Viper Days at TWS, report from the track

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Impressive driving at these events folks, if you haven't been to one you are definitely cheating yourself out of an experience. How often do you get a chance to see the best in action, check out their rides up close and ask the questions you can't seem to get answered anywhere else? And then have these guys take you around the course at speed?

Using the 2.9 mile road course at Texas World Speedway the usual suspects have turned central Texas into the loudest Snake pit this side of VOI. 1:48 was the time to beat in practice yesterday, both Woodhouse (1:48.5-7) and then Mumford (1:48.1, in a stock motored, full interior, license plate car no less) put their respective lines in the sand. Jon Atherton's 1:57 in a completely stock car, and I do mean Pilot tires as well (nicely scrubbed by the end of the day), is most impressive for those of us that consider TWS as our backyard.

The wheel to wheel is at 1:00 CST today, warmups kick off at 8 a.m.. TWS is on 6 8 miles east of College Station for those of you that can't stand to miss the best of the best in action and admission is free.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Paul. We are ALL watching the Board for info... GOOD LUCK to ALL the Racers! Have a great time!!

CBR Crazed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul,Thanks for the info, read the post, got up and drove out there. There was some real exciting action. I got there just as they started the first race at about 11:30. I have to agree with Paul, if you missed it you really missed out on some great racing.

OP
OP
P

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And the winner is (besides everyone that participated), drum roll please... Bob Woodhouse but he had to earn it! I'll let some one else who has the time sheet post the race results. Next weekend in Ft. Worth is gonna be hot. If you are anywhere near Texas you might want to make plans.

Next time introduce yourself Lance, any fan is a friend. And special thanks to Paul Mumford and Texas's own Dean Word III for getting me off the bench and taking me around a few times.

Anyone who hasn't gotten their Snake out on the track has no idea, repeat, no idea what these cars are capable of. Treat yourself at least once in your life to a driving school with your Viper. Your local VCA probably knows a good venue. Skip's Viper Days got a good group of first timers going this weekend (Ferraris included), these folks now have a whole new world to enjoy. Owning a Viper and not taking it to the track is like having a world class diamond but never wearing it, and what fun is that?

See you in Ft. Worth.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got in from TWS a few minutes ago. The rain clouds rolled in about 4PM and by 4:30 it was flooding. Up til then, we had super weather and lots of action. Numerous "Woodchuck Awards" for the off-trackers, but nobody tore up any cars.

Drumroll please.......

Paul Mumford kicked my butt nine ways from Tuesday. I couldn't believe the times he was laying down until I put my own watch on him, then I still couldn't believe what I saw.
You must be registered for see images
Sincerest congratulations are in order, for he is not of this earth.

Second Place = first loser.
GTS Dean - Team Texas

Reaction score
It was great getting to hang out with the neatest bunch of racin' fools (guys and gals) I've ever run up on!
I spun a bearing (we think, Roy and Joe are working on it now) on my second lap!
of day 1!
But TNT said,... "just bring it over to my house" (Roy was out of town, so I just talked with Sheryl), so I think they'll have me going for the Finals next weekend in Fort Worth.

With that worry out of the way, I just spend the rest of the two days picking the brains ("Evil" Joe Ellis, Bob Woodhouse, Rob Foster, Bruce, Tom, Mumford, John, Bobby & John Archer, Skip, Courtney,et al.. the list goes on and on ....). Great bunch of guys! I wanted to build my skills so I could post some times like Mumford and Dean Word....then I could do the wheel to wheel ting without being in the way!

All the wheel to wheel guys are great! Basically convincing me the only way to start is to jump in and I wouldn't get in the way....so, here goes!
I'm looking at all the race cars for sale, the rules and specifications (heck, they start in late January...not a lot of time!) and Archer Racing is building full out race cars for this series...lot's of choices!

Anyone want to buy a Diablo? (Yellow, 7000 miles, Nov. '98 birthdate!)

dtittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Jeff,

Call Ron Sr. as SVSI! They have a fully prepared bad a$$ race car for sale. It's the one that Jr. used to drive and was always at the front of the pack!

Regards, Tittle

P.S. The event was awesome as everyone has already said. When I get a minute I'll provide some more information.

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what happened? All the local Texans thought they would lay the wood to Mumford. Dean Word, what happened? Just wish I could be out there with you guys. I talked with Mumford and he said it was great fun and evryone was great. Only negative was Marc Schley who slipped and injured his knee. Lets all hope for the best.

Congrats to Woodhouse! Also to Mumford! Looks like the finals will have more beating from these two great drivers. Western Region dominates the prepared class as always! Also great job by Paul Schley beating Ron Hill. Way to go!

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by K Adelberg:
All the local Texans thought they would lay the wood to Mumford. Dean Word, what happened?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I lost steering boost on the second lap of my second session. It took all afternoon Saturday and most of Sunday morning to scrounge up and install (mostly by myself) a used pump and pressure hose. All the new pumps had been snapped up early and Viper techs were booked up with previous requests. Despite a terrible lack of track time, I managed to score a personal best lap at TWS. No excuses, no regrets. I still had a great time!

Hot Rod Sue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with all that’s been said about Viper Days at TWS this past weekend. It was an awesome experience. Some highlights from the weekend for me were:

- The best Viper driving instruction anywhere, period. These drivers are the BEST, and they are willing to share what they know with you. Bob Woodhouse graciously agreed to be a passenger for one of my sessions. He taught me a phenomenal new line on the straightaway that set me up perfectly for turn one.

- The thrills. Going out with Jason in his Viper at speed was fabulous. Turning my Viper into a corner and feeling the torque pull me out was a huge rush! The sensation of the ballet around turns 3 & 4 is still with me today.

- The people. The charismatic Thomas family, the super instructors, the support crews, the wheel to wheel racers, the drivers. The camaraderie is unique and genuine. Everyone is busy smiling, laughing, sharing what they know, and having a blast!

The Finals next weekend should be a great time! If there is a hotel room left up there, Jim and I will be coming.

Reaction score
I want to be the first to thank everyone from Texas for their wonderful hospitality. If you haven't been to a Viper Days event, you're sorely missing out. There's a great group of people always willing to help out.

I personally want to thank Texas' own Bob Cain for instructing me from the first lap to the last. The last lap was my quickest with Bob's help, but Bob's 230lbs of Texas stature put a dent in my lap time. Dean Word did an amazing job to beat some bad-*** Western drivers with very little laps driven due to mechanical difficulties. I know if his car were running all weekend, it would've been a MUCH closer finish.

Everyone should plan on attending at least one Viper Days event early next year, because once you go you'll get hooked.

Reaction score
I want to be the first to thank everyone from Texas for their wonderful hospitality. If you haven't been to a Viper Days event, you're sorely missing out. There's a great group of people always willing to help out.

I personally want to thank Texas' own Bob Cain for instructing me from the first lap to the last. The last lap was my quickest with Bob's help, but Bob's 230lbs of Texas stature put a dent in my lap time. Dean Word did an amazing job to beat some bad-*** Western drivers with very little laps driven due to mechanical difficulties. I know if his car were running all weekend, it would've been a MUCH closer finish.

Everyone should plan on attending at least one Viper Days event early next year, because once you go you'll get hooked.