Viper Funeral

acrdakota

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You went from 3-2 at 69mph on accident. Why didn't you just put your foot to the floor and drive out of it. The car will easily break 70 in 2nd and its much easier to drive through rear wheel spin than lockup.

Oh yeah, that's what you should do when your car rearend locks up at 69 mph on the highway. Floor it! LOL. And if that doesn't work, hit the 200 shot NOS button!

If he was just getting on the fwy, then sure why not. Rather than spin/flip the car at least try to make the car drive through it. Rolling wheels are controllable, locked up wheels are about as useful as driving w/o tires.

Matthew Klinger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First time I layed on my car I missed third. Luckly I was on a straight away, tires buckled and I got right on the clutch. Can anyone point me to pictures or post pictures of these shifts? maybe the 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th positions.

Sorry about the accident, they all are unfortunate. As posted before all was not lost you were able to walk away and the insurance will compensate you to a degree. Best of luck with what you decide to do next.

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the 3-2 "upshift" the first night I had the car. That did a nice job of scaring the hell out of me.

The car may be gone, but at least you are still around.

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this a typical issue with only stock shifters? More of a GEN I or II issue? I put a B&M in my GEN I, does it help?

A short shifter will help. I could see it helping the later GenII cars more as they seem to have a taller shifter with the ball on top and a longer throw. The GenI cars and earlier GenII cars had the shorter shifter and knob.

I simply replaced the shift knob with an MGW first strike knob and it is great. Nice, short shift. Also, remembering to keep my elbow out has really helped me. Definitely helps to reduce the tendancy to pull the shifter towards you as you're shifting to 4th.

OP
OP
P

PURE XTC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Viper Funeral

I had a B&M Rip shifter in the car. I turned my head to check traffic and when I saw that no one was coming I shifted into 4th, I mean 2nd. The clutch went back in immedately but it was to late. I keep replaying it in my head. It happened soo fast.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is this a typical issue with only stock shifters? More of a GEN I or II issue? I put a B&M in my GEN I, does it help?

A short shifter will help. I could see it helping the later GenII cars more as they seem to have a taller shifter with the ball on top and a longer throw. The GenI cars and earlier GenII cars had the shorter shifter and knob.

The B&M "Ripper" shifter seems to be a hit with the Gen II crowd, but I wasn't as impressed with it on my previous Gen 1 car. I replaced my stock shifter after it came apart at the isolation bushing (which is not uncommon), yet I found myself missing more shifts than before - perhaps I was just too used to the stock shifter, after something like 50k miles?

On my Gen II, I just cut the shaft down 1.5" and had it re-threaded, and I've been very happy with the throw over the stock WAAAAAY-too-tall-height. HOWEVER, I'm less than impressed with the transmission "feel" over my Gen 1 car - it gets fairly hard to shift when it gets hot, etc. My Viper tech reports this is because Dodge changed the insides of the tranny between my '95 and my '00, which accounts for the mushy/stiff feel of the newer trannies. No idea if he was completely understanding my complaint, though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960