Viper Build Quality

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like my GTS better than my '01 Z06 but the vette was built better. I never had to worry about the doors on the vette sagging.

It will sag over time, but that's just normal wear and tear considering the doors are long and swing in an upward position. You can easily re-adjust the doors, or get new hinges. The question is, did it sag when you got it new?

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess this is what led to a question on another forum.I do think the Coupe he saw was an exception,rather than the rule.I don't have these issues on my 06 FE coupe.

OP
OP
W

Way2Fast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds like a plant to me

Yeah, I'm starting to think the same thing here. Guy has 3 posts and we are supposed to believe he really owned a couple Vipers, I thought the "I owned them briefly part" was very interesting.

So I'm a "plant" ?? NO WAY !!! I belonged to this forum back in 2002/03. When I tried to get back on, my old password was not recognized. I had to register again, a couple of times...before I finally was able to post.

I would post some pics of my Vipers, but I can not find anywhere that says "add attachments". Here is why I owned them "briefly". I purchased a new '03 from a dealer in CA on Ebay. (I believe his name was Norm...from Dodge Vipers For Sale .com) About a week later I saw one for sale in VA. It had a low reserve so I bid and won it. (the owner had gotten the big discount Chrysler Corp was giving to prior Viper owners) I figured I would keep one and sell the other, hopefully for a profit so it would lower the price I paid for Number 1. I did exactly that, only I was given an offer I couldn't refuse for Number 2, so I sold that one too! Hence my owning them "briefly". Since then I had a C6 2005 Coupe...also "briefly" as it was another Ebay buy that I resold for a profit. Now I'm looking for a "keeper", but I want to make sure it is what I want. I dislike the new Vette because of all the electronic gismos. The Z06 is a fine car in other respects, but the day I pay over sticker for ANYTHING will never arrive. Besides in a couple of years Z06's and C6's (who, other than a car guy, can tell them apart?) will be almost as common as Accords...I enjoy individuality, and a Viper provides that. It will always get attention because of its hot looks and rarity.

I started this post to get the opinions owners of 2006 coupes. It seems like the one I saw first hand was not a good representation of the breed. I didn't do it to ruffle anyones feathers !!

Richard

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Maybe the '06 coupe I looked at was a Monday morning or Friday afternoon build, but I can assure you that the uneven gaps between adjoining panels and the "levelness" of the hood, rear hatch etc were subpar to any new car made today. (Possible exception being the Ford GT, where you can practically insert your fingers into some of spaces between panels.) I'm not discussing mechanical problems or reliability with the Viper, only exterior construction. The coupe I saw was terrible !!

I can insert my fingers in any C6.
I hope your finger is the only thing you are inserting into the C6. :eek:

...at least AFTER the vette cools down :eek: :nana: :nana: :nana:

LOL :D :D :D

Reaction score
Build quality of my 2003SRT10 is perfect.

Would be happy to park my Viper next to any Corvette, and let the experts compare fit and finish.

I have watched Vipers assembled and the panels painted and finished. These cars are finished as perfect as humanly possible.

Rootstown_Snake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know that I had to have new seals for my convertable top put in and that my hood needs re-aligned on my 06 Roadster.....

Wow!! This thread has been an eye opener!

Eagle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
04 here and the fit and finish is flawless. The paint is amazing as well, i couldnt ask for more. My car must have been built mid-week. Eagle

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had briefly owned two 2003 SRT 10 verts back when they first came out. There was a marked difference in build quality between the two vehicles. Each had their share of construction boo boo's, however one was better than the other in most areas. I recently looked at a '06 coupe and was turned off by the assembly faults. By now I though Dodge would have corrected some of the early problem areas. The alignment of body panels on the coupe was terrible. Gaps were not uniform. The panels did not fit flush, apparently because they were not shimmed correctly. Under the front bumper there were 2 unevenly spaced "bumps" in the flexible skirt area. For a vehicle that is supposedly hand assembled, care in construction was non existant. I have owned a C6 Corvette and (other than orange peel in the paint) it's fitment was vastly superior to the Viper at about 1/2 the price. I know I'm a nitpicker when it comes to panel alignment, etc and was wondering if anyone else has experienced sloppy assembly and been turned off by it? I was going to purchase a new coupe, but now I'm undecided.
Are you sure it was on 06 coupe and not a 06 Z06, They do look alike since GM copied the design of the viper.

Rootstown_Snake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
[/QUOTE] Are you sure it was on 06 coupe and not a 06 Z06, They do look alike since GM copied the design of the viper.

[/QUOTE]

It is amazing how many people think that my 06 roadster is a Corvette :buttkick:

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have someone here that works at Conner right (I don't remember his name)? He should chime in on this...

There was a guy around here not too long ago that worked for ASC. He knew all about the paint, so he might know something about how the panels are put on/lined up after paint.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that I had to have new seals for my convertable top put in and that my hood needs re-aligned on my 06 Roadster.....

Another dissatisfied customer... that also happens to be a noob. Plants abound! :rolleyes:

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is amazing how many people think that my 06 roadster is a Corvette. -Rootstown_Snake

Sorry but you shouldn't let anyone with a severe mental illness making such a ludicrous comment amaze or bother you. :bonker:

Rootstown_Snake

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Another dissatisfied customer... that also happens to be a noob. Plants abound! :rolleyes:

Hmmm, what does my hood being mis-aligned and my seals for my top have to do with being a noob? And as far as being a plant, I put my VIN number in when I joined this forum just like any other owner on this board!

Maybe if I had 1600 posts next to my name and I had just bought a 2006 Viper you would have said "wow, what a shame....A seasoned veteran poster on this board doesn't deserve such build quality"

[******]???? Get a life!

OP
OP
W

Way2Fast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems that anyone here who asks a simple question and gets a few answers that are a bit negative relating to the Viper, gets attacked and labeled a "plant" along with those who answered the question. Vipers are unique automobiles but they are not without faults. Those who refuse to admit it are living in a make believe world ! Maybe the 06 Viper Coupe (and I know the difference between a Vette and a Viper, Thank you !!!) was a prime example of normal Viper quality (or lack of it). I wish I had the opportunity to view one of the "perfect" cars owned by some of the members who posted on this thread. I wonder how many defects I could point out to the owner !!

Richard

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those who THINK they know what good fit and finish is, try this: Go to your local Kia dealership with your credit card. (No, not to buy one) Place the card along each adjoining panel and look at the gap between the card and the surface. There usually isn't one. I'm not talking about only the higher (relative) priced Kias, even check out the Rios. Now use a piece of plastic about 3mm thick and insert it into the hood gaps, the trunk gaps, the door gaps.....you'll find an amazing consistancy. Now, with your handbuilt Viper do the same. It should be better, right? Equal?

I recently checked all the gaps/flushness on a new Impala. Impressive. GM must have invested correctly in the tooling to ensure such nice fit and finish. I also looked at a lot full of '07 Caddy DTS's. Also surprisingly good.

The bottom line is that low volume and handbuilt doesn't always mean better. It means some will be good, some won't. It's all in the final quality inspectors judgement/mood. If he/she says "ship it", they do.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hmmm, what does my hood being mis-aligned and my seals for my top have to do with being a noob? And as far as being a plant, I put my VIN number in when I joined this forum just like any other owner on this board!

Maybe if I had 1600 posts next to my name and I had just bought a 2006 Viper you would have said "wow, what a shame....A seasoned veteran poster on this board doesn't deserve such build quality"

[******]???? Get a life!

Not very hard to add a VIN ... I'm sure GM has purchased a handful of Vipers to strip down and compare. :rolleyes:

Just a coincidence that the only two championing the "Viper is crap" camp seems to be people that just joined and nobody here seems to know. Plants, I say! :buttkick: :bonker: :nana:

Rootstown_Snake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Even better idea... why doesn't a vca member here go to that dealership and check out this "bad" Viper?

This will be my final reply to this plant/noob crap. I sell software not cars!!

I am a VCA member and you my friend seem to be a bit too quick to judge others and perhaps even a bit paranoid. (Smoking a little too much of the Humboldt County Thunder**CK?)

My entire family on my fathers side worked for Chrysler and retired from Chrysler....If anything, I am a Chrysler advocate! I also own a Dodge RAM for cripes sake!

Where in any of my threads have you seen me bash Dodge or Vipers for that matter? I simply stated the problems that I have experienced to date.........

If this is the kind of treatment that you have given others as soon as they join this board, I am surprised to still see you here.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not the norm. Welcome to the Viper community. You may note over time that most of the negativism is directed toward SRT owners from those with previous generations. The best method is to ignore them. They do not understand that we purchased a Gen III because we wanted to. Strange concept indeed.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not the norm. Welcome to the Viper community. You may note over time that most of the negativism is directed toward SRT owners from those with previous generations. The best method is to ignore them. They do not understand that we purchased a Gen III because we wanted to. Strange concept indeed.

What are you even talking about? The discussion is about people coming in here, trying to sound like they're being objective, and talking smack about the SRT's. As a gen2 owner, I've done NOTHING BUT defend the SRT in this thread. These belligerant noobs are mad because I think it odd that TWO came out of nowhere to say the build quality of SRT's are crap, and the vettes are better...

WHERE on earth in this thread is a gen2 guy being negative about an SRT? You're welcoming a guy that says a vette is better built than an SRT? Are you even reading anything here, or do you just randomly go to threads and post your dribble? :bonker:

And I say the same thing... somebody OTHER than the noob, go check out the dealership... he seemed a bit too mad that I suggest someone go check on the validy of his story. A legit person would invite someone to go with him to check it out if they have nothing to hide. :rolleyes:

I could be wrong and would have no problems apologizing if I am. :nana:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, maybe I was a little too quick. But as many jabs as I have seen over the past 3 years regarding the Gen III I don't feel compelled to sort things out first before getting defensive.

Regarding build quality I have mixed opinions. My 1995 needed to have hood and fascia adjustments, but that is the only significant build quality effect I had.

My 2003 needed the hood adjusted (by me). It needs the doors biased rearward as it has worn through the paint on both front fenders where it rubs. The paint quality was much inferior to the 95 in both orange peel and stone chiop resistance. My trunks inner lip (along the front edge) is off center such that I need to press the boot down on that side when closing to prevent it from cutting into the boot. Oh, and I needed to shave off some of the console storage bin door latch to allow it to open back when I first got it. There may be a few other little things I did during the normal ownership experience as well.

Now those a facts about my cars build quality. I never mentioned it here before because build quality has not been a significant issue. But I cannot stand here and say they have been flawless. That is not my experience.

I have never owned a Corvette so I cannot provide a comparison in that regard. So is this better, indicating my real world experience? I hope you do not immediately question my ownership aspects because I have not had perfection.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, maybe I was a little too quick. But as many jabs as I have seen over the past 3 years regarding the Gen III I don't feel compelled to sort things out first before getting defensive.

Hey... been there, done that. When you're in a barroom brawl, you don't stop to see who you're swinging at.

I don't expect perfection from a hand assembled car... especially the gen1/2's. My gts has rattles and gaps, but I always saw it as part of the charm. The gen3's have been much tighter than the gen1/2's. I hear a lot less complaints of fit and finish, but you'd have to be in denial if you think they're perfect.

My complaint has been the stealth "objective" complaint of SRT fit, then sneak in a praise for the vette as the better car... you can't spew that here and not expect to get flamed. All I want is proof... someone in FL PLEASE go check it out. Then show me how much better vettes fit. I can't imagine GM batting 100 on them either. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
W

Way2Fast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The last post I made about welcoming someone to go to the FL dealership with a "credit card" to check the uneven gaps and not level adjoining panels has "vanished" Why was it deleted? Afraid someone might agree with me if they saw it?
I thought the construction flaws on the 2 2003 verts I had may have been due to first year construction. Apparently not as the 06 coupe was no better. No where did I say that Corvettes are perfect. I have owned Vettes since 1961 and they all had issues. However the 2005 C6 I most recently owned was better than any of the prior years. But I had to align the hood myself, because it was not centered. No car is perfect, but some are closer to it than others. Now who wants to visit New Symrna Beach Dodge and see a Viper with a LOT of issues ???

Richard

JimmyCrackcorn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had briefly owned two 2003 SRT 10 verts back when they first came out. There was a marked difference in build quality between the two vehicles. Each had their share of construction boo boo's, however one was better than the other in most areas. I recently looked at a '06 coupe and was turned off by the assembly faults. By now I though Dodge would have corrected some of the early problem areas. The alignment of body panels on the coupe was terrible. Gaps were not uniform. The panels did not fit flush, apparently because they were not shimmed correctly. Under the front bumper there were 2 unevenly spaced "bumps" in the flexible skirt area. For a vehicle that is supposedly hand assembled, care in construction was non existant. I have owned a C6 Corvette and (other than orange peel in the paint) it's fitment was vastly superior to the Viper at about 1/2 the price. I know I'm a nitpicker when it comes to panel alignment, etc and was wondering if anyone else has experienced sloppy assembly and been turned off by it? I was going to purchase a new coupe, but now I'm undecided.

When I reiceved my Coupe, the plastic cover that protects the fog light under the front fender fell off and broke the first time I drove it, so i ordered 2 more and just replaced it again. 3 bolts were also missing on the front fender, ridiculous. The window dressing around the door jam, the wind sealent or whatever its called, wasnt glued in, so the wind noise can get through the window and isnt held down, I tried to glue it myself, so did the shop, and to avail, the entire windsheild needs to come off and a whole new weather strip needs to be ordered then replaced. Furthermore the "lowtire" light is on all the time and has to go to the dealer to be fixed. I wont take it to a dealer, last time I did they ran it though their car wash.
What quality control for a then 91k car.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now who wants to visit New Symrna Beach Dodge and see a Viper with a LOT of issues ???

Richard

That's really brave of you the second time around. Glad to see you taking my advice. :buttkick:

Seriously though... someone go check it wrong.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was looking at my new VCA coupe real hard and I am very picky. The fit and finish looked very good other than slight swirl marks in the clear(polished out). My Yellow VCA had more issues with the fit of the panels like the rear deck and hood so some cars are better than others.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My SRT/10 is two days away, but my 2000 GTS amazed me at the quality and workmenship the went into it. For 450hp and the amount of track time I put into it, it never quit, rattled, or broke. The quality of my 2000 is one of the reasons I have no problem paying $60K for my next one.

Glad to hear you will be back on the road soon. Enjoy! :2tu:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06Quad