Viper Days at VOI-8, V-TEN Racing Sweep

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The V-TEN Racing Chronicles written by Tom Wilson

Viper Days at Texas Motor Speedway (VOI-8), September 13-14

V-TEN Racing Sweeps TMS

This is the sixth event of the Eastern Region of Viper Days. We were last at TMS for the 2003 year-end finals where it rained for most of the event. This time we had perfect weather, although hot. The trip for the guys from Hotlanta is easy, I20 West for 9-10 hours. Newt gets respite from a long drive to the track since he lives about two hours from TMS. Newt attended VOI-8 as a vendor. You may have noticed the Viper Logo Pins he was selling that blinked. How could you miss them? Newt was also selling V-TEN Racing Tee Shirts we had made with the support of PartsRack, TeamTech, and Forgeline. Thanks to all who purchased shirts. We still have shirts available if you missed out, smile.

The Track:
+ TMS is the only banked track on the 2004 Viper Days schedule. The sensation of being on the banking at 140 mph plus is incredible. I have a new found respect for the Nextel Cup boys.
+ The track was run counter clockwise and as configured was about 2.2 miles long, I think. We used most of the oval and the entire infield. Stopping for the one chicane and the entrance to the infield took its toll on brakes for a number of participants. Archer Racing Accessories made sure they were back out for the next session. We all run four wheel StopTech big brake systems and had no problems.

Car Prep (Team Secrets, don’t tell other Viper Days Participants):
Changed fluids. Some tips.
+ I installed a differential plug using the instructions in the VCA How To section. Follow the instructions and you will not have a problem. I used Redline 75/90 differential fluid purchased from Bobby Archer Motorsports. The friction modifier is not needed when using Redline. It was easier to order from Bobby versus searching Atlanta. Shipping was less then the gas I would have used and saved time. You will need two quarts.
+ I also changed the transmission fluid. Remove the splash plate, remove drain plug at back of trany, and replace and torque drain plug. Now, here is what made it easy for me to fill the trany. I used about three feet of 3/8th inch tubing with a funnel inserted in one end, ran the other end of the tube down close to the firewall into the fill hole in the trany (front top drivers side of the trany). After filling with four quarts of Redline D-4 ATF and resealing the fill plug the service was done. Ok, so I don’t count putting the splashguard back on as part of the service.
+ On the track the car shifted much smoother. I did not miss a shift in the two days, ok one. That one was at the end of the front straight at 100 mph when I went from 4th to 1st. That is why I always release the clutch slowly so I can hear the revs. No damage. Clutch back in. Now where is 3rd? Oh, too late, how about 2nd. That’s the ticket. Not one of my best laps.

The Weekend (ok, not the weekend):
Monday, at the track by 7am and do some minor maintenance like air, over fill my oil (just kidding), new batteries for Hot Lap Timer, etc. The temps were warm with 1,000% (not a typo) humidity. I thought Dallas was dry heat. Are we in Houston and I don’t know it? I have new tires and Forgeline VRL wheels. Wow do these things stick. Less push in slow turns. Our times were respectable with each of us leading our groups at the end of the day. My competition, Jim Garret, was saving his best for Tuesday. The last time we ran together he beat me on the last run on the last day. Sandbagger. In Newt’s case, perennial Viper Days contender Nancy Stein was nipping at Newt’s heals. Data acquisition, Nancy, how could you. Not fair.

Tuesday. Weather is more of the same. Our best runs would likely be in the morning, so you would think. At the end of session two Eyal and myself would have run our best times. Newt on the other hand would need a better time in the afternoon. You see, Ms. Stein put down a 1.39.299 lap, almost a second quicker then her previous best and took the Modified lead from Newt by about 0.75 seconds. Newt needs to step it up and now. We all go out for the third session together. I make it to the first banked turn at about 50 mph when the steering wheel begins to shake violently. I drive around to the pits and park it for the session. It seems that I lost all of the wheel weights even though I always tap them. This gave me an opportunity to watch Newt and Eyal from the infield and enjoyed every minute. Several times during the session Eyal was several turns from Newt. It was apparent that Newt was pulling him and would have some good times. Was it enough?

Our Results:
V-TEN Sweep (second time in five events entered)
+ Newt, first in Modified with a 1:39.110 (6 of 32 Challenge Series Drivers). Newt held off a hard charging Nancy Stein with her best being the 1:39.299. After the third session on Tuesday, Nancy was the first to find Newt and congratulate him. Nancy is truly a class act and a good friend of V-TEN Racing and so is her better half, Don Cochran. In the points, Newt has slipped to 2nd behind you know who by one point. It has paid dividends for Nancy to attend all six events. The last event that will decide who wins the Eastern Region for Viper Days is in three weeks at Newt’s home track, Texas Motorsport Ranch. Both Nancy and Newt have already done the math. Newt will need a solid victory over Nancy if he is to win the Modified title. Can you say down to the wire?
+ Eyal, first in Prepared with a 1:41.085 (10 of 32 Challenge Series Drivers). Eyal remains in second in the points behind Ray Moore. Eyal must win TMS to win the Prepared title.
+ Tom, first in Super Stock with a 1:40.854 (9 of 32 Challenge Series Drivers). Jim Garrett never mounted a charge. He must be waiting for Motorsport Ranch. I have now clinched the Eastern Region Super Stock title and look forward to MSR and the finals.

We want to continue to thank JonB at PartsRack.com. We also want to thank TeamTech and Forgeline for help in producing V-TEN Racing shirts.

See everybody at Motorsport Ranch next week!

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I now know who I will be duking it out with for the Super Stock National Title next month. Should be a great time at Hallett :)

Pictureman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Tom
We bought several of those flashing pens from Newt at the VOI, pretty cool. I finally took the Bumblebee out on the track at TMS during the VOI. I can see why you guys have so much fun now. I think I hit around 150mph but my speedometer only registered 115, I think I need to have it checked out. I'll try to make it to the finals if you promise is won't rain this time.
Tim

JoeB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I now know who I will be duking it out with for the Super Stock National Title next month. Should be a great time at Hallett :)

Do you still remember how to drive that car on street tires? Will the west win?

Joe B

OP
OP
T

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will be lots of fun. Tim, pictures at the finals would be great. I promice to buy pictures this time! Rain, no way!

If I can be within 5 seconds of the West Coast boys I will be happy, smile.

Tom

JoeB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
... Now send those West coast weenies home crying!!!

Looks like the East still needs a little work in the Prepared and S Stock class's among others for the finals this year. Our TWS times from last year still unbeaten. Last year only one car from the West was represented in the Modified class.
Looks like another West Coast sweep! We will be sending the east coasters home whinning like wimpering puppies that lost there milk bones.

Seat time, seat time, seat time

Maybe next year I'll break out the street car and compete again. Go West young man, Go West!

Joe B

JGarrett

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ah all the smack begins....

Tom you and the boys did a nice job once again at TMS and it was great to see you guys.
I'll look forward to seeing the wrong coast folks at MSR and Hallett. The *****, The Damn Turn and the Stop Sign backwards hmmm maybe I'll spend half the time laughing watching all the offs from the stands. Remember guys an off in 1 clockwise means you're stuck in the septic tank field. HEEHEE

Cheers

Jim

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the smack, I will have to make certain to meet and put a face with a screen name of all our left coast friends. It will be great fun to see all of you. Finals is just around the corner - looking forward to finishing the season strong!

OP
OP
T

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beacuse of the 95 degree heat this year versus overcast and 75 degrees when the track finally dried out might have a small impact on times between years. Ya think?

Make sure to stop by the V-TEN Racing pits for the East vs. West Coast Party. I will be serving CA Wine.

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Greenberg supplies the cheese with the wine, which region will he represent since he runs in both?

JoeB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Greenberg supplies the cheese with the wine, which region will he represent since he runs in both?

You want him, you got him. We will send him East. Nothing like bring a Bazooka to a street fight. :ooo:

Seems all the fast drivers come from Kalifornia anyhow---a few from Arizona.

Hallet will be fun, since (supposedly none of us has ran it before)

It a battle brewing!

Joe B

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
None of us at V-TEN have run the track either, should be fun for all. Hopefully the East will show the West how it is done.

I don't like Jim's comment about the septic tank field at turn one though....

It's one thing to go on an off track excursion because your driving stinks, it's a whole other matter to actually stink when you come back into the pits.

OP
OP
T

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bring some good (read affordable) CA wine and we will supply the cigars! Lets have some fun. Oh, and I would not think that the track is new to all from the West!

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe B - big talker since the General Lee retired... :)

We've run Hallett before - Finals in 2000? Can't remember for sure which year. Hopefully it's been resurfaced. Should be an interesting place to try to pass if I remember correctly.

Looking forward to the final 2 events for 2004!!!!

See you guys there.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, Don retired. Not necessarily The General.

We're trying to pry him to at least make Finals, but it's a longshot. I'll fill you in more this weekend.

Can't wait!

OP
OP
T

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Red always! Even if I am slow I plan to enjoy the weekend with new friends, wine, and cigars.

JGarrett

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Janni,

The pavement was "re-oiled" about 6 weeks or so ago on all the straights. So it should be well soaked in by the time we get there.

Cheers,
Jim

JoeB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe B - big talker since the General Lee retired... :)

We've run Hallett before - Finals in 2000? Can't remember for sure which year. Hopefully it's been resurfaced. Should be an interesting place to try to pass if I remember correctly.

Looking forward to the final 2 events for 2004!!!!

See you guys there.

Ouch!!! now that hurts. Ya know I want the competition, Don can't retire. I believe the finals were ran clockwise in 2000 and Skip had mentioned that we will be running Counterclockwise so that its even and nobody has run this configuration before. I could be wrong--Texas is as far as I have ever gone east, Hell I gotta get out my map and find Oklahoma--Why would anybody even go to Oklahoma, other than to race?

Tell Don I'll bring him a nice Chardonnay, I live 45 minutes south of Napa, if he shows up to race.... Go easy on me, I'm a rookie.

Joe B--

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang