Viper Tech ?

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

Got an issue with my car. 2006 with a Paxton. 2300 miles.

Car is running well but will suddenly misfire. Run clean again and then a couple of miles down the road, a slight miss again. No specific speeds. Both under load and no load. Installed fresh plugs (old ones looked good when removed) and fuel.

Have talked to Mark at Woodhouse and he is suggesting to have it checked out by a tech.

So my question is: Any referrals for a good tech in Albuquerque (5 hours away), Phoenix (6 hours away) or Denver (8 hours away). Sounds like Denver is out according to some recent threads. but I figure I check.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

V

Venomiss

Eddie Martin in Phoenix.

Find someone in Co to run a scan first before making the trip.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you are in Western Colorado your best bet is Phoenix and Eddie Martin --he is at Bill Luke Dodge. He has been working on Vipers forever , from race teams , to modded cars, to brand new Snakes. Do check , nearby, to have it scanned prior. Mark will be back in our office on Friday if you want to chat further with him before making a decision to go to Phoenix. Best of Luck.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does it run crappy under boost or even when the car is not in boost? Did it throw a misfire code? What exhaust do you have on the car? Did you gap plugs properly and are you using the appropriate ones? Plugs need a slightly narrower gap or the boost will "blow" out the spark. I ran NGK V-electrode plugs in a cooler range sourced from DC Performance. Do you have a catch can on the car? If not, check for oil in intake. It can clog sensors and lower your octane rating. Check for loose wires and connectors at crank sensor and PCM. Cam sensor is too hard to get to with the Paxton. Check fuel pressure, especially if mis is under boost.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Wires as above and I'd have the fuel injectors cleaned. With out cars, it's not so much the miles on the car as it is the time. If you want a quick way to check, try some Redline fuel system cleaner and if this helps, pull the injectors and have them all cleaned and flow matched.

Dan

OP
OP
C

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

I run a Corsa exhaust. Definitely missing both under boost and when not. No CEL. Autolite plugs....don't know the number, will have to check. I did not re-gap to lesser gap. Will check all connections I can get to.

Will change the plug wires. I did put a cleaner (BRG) in the tank.

I would really like to find this to be something minor as the idea of having to trailer the car to Phoenix doesn't make me happy.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Matt

OP
OP
C

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing new to report. I put some fuel cleaner in the car and ran some fresh fuel through it. Of course hoping for the easy solution. No difference.

Have tried to locate a vacuum leak.....and have not found anything obvious.

Have put a few miles on the car just to try to get a really good idea of exactly when the misfire occurs. Yesterday I took it out for a short spin and it was very noticeable when cornering for some reason. I will say that it is more erratic under load than while coasting but it does occur then as well....just not as much. I can go for 2-3 miles with nothing and then suddenly a miss, then fine for a few miles again. Other times (like yesterday while cornering and under load) it happened 5 or 6 times back to back.

At this time I have decided to leave the car alone and just get it back to Woodhouse where I bought it. To busy to keep spend any more time on it and I certainly don't want to push my luck and risk something bad happening due to this condition. Even though this is the expensive route, shipping it to Nebraska, I will not have to worry about whether the car is taken care of properly while there. Have read to many horror stories on this forum to get it to an unknown (to me) dealership.

Season is winding down here in Colorado so I will just plan on having it ready to go early spring.

When I get it back from Woodhouse I will certainly report back with what they found causing the problem.

Matt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cookviper