Viper/SRT Engineer Chat on 300C Forum

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just as an FYI, I posted the following on the 300C forum SRT Engineer chart and got the following response:

Originally Posted by rcl4668
You must be registered for see images

I have a 2008 Dodge Viper SRT-10 convertible. I had my dealer replace the standard 5-spoke wheels that came with the car with the lighter weight SRT Sidewinder wheels. Before the Sidewinders were mounted and balanced I measured the front and rear rims (without lugs, caps or TPMS sensors) at 17.5 lb front and 25 lb rear. Can you tell me the corresponding wheel weights of the standard 5-spoke rim, the new “Razor” rim and the “H”-spoke rim that are options on the 2008 Viper?

My next question is this: I would like to buy another set of Sidewinder rims (or comparable lightweight rim) and mount them with the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires that will come on the 2008 ACR Viper (295/30/18 front and 345/30/19 rear) for driver training school use only. I would still use my original Michelin PS2-equipped wheels and tires for street use. I had planned on installing TPMS sensors on the second set of wheels and had read that the TPMS senor module on the Viper could store data for a second set of rims, tires and TPMS sensors (for a total of 8 rim/tire/TPMS sensors). I have heard, however, from others who have tried this that the unit still has issues recognizing that many rim/tire/TPMS units and displays either a warning light or chime. Have you encountered this problem and if so, is there a workaround? If my only solution is to not install TPMS sensors on the track/driving school rims, will this interfere with the safe and proper functioning of the car? (I will, of course, be checking tire pressures frequently throughout the day when attending driver training events.)

Thanks for your time and a great line of SRT products.

/Rich

The TPMS for the Viper only holds 4 wheels in memory. It can not support 8. As long as you mantain proper pressure in the tires you will be fine. Eventually the TPMS will set a fault and turn on the low tire warning lamp but it will not impact the function of the vehicle. When the original tires are put back on it will clear the fault and lamp as soon as you go over 20MPH.

/Rich

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes but I you can program new sensors if you put on after market wheels with the sensors attached.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes but I you can program new sensors if you put on after market wheels with the sensors attached.

Don't think so, what he is saying is the central unit won't recognize more than the original 4, so adding the sensor units to extra wheels still won't allow the central unit to pick them up. Seems sort of obvious they would have mentioned that if it would work.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure about that. I think it will only recognize four but you can program new ones. I have heard from others that they are running after market wheels with sensors and have no light or chime. I bought my HRE set from another Viper owner who said that the sensors worked.

In addition there is a program on the Dodge coder reader thing to program the sensors. While I was at Tators he tried to program mine but for some reason the first sensor in the drivers side was not resetting.

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Right. I was hoping, however, to have two sets of rims/tires in the garage, one for street driving and one for driving schools. I wanted to be able to just swap them with a floor jack and not have any strange lights, chimes etc when I used the driving school rims. Also, even though I would religeously check tire pressures between sessions at the track, it would be nice to have the instantaneous warning that comes with the TPMS system Oh well, it doesn't sound like a huge deal.

/Rich