http://www.autonews.com/toc.cms

For those dealers -
crying.gif
laugh.gif

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \"Viper deal miffs dealers\"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Viper Wizard:
E-mail me your fax # and I'll fax you a copy!
[email protected]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

that sounds like a lot of work!! is your right mouse button broken?? copy and paste!
smile.gif

- eddie -

OP
OP
V

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eddie N:
that sounds like a lot of work!! is your right mouse button broken?? copy and paste!
smile.gif

- eddie -
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's a right button?
Last week I couldn't spell mer-can-ick now i are one?

MiamiJeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Viper deal miffs dealers
Dodge pre-sells all '03s, and retailers bemoan lost profits
By Diana T. Kurylko
Automotive News / October 14, 2002

DETROIT -- In a marketing goof that Dodge dealers say has robbed them of thousands of dollars in potential profits, the Chrysler group has pre-sold all 1,500 '03 Vipers by giving existing owners the exclusive rights to buy one.

The pre-sale late last year offered about 10,000 Viper owners a certificate guaranteeing them the right to purchase the 2003 model, the more powerful SRT-10 convertible. The 1,500 certificates were gobbled up within two weeks.

The action has hammered down transaction prices for the redesigned Viper by creating a closed, buyer's market for the supercar. Because buyers know that dealers can't sell to anyone not holding an official certificate, many are demanding prices barely over dealer invoice for a car that typically would generate at least a $7,000 profit.

The SRT-10 has a sticker price of $80,795, including destination. Dealers buy the car from the Chrysler group for at least $7,000 less.

"They prostituted the whole distribution system with this deal," said Ken Zangara, chairman of the Dodge dealer advisory council and owner of Zangara Dodge in Albuquerque, N.M. "This program circumvents the dealership, although I suppose they claim it's legal because we're going to do the vehicle delivery."

'It's not fair'

Jim Arrigo, whose Arrigo Dodge in West Palm Beach, Fla., sold about 16 Vipers a month when the previous model was hot, says he has decided not to sell the 2003 model at all.

"I don't want to be in the position of saying to a customer, 'No, I won't sell you a Viper at that price,' " Arrigo said. "This program isn't fair to us dealers. It's not fair making me get into a bidding war with the dealer down the street."

Some dealers charge that the certificates also are being traded in an unauthorized secondary market on the Web.

"The people with the vouchers (certificates) see this as a chance to make a profit. They want to make my profit, and Chrysler set this up," said Tom Moser, owner of Moser Dodge in Cincinnati, which sells two Vipers a year.

Dan Fitzgerald, owner of Fitzgerald Dodge in Laconia, N.H., says he has seen the vouchers sold on eBay for up to $10,000.

"And that's just the right to buy a Viper, not a vehicle. No one has been delivered a Viper yet," said Fitzgerald, who has sold some 1,300 units since the car's 1992 launch.

"It's bad enough that in 2001 and 2002, with people knowing the new model was coming, I made only as much on a Viper as I did on a Neon. Along comes the 2003 model, and some people think we'll start to give away cars."

Dodge policing program

Jim Julow, Chrysler group vice president of motorsports and SRT marketing, said the program was intended to reward loyal customers, not harm dealers.

"We wanted to offer it (the SRT-10 Viper) to our most ardent supporters first," said Julow, who created the program last year as head of Dodge marketing.

Julow admitted that the certificate program has caused ill will among dealers, but said most wouldn't be eligible to receive the '03 Viper anyway. Because vehicle allocations are based on sales volume, "fewer than 500 dealers out of 2,984" would get the new Viper in the first place, he said.

To avoid speculation in the certificates, Julow said, Dodge "purified the list in late June and contacted every owner" and will continue to make sure that certificate holders are the ones taking delivery.

About 300 of the 1,490 orders placed have been scheduled for delivery, he said. The first cars should be going to owners within a few weeks.

But Wes Lutz, owner of Extreme Dodge & Dodge Truck, a standalone Dodge dealership in Jackson, Mich., said the certificate program has robbed him of the first hot vehicle the franchise has had in years.

"As a dealer, it's devastating to me. There is a great demand for that car, and there is no availability," he said. "I have two longtime Dodge customers who don't own a Viper and want the new car, and I have to tell them 'I can't get you a car.' "

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"They prostituted the whole distribution system with this deal," said Ken Zangara, chairman of the Dodge dealer advisory council and owner of Zangara Dodge in Albuquerque, N.M. "This program circumvents the dealership, although I suppose they claim it's legal because we're going to do the vehicle delivery."

Boo F-ing Hoo ! Just once the greedy dealers have to take it
up the *****. Dodge did a good thing for loyal customers and
dealers can go back to their old tricks next year. All whiners
now can move to the rear of the 2004 list.

Jim Arrigo, whose Arrigo Dodge in West Palm Beach, Fla., sold about 16 Vipers a month when the previous model was hot, says he has decided not to sell the 2003 model at all.

I'm still waiting for the 1998 Silver RT/10 I ordered from this
guy. But my good friend let's me ride in it occasionally. I am
glad you won't be selling any 2003's. People should get the cars
they order.

My feelings don't apply to all dealers just the majority.

Just my personal opinion.

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I cry a river for these poor dealers.
laughing2[1].gif
The local dealers were all gouging the daylights out of us in Washington, often tacking $8k or more on top of the sticker price. ("Adjusted Market Value"- apparently you can charge a sphincter-stretching amount when you dealership is in the shadow of Microsoft stock options.) &lt;insert bent-over smiley here&gt; I have no loyalty for such dealerships and their idea of "customer relations".

I do feel a great deal of love for a very Dodge humble dealership in Nebraska. Bill, you are the best!

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My thoughts exactly Tom! I get Automotive News and couldn't believe the whining by dealers. Dealers never feel bad about charging "market" price (gouging!) when a product is hot. Most recently in our arena was Chrylser dealers with PT Cruisers. They killed LOTS of people on that car then let those same people try to trade that same car in today. DC basically protected us with the certificates from price gouging and short supply and dealers are just upset because they can't **** us this time.
BOO HOO!

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Absolutely! Screw these guys. I have to bring up my experience in buying my 97, I called my local dealer in Dallas (and he knows who he is) and they wanted to sell me a new 97 for $125k. I balked, and said list was 72, he said "I can get that, that's all I'm willing to sell it for".

Well bought it outta state for 2500 over invoice.

WHat's that idiot "I shouldn't have to compete with the dealer down the street" B*LLSh*T you shouldn't.

Buncha jerks, makes you think Dodge should wipe the dealerships off the map and just turn them into for profit service stations.

That's not fair to the awesome people like Woodhouse, etc., which is my point, they should be just as outraged as us, as they are in it for the long haul, not the short term crap these idiots are thinking.

Tell you what, I wouldn't be buying an SRT (sight unseen, never driven, no reviews, etc.) at market price (10-20k+MSRP), so while the dealers may ***** , Dodge woulda lost sales ( I think).

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score

With few exceptions, the dealer expereince is the WORST part of owning a Dodge. All of my friends with lesser-priced Porsches, Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, and even the comparably-priced Maserati are treated like royalty every time they step into the dealer. Their cars are washed and immaculate when picked up.

I have, more than once, picked up my Viper after service to find it dirtier than I delivered it and - far worse - left with caked-on bird droppings that scarred the clear coat. If the Viper weren't so awesome and I had not found a good dealer, I would be in an upscale luxury make.

The better Dodge dealers don't belly-ache about this, they jump aboard to build good will and sell more cars (Viper and other) to the loyal customers they earn via solid dealing and word-of-mouth.

And the Viper sold itself; ergo the BUYERS, not the dealers deserve the reward of bing first in line for the new car.

FWIW,

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Viper is a "Boutique" car. Very small volume and many Dodge Dealers never see even one to sell. Some of the Dealers may get only a couple to sell (where talking new) so they are not exactly supporting the Payroll with those few sales. They make their $ selling lots of the other models and in the back.(service) So it is no surprise that when a Dealer sells his one or two Vipers that he does not strike up the band and invite you to his house for dinner! Now I absoulutly agree that they should deliver the car properly and service it properly but for many of them your just another customer.
When I pulled into a Dodge Dealer that I had not been to before for service he told me to get out of the line I was in and put the car "over there" on the side. I thought, wow, he really cares about my Viper and does not want it to mix with those lowly trucks!. Wrong! I found out that they were more concerned that somehow the Viper might get whacked by one of those lowly trucks and did not want the Liability being as it was going to be in their care. Actually, thats a good thing for me also, but when the car went in for service, it came out with the grease stains and the skewed carpets, etc. Never went back. You guys are right that the "weak link" with Dodge is the quality of their Service. Before I buy any toys I check out the Service/support and if it is not there to my liking I take my money elsewhere. Fourtunatly I have a good Dealer where I live although the Viper has not needed much service so I have not really tested them but they seem to be "Viper Oriented". I don,t care how much you think you love and want that car, boat, airplane,etc if the service/support is not there you will be one dissapointed soul and could wind up hating the very thing you thought you loved!!

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Lets not forget the flip side. The certs help small local dealers, not the **** dealer. The small town dealer I have ordered through offered me the 500 over deal without asking. Without my cert they would not have had a chance at bringing in an SRT. The car will set on their floor for a few weeks as a draw as thanks. Maybe next year they can get another.

SCS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Boy that article just breaks my heart...I feel so bad that I won't be footing the bill for a dealers European vacation this year...Fact is these guys are pissed because they're used to raking the customer over the coals and they lost that ability this time around...Hell my son just went and bought his first new car on his own and they took full advantage of the fact that he didn't know what he was doing...

MiamiJeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score

With the exception of several of the high grade dealer-sponsors of this VCA posting board, most car dealer's will try to nail you in the asp everytime.

This story might explain
why the Dodge Dealer Council fought against giving discounted financing to 2003 Viper buyers???

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Rich_01GTS;

I posted about this depreciation thing about three months ago when I decided to sell my beautiful Yellow RT-10. I knew in my gut that the SRT's wouldn't really start arriving until the snow was coming. I decided to sell a great car during good weather when there was still a good market. The dealers WILL get their profit because of the number and timing of trade-ins in my opinion. If your dealer sold 4 SRT's, I bet at least 2 will trade in considering this economy. The trade-in value could be (probably IMHO) 3-5K less than people had hoped for. What dealer wants to be sitting on say, 3 used Vipers when he needs all wheel drive Caravans and trucks? That was why I sold, and I sold my Viper CHEAP in order to avoid a bigger loss at trade-in during winter. My Viper had 6K on the ODO and I sold it for 55K cash. He is happy, and I am relieved.

On the BRIGHT side; think of all of the great bargain priced Vipers that will be available during the winter months! Now, the bargaining power is with the BUYERS! Come April, people will wish they bought that used Viper of their dreams before spring. What a great time to buy that RT or GTS to mod and race!

As a loyal Viper owner, this is just my opinion. I think the market for used genII will probably really start to climb back this spring based on the value and the love of the original styling.

I can't wait for my SRT!

Jim

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Every week I peruse the "for sale" adds in AutoWeek for used Vipers. Used to be a lot. Now, just a few. Maybe the price will not drop much, if at all.

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I read the "Automotive News" article when it was released last week. As I was reading it, it dawned on me that the only thing that ****** the dealers off is that they don't have the chance to screw the loyal Viper Nation that Dodge is so careful to take care of. In general, the dealers could care less about us and only want to tack as much on to the price of each car as possible. With the exception of Woodhouse, these guys are animals. I agree that the WORST part of owning a Viper is having to deal with the dealership. I brought my car in before VOI 7 for a brake flush. They charged me $260 to flush the fluid and then didn't really do it. They siphoned the reservoir out and refilled it with clean fluid to make it look like it had been done. When Archer re-bled the system at the track, all the fluid that was in the lines was dark and old. When I reported it to the service director, he told me to get lost. This is the same dealership that "threw away" my stock throttle bodies when I put oversized ones on. Now I can't go back to the stock bodies (I want to). They have also tried to get out of performing the recall work because they said that it is more work that DC pays them for. I stopped going to this Miami dealership and will try another one. If Vipers broke as much as many sports cars, we'd all be screwed.
Thank you Daimler Chrysler for having the insight and b*lls to do the right thing for us.
And hats off to Bob Woodhouse and Bill Pemberton for being stand up guys.

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Russ: Was that Marroney Dodge? They used to be preety good?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nutritionkgzexoti