Viper gas pedals are terrible, anybody have a solution...

FlyBryViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The gas pedal assembly looks like it is right out of a mini van! Cheap, flimsy plastic pedal seembly attached to a decent but flimsy aluminum rod.
Anybody have a proper solution before I re-engineer this thing?

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes ..Autovation pedals..great looking functional..

4718010_10-med.jpg

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's an interesting article about the Viper gas pedal.

Viper Gas Pedal

I have 95% of the kit together and waiting on the adjustment knobs that change the height of the gas pedal independantly.

The pedals in the article are discontinued. The adjustment knob was also improved. (but taking forever to get some made in quanity)

These are the pedals that I found to work with the adapter. Other pedals would work, but you would have to custom drill and mount to the adapter yourself.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who makes the top pedals?
Are you going to be selling the kit?

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jr.

Terrific article! I've got it saved somewhere at home already but a second copy is even better!

Thanks again!

Jay K.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a solution to changing the angle of the gas pedal?

I realize the reason for the offset angle but feel I could heel/toe better (like I can in my SRT) if it were parallel with the other pedals.

Perhaps just bending it with a pipe wrench...just seems a little crude.

OP
OP
F

FlyBryViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are the Autovation pedals just covers, or do they include a new throttle assembly?
I already have Sparco Aluminum pedal covers, they bolt to the stock arms and throttle pedal assembly. It is the stock throttle pedal assembly that is a piece of junk! Obviously, I want to keep the aluminum throttle arm, and bolt-on a new throttle pedal assembly, then bolt-on my Sparco pedal cover.
Jr. are you selling the throttle pedal hinge/block you made sperately? I can fab. my Sparco cover onto it.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For Gen 1 you can raise the gas pedal to match the brake pedal height by pulling the ball end of the gas pedal cable and putting something around the cable so it won't recede as far and consequently the pedal cannot fall back as far.

OP
OP
F

FlyBryViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Again guys, I am NOT looking for pedal covers. I am looking for a better throttle pedal assembly. I have Sparco pedal cover. Is ther a better throttle pedal assembly?

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For Gen 1 you can raise the gas pedal to match the brake pedal height by pulling the ball end of the gas pedal cable and putting something around the cable so it won't recede as far and consequently the pedal cannot fall back as far.

Tom,
I was thinking of doing that exact thing, but was worried that something bad might happen, like a throttle sticking for some reason....
Have you actually done this to your snake, If so, how does it work?

Cheers,

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have looked around for myself on this, but I am going to end up fabercating one myself out of aluminum. It really doesn't look that hard to duplicate or modify.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scott, was away for two days.

I did this on my '94 soon after I got it ('98) - has worked flawlessly ever since. I used a hard plastic thickwall tube (wish I knew where it came from) and slit it. I think it's rough 3/8" long. I slipped it over the cable and used two tie wraps around it to make sure it didn't pop off.

If it breaks, falls off, whatever, it simply goes back to the original condition and pedal height.

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Scott, was away for two days.

I did this on my '94 soon after I got it ('98) - has worked flawlessly ever since. I used a hard plastic thickwall tube (wish I knew where it came from) and slit it. I think it's rough 3/8" long. I slipped it over the cable and used two tie wraps around it to make sure it didn't pop off.

If it breaks, falls off, whatever, it simply goes back to the original condition and pedal height.

Thanks Tom,
I think I will try the same type thing, I would assume it makes "heel toeing" much easier...yes??

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry I haven't posted answers to the questions directed at me. My hard drives fried out :( and I'm trying to recover info. I'm posting from another one in the shop.

Yes, I have been trying for a while to get this put together as a kit. I have everything except the adjustment knob/bracket. I have all the picture instructions waiting to go up on our website. I just spoke to my machinist and he told me next week he will have everything completed. I should have 25 kits ready by the end of next week/following week. I don't have the pedals in stock, but it only takes 1 day for any type/color.

If someone would like the kit with out the pedals, I will price that out also. I don't know how other types of pedals will work on the adapter so that is left up to your discovery. The first shiny pedals are ichibans and don't have a grip surface, but are excellent for fast footwork. The Momo pedals have a grip surface, but a little smaller surface area.

96-2002 RT-10 / GTS
2 types of pedal choices (Ichiban,6 colors / Momo,3 colors)
Throttle arm adapter
Adjustment knob and bracket (for throttle adjustment cable)
Hardware kit (screws, bolts, tap, drill bit, loctite)
Instructions on the net.

When mounting the solid (fixed angle) adapter to the throttle pedal arm it helps a great deal to be able to adjust the throttle postion (up or down) seperately so you can fine tune it in relation to the brake and clutch pedals. Most of the time you need to lower it just a little to get the angle perfect. Then you can adjust the brake/clutch up or down so you're never underneath the throttle pedal under braking.

Once you mount this adapter to your throttle pedal arm you will be unable to mount the stock piece back onto the pedal arm. This is a committment upgrade and also a delicate procedure. You MUST be extremely careful when removing the stock pedal pin and drilling the pedal arm. If for any reason you broke the pedal arm you would have to purchase an entire pedal assembly :shocked: $$$$$$$$$$$$.

If you take your time and mount it with care, the solid mounted throttle pedal is awesome and durable. It has been installed on many Vipers (street and race) and used for many years without problems.

Est. Price:

With the pedals around $200
Without around $100

I will post when everything is completed. When I get my computer back I will start putting up the instructions in the article section of our website :2tu:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scott, sorry for the poor pix, but this is the idea. Heel-toe will be better (not that I do it) but since you can position the gas pedal at any height you want, you can end up with whatever the driver feels is most comfortable.
186gas_pedal_fix_2.JPG

186gas_pedal_fix_1.JPG

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom,
what do you do about the automatic adj of the cable. Do you just put a screw through the ratchet mech to lock it?
thanks

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good question! I forgot that when I got the car, it already had the "factory" screw mod.

I looked at the parts diagram and service manual and because the ratchet mechanism adjusts the cable sheath position, which isn't changing, the auto adjuster should behave the same whether doing the cable mod or not. In other words, the TBs should both close and both hit WOT like they always did because the exposed cable length is still the same. So I want to say you don't need the screw...

I suppose you could put the plastic sleeve on each of the ends of the cables at the TB, too, and then synchronize the two TB openings with the ratchets. This would seem twice the work, but easier than being under the dash.

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is an update to this thread. Things have changed while I have been working on finalizing this kit. I have pricing and 6 kits available with your choice of pedals. I have more kits on order.

Here's a link to the 3 types of pedals that are available with the kit. I will have picture instructions on this link by next week.

Click on Feature Article (Install an SVS pedal kit)

This kit only works on Gen 2 Viper with the adjustable pedal assembly.

If you're interested send me an e-mail at [email protected], call our shop at 630-876-1335 ask for Ron Jr. or PM me here on the site.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth