Viper Dyno Results

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a chance to dyno the G5 this weekend at National Trails raceway. I did two pulls and both were basically 510. Dynojet type dyno's are very repeatable, even across multiple locations and different operators. However, there are very few things that can cause an error. The typical error is usually:

1. The wrong correction factor, the SAE correction factor is the one to use. If you use the STD factor, the HP will be 2.7% higher than SAE. Take a look in the upper right corner of the printout, that will show the correction factor. In this case they used the right factor.

2. Environmental input. The Dynojet has three sensors, temp, atmospheric pressure and humidity. In general, the humidity has the most effect when viewing the typical range of inputs. In this case their hygrometer showed an input of 40 % humidity. This was during a six hour cycle of continual rain. The humidity was probably 100%. The dew point was over 75 degrees. The atmospheric pressure was also off, but, no where close to the error on the humidity.

These input errors probably created a HP number that was a minimum of 2% lower than actual HP. In my opinion, if you dyno your car on a Dynojet always ask for the DRF file or at least the data export file. The Dynojet viewer software is free and gives you the same graphical abilities that the dyno operator has.

3. The amount of smoothing used can typically increase/decrease the HP number. When I dyno'ed there was actually a contest going on. I believe over 30 cars were in the process of dynoing. To make everything easy the dyno operator had set up a "Smoothing Factor" of 5, that is max. This normally drops the overall HP of a dyno pull.

One last item about the Dynojet, it they use the factory a/f system logging software, the A/F normally reads leaner than actual. Even when the operator turns a/f smoothing off, it is not truly off. i have seen as much as 1 point diff at high rpms when you log in parallel with a high quality O2 sensor/system.

In summary, I was fairly happy with the 510 HP, that was probably 3-4% lower than actual due to the dyno's environmental input errors. I am guessing that the true HP on this day was in the range of 525-535. This is further supported by the car's MPH in the quarter. I had back-back 125-126 mph trap speeds with a Density Altitude (DA) of 3000. I will do a write up tomorrow about the details of the drag racing the G5.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2000 miles and in 4th gear. It was sort of funny they were interviewing each car owner and then video taping the interview. They asked what the mileage was and I told them 20.

How many miles on the car?

Did you dyno in 3rd gear? :D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you get the codes,etc all squared away? I hear ya on the details, but 510 is a little ouch.

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the biggest problem! POWER?? Where is it? My gen4 made 540rwhp stock. My wifes M5 made 525rwhp uncorrected and completely stock on a dynojet saturday in 90+ degree heat. It made 636rwhp corrected. These engines are amazing. I wish these were in the current viper, then I wouldnt have cancelled my order. I had a beautiful white one with red interior all spec. Hopefully they will come out with something in 2015 with a power jump. Im a viper lover, BTW

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the biggest problem! POWER?? Where is it? My gen4 made 540rwhp stock.

Here is an interesting one http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/609643-2008-Viper-Dyno-Test-542rwhp?highlight=dyno+day+2008

I just went back through TONS of old dyno posts/threads and indeed the GenIV's put out an average of 535ish rwhp plus (Dyno Jet)

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/21/dodge-viper-acr-on-dyno-more-power-than-advertised/

Seems the Gen 4 was way underated and the Gen 5 is what it is..

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put the G5 on the same dyno and it will show more HP than the G4. Very few G4's have been in the 10's or trapped 130. That does not make them a bad car, I am just stating fact. You will see the G5's trapping over 130 in the fall.

This is the biggest problem! POWER?? Where is it? My gen4 made 540rwhp stock. My wifes M5 made 525rwhp uncorrected and completely stock on a dynojet saturday in 90+ degree heat. It made 636rwhp corrected. These engines are amazing. I wish these were in the current viper, then I wouldnt have cancelled my order. I had a beautiful white one with red interior all spec. Hopefully they will come out with something in 2015 with a power jump. Im a viper lover, BTW

Last edited:

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the way the g5 looks. I just want more power. When that occurs, I will order my 7th viper.

For all the people ignoring, that's fine, I understand. However, I just bought the m5 in June for what I could have paid for a viper. Btw, the great thing about turbos at attitude is you lose little to no power. A gen5 with 535 whp will make an uncorrected 439rwhp. That's why I have a trio of turbo cars :)

The g5 should b in the 10's no doubt. I hope you make it there. I hope mopar comes out with a package covered under factory warranty that makes 700, I would b all over it. Good luck in your qwest.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of you guys keep forgetting that a car with 3.55 gears will dyno less than the same car with 3.07 gears. But, the 3.55 geared car will accelerate quicker. So which is it, do you want dyno numbers - or quicker acceleration?

OP
OP
J

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The complainers don't care.

Some of you guys keep forgetting that a car with 3.55 gears will dyno less than the same car with 3.07 gears. But, the 3.55 geared car will accelerate quicker. So which is it, do you want dyno numbers - or quicker acceleration?

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dyno queen or track king? Hmmmm........ Think I'll Photo chop my dyno slip for the best of both worlds. ;)

OP
OP
J

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is interesting that all the magazines totally ignore the 60' time. When you see a 1/4 mile ET it is meaningless to assume anything about power unless you also know the 60' time.

I love talking 60' with other car guys. I avoid talking 0-60 with magazine racers.

Ev1E9

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bingo!!!!!!

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The major magazines don't even drag race at a drag strip. They use private roads and big parking lots, with the VBOX or fancy version of a G-Tech. Pretty lame. I really wish they'd get away from the whole 60 mph benchmark stuff, that was started when a "fast" car ran 14s in the 1/4-mile. It really should be 0-100 mph, since even the econocars and minivans can reach 100 nowadays.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456