viper vs. sl65 amg.....

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Royman, I've been too many AMG track events with my E63 and have seen 65's (S,CL,SL) run. They have alot of power but their weight and gearing is a handicap. BUT...they are very predictable and consistant being an automatic tranny. IF he is stock, he can break into the 11's especially on a cool day. But then again so can a GenIII if you have lots of practice launching the car . And there in lies your handicap. If you take him to dragstrip and you are not seasoned, he will probably get the better of you. I am assuming both are stock now.
Its so true as their are a ton of E-55 and Sl55,63s where i live and people with ABSOLUTELY NO DRAG RACING experiance on good air days pop 11s no problem.

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lots of people riding really high on their safety horse for cruising at triple digit speeds on Viper cruises.

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL. It's funny that this subject came up. Just last week I ran one of these AMG's with my GTS and gave the poor bloke a beat down that he won't soon forget. Of course, my GTS is a hell of a shredder considering that it is not far from stock (free flowing exhaust/no cats etc.) and I also pummeled a C6Z06 with it a few months ago. I was expecting the Z to give me a handful of trouble but I pulled away from him from second gear on and continued to pull him as the speeds grew. Against the AMG, he actually got a better jump but by second gear I was on him and by third, I was laying pipe in a big way. I don't know if it was the weight or whatever but it was not even close.
Having experienced this, I have to admit that I think my GTS is quicker than my SRT, which also whooped two C6Z06's and is completely stock. I think that as long as you don't screw up in a big way, you should be able to own him. Peak horsepower is not where the Viper shines but rather everywhere underneath. So far I have not lost to any cars in either Viper and I will run anything that is next to me.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
LOL. It's funny that this subject came up. Just last week I ran one of these AMG's with my GTS and gave the poor bloke a beat down that he won't soon forget. Of course, my GTS is a hell of a shredder considering that it is not far from stock (free flowing exhaust/no cats etc.) and I also pummeled a C6Z06 with it a few months ago. I was expecting the Z to give me a handful of trouble but I pulled away from him from second gear on and continued to pull him as the speeds grew. Against the AMG, he actually got a better jump but by second gear I was on him and by third, I was laying pipe in a big way. I don't know if it was the weight or whatever but it was not even close.
Having experienced this, I have to admit that I think my GTS is quicker than my SRT, which also whooped two C6Z06's and is completely stock. I think that as long as you don't screw up in a big way, you should be able to own him. Peak horsepower is not where the Viper shines but rather everywhere underneath. So far I have not lost to any cars in either Viper and I will run anything that is next to me.
:clap2:

I would say your maybe a better driver than those others. Pummeled/wooped??
come on those cars that you speak of are very, very close in performance against a SRT, its all driver there. Will call you mario:D

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:2tu:

:2tu::2tu::headbang::2tu::lmao::drive:

That's the atitude I like!

Ted

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the 65 AMG's pull very ******* the highway.... I ran a friends CL65 with my ACR from 60-140 and he hung around pretty well....

If he tunes that SL65, he'll pick up close to another 100HP.....

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SL65 will crush you in a drag or street situation. You need a supercharger. On a roadcourse, things are more interesting and the Viper could have an advantage.

The post about the Gen III or Stock GTS beating C6Zs is also false. I had a C6Z before my Gen IV Viper.

No matter what, you have a VIPER and your buddy does not!

Be safe!

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SL65 will crush you in a drag or street situation. You need a supercharger. On a roadcourse, things are more interesting and the Viper could have an advantage.

The post about the Gen III or Stock GTS beating C6Zs is also false. I had a C6Z before my Gen IV Viper.

No matter what, you have a VIPER and your buddy does not!

Be safe!
Exactly years ago at E-Town i witnessed an SL 65 run 11.77 bone stock IN very hot weather .(The car was driven in directly from the street and run while it was HEATSOAKED to the max )Cooled down in great air thats an 11.4-11.5 no problem.The best times EVER for a stock Gen 3 is 11.5 and thats with a great driver on his A game (Time slips reveal most drivers in stock Gen 3 are lucky to break 11s ) .The SL-65 takes alot of driver ability out of the equation which is also hugh .

JohnnyLightning

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's some times to beat:

. 1/4 Mile
ET
1/4 Mile
MPH
1/8 Mile
ET
1/8 Mile
MPH
0-60 Foot
ET
Car Year Driver 1) 10.853*+^ 124.929 6.973 103.605 1.583 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG RENNtech 2005 Lou Fishgold 2) 11.124*+^ 125.837 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG RENN tech 2009 ALI .M.S 3) 11.267* 123.729 7.273 1.675 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG RennTech 2005 Lou Fishgold 4) 11.270# 123.500 1.700 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG 2006 Jeff Keisner 5) 11.324* 123.418 7.326 1.713 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG RennTech 2005 Joe Curry 6) 11.380 127.200 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG 2005 Benjamin Treynor 7) 11.389 127.200 1.660 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG 2005 Benjamin Treynor 8) 11.395*+^ 127.190 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG RENNtech 2005 treynor 9) 11.420* 124.600 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG 2005 [email protected] 10) 11.587*^ 120.790 7.533 96.090 1.850 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG 2005 Marcus Frost 11) 11.664* 124.530 7.680 96.310 1.950 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG KLEEMAN 2005 Joe Cermin 12) 11.694 117.830 7.588 1.790 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG 2005 Schiznick 13) 11.710*# 126.020 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG Black Series 2009 NA 14) 11.710* 125.600 1.880 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG 2005 Benjamin Treynor 15) 11.810*# 121.620 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG 2009 NA 16) 11.910# 123.520 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG 2005 NA 17) 11.960*# 118.010 7.777 92.700 1.897 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG 2006 Robert 18) 12.000# 122.800 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG 2005 NA 19) 12.030 116.000 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG 2005 James Jarnagin 20) 12.090# 120.090 8.000 94.430 2.155 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG 2006 NSM

Jeff Keisner which is 3rd ran that time against me I have the video but I have a feeling he will be the fastest on that list soon :smirk:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff Keisner which is 3rd ran that time against me I have the video but I have a feeling he will be the fastest on that list soon :smirk:
Are those times stock stock tires ect.I noticed some are Renntechs ect

OP
OP
R

ROYMAN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the positive advice! looking into tires now...

as for nitrous, I am not going to risk it in the viper. I had a 150 shot in the vette, but that was because I had a direct port kit with a manifold from fuel air spark technologies (FAST) with burst panels, which minimized the risk of a blown engine. Its cheap, dangerous, and I dont think I will go that route in the viper.

As for the renntech, I am really not worried he will invest in that. Correct me if I am wrong but packages for the sl65 START at $24,000? keep in mind that this is the previous generation of the sl65 and not the new one, so my thoughts are I can still spend less than he did on his car, and have mine be significantly faster at the end of the day. Tires are going to be ordered by the end of the week, but I am not going to put them on until I change a few things with the viper and pull it apart when I am done with midterms

Thanks for the positive advice and support all! and for putting up with my BS :D
-Roy

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score

as for nitrous, I am not going to risk it in the viper. I had a 150 shot in the vette, but that was because I had a direct port kit with a manifold from fuel air spark technologies (FAST) with burst panels, which minimized the risk of a blown engine. Its cheap, dangerous, and I dont think I will go that route in the viper.

As for the renntech, I am really not worried he will invest in that. Correct me if I am wrong but packages for the sl65 START at $24,000? keep in mind that this is the previous generation of the sl65 and not the new one, so my thoughts are I can still spend less than he did on his car, and have mine be significantly faster at the end of the day. Tires are going to be ordered by the end of the week, but I am not going to put them on until I change a few things with the viper and pull it apart when I am done with midterms

Thanks for the positive advice and support all! and for putting up with my BS :D
-Roy

Since your cars are pretty close a small Nitrous kit would make you king. Nitrous is like everything else and only dangerous at the extreme or when there is a parts failure. Simple being best as there are very few parts to fail. A Hobbs switch so that the Nitrous system will not turn on unless correct fuel pressure is already pressent is a cheap safe althernative to just a $600 baby kit. Hobbs switch is only about $40. I've run Nitrous on nearly every car I raced and so far I've only hurt an airfilter when I had a Nitrous backfire. Manual timing needs to be reset with distributor in old cars and 200hp on my 340 backfired and melted the plastic mesh on the inside of the cardboard air filter element then got stuck in the Holley's throttle blades. Removed airfilter, therw away mesh and turned distributor. Then wasted the BB Camaro by 15 car lengths.

Ted

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

-Roy
You should have said this in the first place(previous gen Sl)as everyone made the assumption it was the current gen 600 plus hp 750 plus torque twin turboV 12

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
See if you can, on behalf of yourself and the Viper Nation, get much better grades than the other student who you wish to race. If you do, then, when you race him at the track, you will have him psyched. Good luck on your midterms!

OP
OP
R

ROYMAN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
whoops, thought that was clear... It is a 2005 sl65... at least thats what the badges say.;)

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are plenty of SL65 tuners out there, for a couple thousand he can add 100HP.....

-Roy

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yup, Nitous works in SLs too.

I read that the New Vipers Computer has a tendency to cutback the throttle after the Nitrous adds the power. Some sort of Torque management program. Haven't heard if Larry Macedo has come up with a solution for that yet.

Ted

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you just bought the Viper and have only a little experience driving it on a dragstrip, you will be beaten. Most first timers in Gen III"s run mid 12's. Adding HP will only make the car harder to launch. Practice and then go kick his butt.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

-Roy
I did some checking and there is no previous generation SL-65 inturn all of them have the current generation V-12 Twin turbo 605 PLUS HORSEPOWER OVER 700LBS TORQUE.

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What you need, stickier tires than him. The 65 has 200ft-lbs of torque more than a genIII. You might want to go from a dig, as the Merc's extra weight won't really matter at high speeds with that much more power than you have.

Merc gave the SL a face-lift last year. So technically there are two gens of SL65s, but in reality they are exactly the same.

There is a CLK 63 Black running around here that I want to tango with. It's lighter & less powerful than the SL65, but should be faster.

Nick

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go to your local track and run a quarter mile if your capable of AN 11.7 OR BETTER ect run him .If not you will lose as its much easyier for him to run a good time than it is for you as almost anyone is capable of putting one of them (SL-65 )FIRMLY IN THE 11S.

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be honest, I did not know what the hell it was when it pulled up to my GTS. I don't keep up with the latest german cars but it was obviously more aggressive than your usual Mercedes. After I ***** slapped him like a stepchild with a bad report card, I went home and did a search on the computer and was shocked to see how much HP and torque that SOB had. I was wondering why I beat him relatively easily and then I saw the weight was some 4300 pounds. Even so, it was a beautiful car, although nothing is as delectably beautiful as a GTS in my opinion.

OP
OP
R

ROYMAN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP
OP
R

ROYMAN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What you need, stickier tires than him. The 65 has 200ft-lbs of torque more than a genIII. You might want to go from a dig, as the Merc's extra weight won't really matter at high speeds with that much more power than you have.

Merc gave the SL a face-lift last year. So technically there are two gens of SL65s, but in reality they are exactly the same.

There is a CLK 63 Black running around here that I want to tango with. It's lighter & less powerful than the SL65, but should be faster.

Nick
yes, but there is a huge difference between that and the black series, which I think people are confused about. Isnt there also a difference in transmission and weight also?

Go to your local track and run a quarter mile if your capable of AN 11.7 OR BETTER ect run him .If not you will lose as its much easyier for him to run a good time than it is for you as almost anyone is capable of putting one of them (SL-65 )FIRMLY IN THE 11S.
My PR is 11.9 and that was with bad tires and no short shift. I am still in training though!

To be honest, I did not know what the hell it was when it pulled up to my GTS. I don't keep up with the latest german cars but it was obviously more aggressive than your usual Mercedes. After I ***** slapped him like a stepchild with a bad report card, I went home and did a search on the computer and was shocked to see how much HP and torque that SOB had. I was wondering why I beat him relatively easily and then I saw the weight was some 4300 pounds. Even so, it was a beautiful car, although nothing is as delectably beautiful as a GTS in my opinion.
keep in mind, especially with benzes and bmws, there is this whole new euro-rice thing going on. people love to throw amg and M badges on cars that should really not have them, and this could be the case for both of us.

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just clicked on your "NEW" link and found this:

Multi-function remote: with removable valet key

Multi-functional information center

Navigation system: hard drive navigation system

Number of drivers: 3

Number of front headrests: 2

One-touch windows: 2

Now that's interesting.:)

Bob

OP
OP
R

ROYMAN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
by new i mean new body as compared to the older body....
i didnt want to waste my time looking everything up on mbworld so I took it to ebay

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
btw: don't forget his msrp is $194k so if it is close you still won! :drive:

Seriously have seen one out and about and they do seem to get up and go so do post the video of the closed course run.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang