viper owners get special treatment?

bcrl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do viper owners always get special treatment??
This is what just happened....
Since we just got our viper (4800 miles on it) yesterday, my husband decided he would like to get the oil changed and the radiator flushed right away before we start driving it much.So he called the local Dodge dealer and asked to make an appointment for an oil change. They said.."we can get you in sometime next week." Then my husband, Frank, said.."oh well, I just got a viper...and they cut in and said.."we can fit you in this afternoon---would 1:30 be okay with you?" WOW...what a change in attitude!! Is this normal? Can we expect to get better and special treatment/service because we have a viper?? It was just too cool
cool.gif

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The answer to your question: Yes and no. You WILL get special treatment from just about every dealer and auto-related business when you pull up. You haven't even BEGUN to see the attention this car brings. Get ready.

The "no" on the 'special treatment' brings a word of caution: Sometimes a dealer might be very excited because they will get to DRIVE your car if you drop it off with them. No, it's not common, but it does happen. I suggest you stay with your car every step of the way. Also be prepared for sticker shock. Many Dodge dealers will charge you $100+ for an oil change on your Viper. I think my first (and it was also the last) oil change at a Dodge dealer was $130. The car takes Mobil 1 (insist on it if they don't already know it) and most owners use a Mobil 1 filter as well. The dealership charges a premium.

Many Viper owners that don't change it themselves (me included), buy Mobil 1 at Walmart or some such discount store and then take it to Jiffy Lube (or something similar) and watch them change it for $15 or so. Total cost should be under $65 that way. I don't let them do anything besides change the oil - no grease, etc. If I need that done I will go to the Dodge dealership in Blair...

For Viper service make SURE they are a 5-star dealership with a Viper-certified tech. While it may not seem like a big deal for an oil change, a Viper tech knows a bit more about how to get it on the lift (usually the car is too low for many), how to shut the hood properly, etc. I am sure there are other Viper owners in your area that can give you advice on good dealers in the area.

Have fun!

Chris

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
From your lips to God's ears.......

--back in 1992-1993, when Vipers came out, Dodge sent a training film (narrated by C Van Tune) to dealers. It explained that Viper customers had formerly been Ferrari, Lamborgini, Porsche, etc clients, that had NEVER visited a Dodge store. The dealers were charged with elevating the level of service to Viper owners.....for the good of Dodge....and some did catch on.

The $19.95 "get ya next week" oil change became a Mobil One $95 oil change when you said 'Viper'! Be careful that they KNOW HOW MUCH to put in (8-8.5 qts)......many dealers have the original Gen-1 manual and will overfill your Gen-II car. It happens a LOT, even at good dealers. Take in a MOBIL ONE FILTER or demand that teh delaer use the MoPar Performance Filter, a Mobil One with a Viper on the box.......

JOIN VCA.....1.800.998.1110.... and then call me before such work, so you can get the correct advice BEFORE you do the work........ Spokane Chrysler dealer Joe Arotta is a VCA member and should take good care of you. Spokane's own Mark Carbon can tell ya his best tech experiences: He drives to Portland !!!!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's always good to do your homework. Not all Viper techs know what they're doing. I know a Viper tech that was replacing the tranny fluid with diff fluid to eliminate NGR.

I change all my own fluids. It's something you can do with your family to bring you closer together.

Scott J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those oil change rates are not exaggerated [$95.00+]. Invest in some heavy duty ramps and change the oil yourself if at all possible. I can change the oil with 10 qts. of synthetic Mobil 1 plus a filter for about $41.00 by buying my supplies at a wholesale outlet such as Costco.

OP
OP
B

bcrl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so are you all saying that we should NOT be taking the car to the dealer for the oil change? We did not call the dealer in Spokane as they as much as told us they don't deal with vipers when we were looking to buy one and checked there. So we called the one in Coeur d' Alene (yes they are a 5 star dealer) as they do work on vipers and even actually sell one once in awhile. But if it is going to be a problem then I certainly don't want to drive all the way over there when it may be better to do it ourselves.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonB - PartsRack:
From your lips to God's ears.......

--back in 1992-1993, when Vipers came out, Dodge sent a training film (narrated by C Van Tune) to dealers. It explained that Viper customers had formerly been Ferrari, Lamborgini, Porsche, etc clients, that had NEVER visited a Dodge store. The dealers were charged with elevating the level of service to Viper owners.....for the good of Dodge....and some did catch on.

The $19.95 "get ya next week" oil change became a Mobil One $95 oil change when you said 'Viper'! Be careful that they KNOW HOW MUCH to put in (8-8.5 qts)......many dealers have the original Gen-1 manual and will overfill your Gen-II car. It happens a LOT, even at good dealers. Take in a MOBIL ONE FILTER or demand that teh delaer use the MoPar Performance Filter, a Mobil One with a Viper on the box.......

JOIN VCA.....1.800.998.1110.... and then call me before such work, so you can get the correct advice BEFORE you do the work........ Spokane Chrysler dealer Joe Arotta is a VCA member and should take good care of you. Spokane's own Mark Carbon can tell ya his best tech experiences: He drives to Portland !!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would advise you to order a shop manual for your car. The owners manual is not specific about anything.

This should help if only for reference material.

Good luck on your first weekend in the Viper.

Let the games begin.

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The biggest problem with taking your Viper in for service anywhere is that someone else (hopefully only the mechanic) will drive the car. And no one else is going to take as good care of your car as you. Before I bought a lift, I had the dealer change my oil, and fortunately, nothing bad ever happened on an oil change trip. Not so lucky on other dealer service trips. I've had the side of my driver seat poked with a screwdriver, the underside of the front fascia scraped badly, and the roof scratched when someone placed a parts box on the roof. And if you ever leave the car overnight -- good luck! One 5-star dealer I took my car to left it sit outside for two days in the Northern Virginia summer sun, right in the flight path of some no-longer-constipated sea gulls! Goodbye clear coat! At another 5-star dealer I showed up Saturday morning to pick up the car, and noticed it had been left outside in the sleet and was covered with ice. Had I not stopped them, they would have hosed it off and had one of the lot boys "clean" it with the same filthy rags they'd been using all week.

So the fewer trips to the dealer, the better. And never, unless absolutely necessary, leave the car at the dealer's.

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My local dealership charges me about $55.00 for an oil change. They treat me very well. Roundtree Dodge in Lake Charles, LA. The Viper Tech is the service manager - Derrick Parm. Only Derrick and his protege, Chris, are allowed to touch my car and they are very helpful. I've know Derrick since '90 when he started in the automotive business. I'm hoping to bring him to the next Viper meeting in Houston. Very knowledgable guy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine