the Butt hurt import fans.

jessewallace

Viper Owner
Reaction score
man, if dodge does drop the viper, talk about going out w/style!
this is unbelievable!!!
go dodge!

08Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I think the shifter jumping was being caused by hitting the rev limiter.If you watch the tach,every time it happens is when he is right at 6500 rpm.
Man,I wish I could downshift like that.

AlvaSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He was hitting the rev limiter a lot.
Also he missed a shift twice. (like 2 seconds lost there...)

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not think that the shifter moving was from the rev limiter. The type of motion shown is from traction loss with a bit of wheel hop. I have had it on more than one occasion over the years.

toomanymodz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That shifter bobbling back and forth caused him to miss those two shifts. Look closely and you'll see it start to wobble just as he goes to make the shift. Surely that is due to the rev limiter. It bobbles every time he hits the rev limiter. I don't think it's due to wheel hop, not at those speeds.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That shifter bobbling back and forth caused him to miss those two shifts. Look closely and you'll see it start to wobble just as he goes to make the shift. Surely that is due to the rev limiter. It bobbles every time he hits the rev limiter. I don't think it's due to wheel hop, not at those speeds.

i believe it did it when he was running on the apron on the corners. a traction loss there would not be unususal. The '08 surges above about 4000. Some have posted at how surprised they were at the degree of surge. in one case, I believe someone experienced a serious traction loss and had a Viper bite moment. Perhaps this issue will be cleared up when they release the DVD with the driver's comments.

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
World record. Is this the fastest time ever? for a street car? That would be awesome? What have supercharged vipers ran?

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I think the shifter jumping was being caused by hitting the rev limiter.If you watch the tach,every time it happens is when he is right at 6500 rpm.
Man,I wish I could downshift like that.
Don't the '08s have a 6250 RPM limiter? Or is it 6500?

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice video. Thanks for the download. I agree the shifter thumping must be rev limiter. Shifting doesn't look all that smooth, but I don't think it cost him 2 sec. A few tenths, for sure.

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Big congrats to Dodge, and the VCA. Your efforts have propelled the Viper into the future. Good show! Thanks for what you have done. Really awesome!

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The shifter shaking was from hitting the rev limiter, that is this particular guys style of driving the ring. The video at VOI listed the best times that have been recorded by other cars. The serious track guys watching this at VOI estimate there is another 4 to 10 seconds possible with more practice, no headwind, etc. I think this is the known record for a car that can be registered and legally street driven. It even beat the Bugatti.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was AWSOME watching this with the entire VOI crowd! Sort of like attending the 7th game of the world series at home.

SO great that the SRT guys "feel it" the exact same why we do!

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The shifter shaking was from hitting the rev limiter, that is this particular guys style of driving the ring. The video at VOI listed the best times that have been recorded by other cars. The serious track guys watching this at VOI estimate there is another 4 to 10 seconds possible with more practice, no headwind, etc. I think this is the known record for a car that can be registered and legally street driven. It even beat the Bugatti.

You're 100% right Lee. And besides being his style of driving, he hit the rev limiter right as he was heading into the turn, in almost every situation. Any road racer would never up shift right as he went in the turn.

These drivers have an insane talent. Besides driving without fear, they know the each and every track after being on it only a few times, mentally, and remember where to be in what gear etc etc. Sure he missed a few shifts but he still did one helluva job.

When is the video going to be ready for sale?

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is Nürburgring lap times - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia However they still need to fix where it says "suspension alterations", just because you can adjust the suspension which of course is an option from the factory, does not mean that it was alterations, that makes it seem that its other than stock.

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They Bugatti Veyron ran a 7:40, they were not even close.

The Buggati, like the ZR1, imho, are purpose built to run top end. The ACR as we know it, has a top speed of 165+. I'm sure when Road and Track does their Top Speed Run issue, the ACR won't qualify. And I'm sure the road racers won't care.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang