Viper as a daily driver questions............

426Hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering from anyone whom uses their Viper as a daily driver, is it really cost intensive to do so? Other than oil changes are there any other costs associated with driving it alot? How are they on the reliability front?

On a side note, if anyone is thinking about taking their Viper into D.C., don't. There are some potholes in there that you need a 4X4 to get in and out of.

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Used it as a daily driver for a couple of months. Am not really a big fan of it.
It's actually more 'exciting'to take it out on special occasions. Costco trips also prove to be challenging.
I think reliability is great. No issues what so ever. And its not like oil changes cost as much as e.g. for a Porsche. Just buy premium oil + filter and bring it to Jiffy Lube. You'll pay 20$.
Take into account tire costs though.

OP
OP

426Hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tires wear really fast huh? Or just fast if you don't keep the foot out of it?

OP
OP

426Hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember when I was working in Langley, VA I use to follow a viper home almost everyday. So I guess there are those who drive them everyday. Just don't think that I would like to drive it (or any standard tranny car) on the Beltway everyday.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No way are you going to commute every day in the Washington DC area in a Viper.
The weather isn't good enough in winter. Snow, slush, ice, jeez, even rain is not easy in a Viper.

Potholes in the pre dawn dark, trucks dropping stones, hours in backups on the beltway.

You will trash the car, and for what? Just to save the cost of a ******? Get real. If you can't afford a ****** as an extra car, don't buy a Viper.

OP
OP

426Hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn man calm down. I don't recall saying that I even drive in DC. As I recall I said that I would not drive it in that area. It was a big enough pain driving down there in a auto trans Gr. Cherokee. There is no way I would even consider driving a Viper there. That is why I was amazed that I saw one on a regular basis driving on the beltway.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry about that,
When I saw that you live in Owings Mills and you were asking about daily driving a Viper, I figured you were talking about doing it somewhere in the MD, DC, VA area.

Most guys asking about daily driving a Viper are asking about having a Viper as their only car. If you have an extra car, then you will find that you will have no problem driving your Viper on any day you like/

I live in southern MD. I don't see how anyone could even drive a Viper daily in my area.
Get up in the morning, find a dusting of snow on the road, what do you do?
On your way home from work, thunderstorm hits, you better not try to push those big tires down a highway in heavy rain.

I guess I can see daily driving a Viper in a place where there is no snow or ice, little heavy rain, decent roads, safe protected parking, traffic that isn't too congested,
one of those places.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive my SRT everyday, rain or shine. Not much snow in the South Carolina, and no road salt. Of course I have a ****** (or 6) as backups. Funny, I guess I didn't think of the '04 Z4 as a ****** until now. THANKS!

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Searching is a good idea, you will see that I have repeatedly posted that I daily drive (~20k/year) my Viper, and the maintenance costs can get up there, especially regarding tires. Many don't have reliability issues, but I have (see previous posts), though most have not been drivability issues (but for the 2 trannies). Driving in the ice is not recommended:

Viper on Lawn

As for driving in DC, I've driven my Viper in DC repeatedly, left it on the street overnight, hit many potholes in 4x4 mode, etc. - it's all good!

Viper at Washington Monument

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its a good daily driver the only problem is that it stops feeling fast. I drove my as much as I could (weather bearing) and it stopped feeling fast. Hence the new blower and forged pistons.

Its no worse than vette

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
daily driver here in NYC. before i purchased the car everyone said it sucked cause it over heats in city heat and traffic jams. i have had no problems at all! gas is expensive and drinks a whole bunch especially in the city driving environment. also parking lots in NYC cost on avg $25-30. cant keep it in the street cause of the crowds it attracts. the other thing is those damn *** holes. car is great and was meant to be driven....

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slaughter's tranny issue is unique. The way he drives who knows what he's doing to that car.

I have 83K on my 98 RT/10 with no major issues. 30K track miles on my 97 GTS with even fewer issues.

Did you buy it to drive it or just look at?

LIVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slaughter's tranny issue is unique. The way he drives who knows what he's doing to that car.

I have 83K on my 98 RT/10 with no major issues. 30K track miles on my 97 GTS with even fewer issues.

Did you buy it to drive it or just look at?

83K Miles!! :eek: Holy cow, that's awesome!! :2tu: Although I have only had mine about 8 months, I drive all the time. I drove to work today in 30 degree weather.

What kinds or repairs/replacements have you made in 83K miles? Anything scary expensive? How does it drive now?

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is extremely reliable, but it never met a gas station it didnt like! I figure if I am gonna spend all that $$$ I am driving the wheels off it. I have a ferrari dino with over 157k on it that I used as a daily driver in boston!!! The more you drive em the better they are!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with all of you. There is no reason a Viper can't be treated like a regular car. Drive it, it will take you wherever you need to go.
I'm just saying that in the mid Atlantic area there will be many days when you will not be able to drive a Viper.

It can be a daily driver if you have a backup car or if you have a very flexible schedule.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive it every day... love it..... my only issue is no roll up windows... I have a 1996 RT.

I have other vehicles.... but I have found that in the last year my Viper has been driven somewhere around 95% of the miles I have driven.

ChoiceViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Daily for me unless it's pouring rain. BUT, I only work about ten minutes from home, so it might not count.

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would drive my 94 RT daily, but the zip windows & ragtop ****. It leaks a little water when it rains, & rattles too much. I never even use it anymore. If I cant go top off, I dont take it out. If I had a coupe, I'd drive it daily.

I know i have the option of a hardtop & sliders, but I can't really afford the upgrade now at new cost.

Which reminds me, anyone got a used Gen 1 red hardtop at a price I cant refuse?? sliders???

I rather buy em used than new...

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Tim721. Met you on the OCC met in Nov. I had the silver blue striped GTS with the purner rims. Glad to see you are enjoying the car.
Chuck is getting my car ready for spring. Roe blower,rockers and car lowered. Can't wait.
Take care and be careful.

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
daily no problem as long as its not too cold or snowing. vipers handle as well as any other car in the rain, its all driver

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think living in the Maryland area you should be able to drive 80-90% of the time. Good tires are the great equalizer once the weather gets even slightly crappy. And you could not pay me to take it on the DC beltway, you would shake the fillings right out of your teeth. My M5 did not like that road either.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kinds or repairs/replacements have you made in 83K miles? Anything scary expensive? How does it drive now?

Oil cooler fitting was soldered well. Took it off myself and had it tig'd for $20.

Oil leak at the timing cover gasket. Fixed by Macedo Motorsports.

Power window motor driver's side went bad. Called Chuck Tator for a new motor, installed it myself.

OP
OP

426Hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry about that,
When I saw that you live in Owings Mills and you were asking about daily driving a Viper, I figured you were talking about doing it somewhere in the MD, DC, VA area.

Most guys asking about daily driving a Viper are asking about having a Viper as their only car. If you have an extra car, then you will find that you will have no problem driving your Viper on any day you like/

I live in southern MD. I don't see how anyone could even drive a Viper daily in my area.
Get up in the morning, find a dusting of snow on the road, what do you do?
On your way home from work, thunderstorm hits, you better not try to push those big tires down a highway in heavy rain.

I guess I can see daily driving a Viper in a place where there is no snow or ice, little heavy rain, decent roads, safe protected parking, traffic that isn't too congested,
one of those places.

Joe, no problem. I kinda figured that is what you thought and I agree trying to get by with only a Viper up here is insane. Especially like last winter. I lost count how many 4X4's I pulled out of the ditch with my Jeep. Guess all 4X4's arent equal, or at least the drivers.

OP
OP

426Hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive my SRT everyday, rain or shine. Not much snow in the South Carolina, and no road salt. Of course I have a ****** (or 6) as backups. Funny, I guess I didn't think of the '04 Z4 as a ****** until now. THANKS!

Not sure that I would consider the Z4 as a ****** either heh. I would like to see the "M" peeps get ahold of the Z4, power is the only thing I can see that it is lacking. I consider my cavalier a ******, which is why I never drive it heh.

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Tim721. Met you on the OCC met in Nov. I had the silver blue striped GTS with the purner rims. Glad to see you are enjoying the car.
Chuck is getting my car ready for spring. Roe blower,rockers and car lowered. Can't wait.
Take care and be careful.

Thanks. Yeah, of course I remember your car. I must say you got one of the best looking coupes I've ever seen. Did you ever get around to painting the stripes???

I see you're from Wallingford. I pass by there all the time in the summer on my way up through CT to my father's house (he had the yellow RT/10). Anyways, we gotta cruise together in the spring. See you at Tators w/ your new blower :2tu:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Oil cooler fitting was soldered well. Took it off myself and had it tig'd for $20.

Oil leak at the timing cover gasket. Fixed by Macedo Motorsports.

Power window motor driver's side went bad. Called Chuck Tator for a new motor, installed it myself.

BTW it runs as well today as it did 83,000 miles ago.