Viper Cooling System Pressure - Hose Replacement

jgrakla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys:

I am doing a job right now to replace my thermostat and gaskets. In so doing, I removed the 2" coolant return hose that attaches to the thermostat housing. It was seized on there, so I cut it off. In retrospect, I wish I hadn't because that is a $118 part from the dealiership. I was going to just replace with a generic piece of radiator hose that had approximately the same bend to it (stock application for another vehicle cut to proper length). But, I have heard that the viper cooling system operates at higher pressure, e.g 30 pounds vs a regular car at 7 pounds. If that is the case, I wonder if there is something special about the stock Viper coolant return hose such that it can handle the higher pressure.

Do you guys know if the Viper cooling system in fact runs at higher pressure?
Would a stock application from another vehicle fail/burst under higher pressure?
Do I need to replace this hose with something special or will a generic replacement work?

Thanks a lot!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i cant imagine any other hose NOT working. its not like 30 psi is that much pressure. but i could be wrong obviously

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would install the Roe hoses with bleeder vent. You don't say what year your vehicle is, but since you're on the GTS/RT10 forum that would make it no later than 2002 model. Your still intact lower hose should be done for that reason. It is old. Yes, 5 years or more is old for an under hood rubber part.

Your question about the pressure the Viper runs at in the cooling system... Wipe the grime off that radiator cap and see if it is printed on there. If it says 15psi like many do, then...

And my apologies in advance if your radiator cap is always sparkly clean.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The pressure cap limits the Viper cooling system pressure to 17psi, about where most newer cars are. That's a pound or two higher than some older cars.

Finding a pre-formed hose close enough to work in a Viper application seems like a lot of work for little benefit, especially given the risk of the non-Viper specific hose rubbing up against an underhood component and rupturing. Even worse though would be to use a "universal" hose. A failure waiting to happen in my opinion.

Last edited: