Viper engine details released.

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
chiefchad:3011101 said:
8.7 litres, with more torque and horsepower? I'm happy with that news..... but did you just hear the loud collective "ker-thunk" of our current Vipers dropping $5,000-$10,000 in value?
I disagree, the better the current model the more value earlier generations of that car have. More HP / performance/ upgrades/ redesigns means more interest in the car. There are always exceptions but not in the Vipers case.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before everyone sets their own pants on fire here, what confirmation has there been that the data from Allpar is correct? It seems to me that with some of the technology that became available from Fiat, it would not have been difficult to reliably bump the power up from 600 to 660 - 700 without any need for more cubic inches. Until I see a confirmation from Dodge, I will not believe the data.

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good point ! Its all speculation until its officially confirmed. :)

Looking forward to the Release Date . :2tu:

OP
OP
K

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well Allpar has been reliable for everything else they post in their newsfeed. If they say they have an inside source, I'm inclined to believe it's true.

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At this point I don't believe any speculation until it comes from Dodge, but that would be awesome. Hope it's true!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
8.7 litres, with more torque and horsepower? I'm happy with that news..... but did you just hear the loud collective "ker-thunk" of our current Vipers dropping $5,000-$10,000 in value?

How does a new models introduction drop the value of older ones?
Everybody here going to run out and put down 100K + for a Gen 5 so they'll be a glut of older ones.
In this economy? Lol...no way.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes people will, in this economy the only thing selling is total el-cheapo crap or top of the line products. If the new Viper is totally over the top in terms of styling, performance, etc, it will sell very well regardless of the price. If Dodge builds 2500 units the first year, in a world-wide market that would sell out very fast. The key is to have something that your neighbor doesn't have and will kick the a$$ of anything he does have.

I was at a EuroSunday event this weekend where I met one guy that already had the new Lambo Aventador on order and was waiting for its delivery.....he drove to the event in his Mercedes SLR McLaren. The money is out there, the key is to make something that those that have it want to buy.

If the engine is a bigger displacement unit, it may be done to get better mileage. If the Viper gets some sort of variable cylinder cut off, then with more cubes it can stay in 5 cylinder mode longer since it has enough cubic inches to pull highway speeds, mild acceleratin, etc with no problem. A SRT engineer explained to me that was one of the biggest reasons the new SRT V-8 gets better mileage.....more cubic inches allows it to stay in 4 cylinder mode longer.

Cheers,
George

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
5 cylinder mode does not make sense to me. Wouldn't it be some variation of 4-6-8-10?

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will wait and see. I wouldn't mind having a 8.7L V-10 from the factory making 700hp. A set of headers, exhaust, intake and tune would easily pick up another 100hp. I think if Dodge were to let SCT or some other company make a after market tuner for the car, you would see more cars sell....why, most of us like to mod our cars. It sure would make the Viper easier to add turbos or Superchargers to.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will wait and see. I wouldn't mind having a 8.7L V-10 from the factory making 700hp. A set of headers, exhaust, intake and tune would easily pick up another 100hp. I think if Dodge were to let SCT or some other company make a after market tuner for the car, you would see more cars sell....why, most of us like to mod our cars. It sure would make the Viper easier to add turbos or Superchargers to.

I disagree, that enabling the aftermarket would help sell cars. Most people that buy serious performance cars don't know or care or understand anything about tuning or moding. They have deep pockets that get the job done. I think it would be cool, but Dodge isn't marketing the car towards poor guys like me that like to wrench on their cars.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With an engine of that size, it could run on variable displacement with just one cylinder engaged at a time : >) (A joke...not serious...just kidding).

But seriously, I see the day when technology advances to the point that engines could be run on any variety of cylinders, with additional cyl's engaged depending on throttle position.

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I disagree, that enabling the aftermarket would help sell cars. Most people that buy serious performance cars don't know or care or understand anything about tuning or moding. They have deep pockets that get the job done. I think it would be cool, but Dodge isn't marketing the car towards poor guys like me that like to wrench on their cars.

How many Gen 4 owners wish they could do a twin turbo kit. Also, think how much more power under the curve (and peak for that matter) if you could adjust that cam-in-cam setup. For many people, they don't wrench on there car, they pay tuners to do it. That's what keeps guys like DC and VS in business. It sure isn't for oil changes. I know lots of guys who go away the Viper and into a Vette because of the lack of aftermarket support. I for one, almost went to the C6Zo6 for the same reason. I only chose the Viper because I see 30+ vettes a day.

If Dodge/Team Viper/SRT wants the Viper program to sell more cars, they need to give the Aftermarket the tools to help them. ECU tuning would be a big deal.

Last edited:

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sure has caused some buzz though! I don't think we can read much into this except its most likely not a V8 Forced induction. Fingers crossed for 8.7 Direct Injection, that could put down serious numbers... Please don't be 650, 700 seems to be the new elite club...

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All par may have the tech info right but they are not even close with the GenV rendering!

WHEW!!!!! I'm so glad it's NOT close to what we will see. That rendering is hardly worthy of the hype I've heard from those that saw the early reveal.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A set of headers, exhaust, intake and tune would easily pick up another 100hp.

Easily? A Gen2 & 3 make like 60hp with boltons&tune. I dont think 100hp would come "easy" on a Gen4or5.

I think if Dodge were to let SCT or some other company make a after market tuner for the car, you would see more cars sell....why, most of us like to mod our cars. It sure would make the Viper easier to add turbos or Superchargers to.

You & a handfull of others on these forums are not "most of us". Most of us is ALL viper owners. Of which a very small percentage give a crap about a tune let alone a TT system. A Very large percentage(possibly the majority) of sportscar owners are perfectly content with "Bone Stock".

How many Gen 4 owners wish they could do a twin turbo kit.

about 5 percent.

and the smart guys With $$$ simply have a Gen3TT with a Gen4 hood. Or a Gen2 TT for that matter.

Also, think how much more power under the curve (and peak for that matter) if you could adjust that cam-in-cam setup.

How about you chime in @ the next SRT engineer's chat session and ask them how much power they are planning to leave on the table with the Gen5 motor.

I know lots of guys who go away the Viper and into a Vette because of the lack of aftermarket support.

alot? that must be an overstatement. If not, you should start hanging out with roadracing guys, Not straightlineracers. We acknowledge the the superiority of the Gen4 ACR.

I for one, almost went to the C6Zo6 for the same reason. I only chose the Viper because I see 30+ vettes a day.

Why didnt you just get a Vette and put a body kit on her and give a custom paintjob. That would be unique...

PS78

Enthusiast
Reaction score
isn't the G5 heading back to Le Mans? is the engine size limited to 8L @ LM (...why the Viper hasn't run @ LM since the G3 came along)??? how much heavier, % wise, would a 10L block be over the 8L or 8.4L blocks?

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With an engine of that size, it could run on variable displacement with just one cylinder engaged at a time : >) (A joke...not serious...just kidding).

But seriously, I see the day when technology advances to the point that engines could be run on any variety of cylinders, with additional cyl's engaged depending on throttle position.

Like the Bugatti, have a separate key or switch to kick in the other half of the power.

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like the Bugatti, have a separate key or switch to kick in the other half of the power.

Or like the C4 ZR-1. It had a Valet key in case someone couldn't handle the 375HP. The key could lock it down to 250HP. It's amazing how far we have come over the years.

~Jay

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well Allpar has been reliable for everything else they post in their newsfeed. If they say they have an inside source, I'm inclined to believe it's true.

I thought the VCA had an "inside source". He even posts here occasionally, or his wife does.

How can we believe Allpar has an inside source that is willing to leak reliable information?