Viper as a road car

Leonard Knight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to bore anyone to death but I just returned from a cross country trip in my yellow 2001 GTS. Total miles 5704 starting in California heading to upstate New York, down through Missouri and back across Highway 40. Had a great time. Car was very comfortable and I managed about 25 miles to the gallon.

I had a chance to meet Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse Dodge. I thought that since I have purchased two cars from him it might be a good idea to meet him face to face (partially to butter him up for early delivery on a 2003). Anyway he is a nicer guy in person than even on the phone. Got an oil change while I was there. You should see their Dodge and Ford dealership. It's about the size of Rhode Island. Anyway I enjoyed meeting Bill and look forward to some additional purchases from him. By the way he suggest calling this my own one lap of America which it turned out to be.

I was able to time the trip so that I could visit Watkins Glen while Skip Thomas was there with the Viper Days events. I can tell you that the tracks in the east are for real men. I have been at Thunder Hill, Phoenix Raceway, Willow Springs and others out in California and if you go off track you just get real dirty. At Watkins Glen if you go off you get real hurt. Anyway it is a beautiful track and I wish I had brought my helmet. Skip offered one to me but I knew I had about 3000 more miles to go so I decided to pass. I can tell you the east coast group is as nice as everyone out here. It was good to see Tracey and Courtney again since I have not been able to participate this year.

I did manage a few spirited driving stretches during the trip. I can tell you I would never make this trip without my radar detector. I got zapped so many times I thought I would be glowing. Anyway it kept me out of trouble more than a few times. There are some great highways in the US. That stretch of 70 across Utah where there is no services for 108 miles is great. Going over the Rockies into Colorado is also perfect for the vipers.

For all those that don't think this car is comfortable or good as an everday driver I can tell you that I have made this trip before in other cars like BMW's and this is the most fun and comfort I have had. The only drawbacks were too much time at gas stops answering questions and flash from cameras as I was driving along the highway.

No damage to the car except the windshield which I expected. The mopar bra did its job well into the triple digits( did I say that? I meant up to the posted speed limit).

Our country is as diverse as its people and I would highly recommend making this trip.

As Simon and Garfunkle once said "Gee but its great to be back home".

Sorry for too much rambling.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That sounds like a great trip, all right. I have also found the Viper to be quite comfortable on long road trips. The only thing I want is cruise control. 25 mpg is great. I think the best I have seen is 22 mpg.

I hope to go on a few long trips myself in the next year or so.

Jim

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a trip. Now about Woodhouse. That place scared me when I first saw it. Cars lined up out in cow pastures, cars wrapped around the side of hills that look like the roads going up pikes peak. That place is amazing. I think they have more cars on the lot than the population count of Blair, Kneebraska. Bill sure can drive those Vipers. I can't think of a better person to sell them. Bill and Bob are great guys, especially to do business with.

OP
OP
L

Leonard Knight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are right about Bill and the dealership. It has been more convenient to buy my cars through Bill than locally. No hassle and everything is done right.

One strange thing I forgot to mention is that I only saw one viper in those two weeks and that was a yellow 2001 roadster in Des Moines. Thought I would see more.

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, I did a 4 hour drive from Texas to Louisiana and I just wanted to get out by the end.

And that includes 2 short breaks: one for refueling, and one for explaining to the friendly Texas State Troopers that the Viper is a stripped down race car that is too powerful to control the speed. They smiled and wrote the warning.

I was just happy to stand on the side of the freeway and admire the rear quarter view of this gorgeous car.

But seriously, the seats push on my shoulder blades in a Chinese torture fashion while the center console slowly attempts to push my upper arm joint out of socket. The foot well tires my legs and the left foot on the accelerator really doesn't make things better. Not to mention that the A/C is really not up to the battle of 100deg Texas weather combined with the heat of the engine sneaking into the cabin.

I never drive BMW's, but if they are less comfortable than a Viper it's no wonder I don't. I can tell you that my lowly, but fully loaded, Dodge Intrepid is an awesome highway cruiser.

OP
OP
L

Leonard Knight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never had any problem with heat in either my 96 GTS or the 2001. Air works great, seats are comfortable even on the long haul and I am about 6'. I use the center console as an arm rest. Sometimes rubs my elbow a little but nothing serious. Didn't use the radio much though. Stock one is just not that great.

It was a great trip and I plan to do it again. At least until the airlines firm up their schedules. Any idea who the yellow RT was in Des Moines? I believe I passed through there Wednesday afternoon two weeks ago?

OP
OP
L

Leonard Knight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are right about the road dirt. Even on clear days with no rain the car was completely coated by the end of the day. Must be something on the road or the exhaust from other cars. I spent the end of each day cleaning up the car. I thought I was driving fast enough to miss the dirt or at least blow it off but no such luck.

I agree. Drive your cars.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456