Viper's security system whigs out!

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper\'s security system whigs out!

We took our '00 Viper to a social gathering last night where it was (of course) the center of attention. Anyway, a few people wanted to hear it run so I fired it up four or five times with out problem. Anyway, when we went to leave I hit the unlock button on the fob and my wife opened her door, however mine would not open. I had her pull the emergency latch thinking that perhaps the wiring to the door switch was hosed and got it. When I started the car, it would not stay running - it would run for about 3-4 seconds then die. Eventually, it would not start at all, it would not recognize the fob and the door switches were dead. It seemed as if the battery was hosed so we charged it up to no avail and tried a jump to no avail. At this point the car would crank fine but would not fire up - as if there was no spark. Finally, we decided to disconnect the battery to reset the PCM. After doing this, the car fired up and was fine. It seems as if the computer thought the car had been broken in to and had disabled it from running. Could the source of all of this be a failing battery? Also, in the past I've left the car in the garage all week without driving it and no one touching it yet when I hit the unlock button on the fob it chirps three times indicating that the security system has been triggered. Can anyone point me in the right direction with this problem? Any help is appreciated!

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Viper\'s security system whigs out!

It could be a weak battery in the car. That will mess with the alarm system and make it think it's being stolen.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mine does that every once in a blue moon. Happened mostly on hot days, but there were a couple of times it happened at the beach on a cool day. The cool days we surmised that interference from an antannae array near the beach parking lot was messing with the security module. On the hot days, we just chalked that one up to the heat. Each time, resynching the fob to the security module fixed it. Hasn't done it in quite a while. These security modules aren't really the greatest ever made.

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

One thing I figured out when I got my car is that inside of the center console storage box, there is a slot to stick your key through the top and twist. This I believe will reset the alarm, and '98-'02 cars have this.

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score

One thing I figured out when I got my car is that inside of the center console storage box, there is a slot to stick your key through the top and twist. This I believe will reset the alarm, and '98-'02 cars have this.

Isn't that to lock the center console?

J/K I think but I am going to go look in my center console to see if what you are saying is true.

Mike

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score

OK, you weren't kidding.

Mike

OP
OP
M

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The hidden slot in the console storage box didn't do jack. I guess the fob didn't need resync'ing either because once we reset the PCM by pulling the battery cable everything worked just like nothing had happened.

I think I've also ruled out the battery as one of the map lights was accidently left on for several hours yesterday and the car started up without hesitation.

The thing that bugs me is the intermittent three chirps I get when unlocking the car with the fob. I hate chasing these problems that are not reliably reproducable!

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nothing like having your alarm system whig out while a crowd of people are checking out your car.

OP
OP
M

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nothing like having your alarm system whig out while a crowd of people are checking out your car.

No kidding! The host of the party is a big Chevy guy - he's got a fully restored '63 Vette and a newer Vette. So, I was taking a ration of crap while my security system was off the deep end.

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The hidden slot in the console storage box didn't do jack. ... The thing that bugs me is the intermittent three chirps I get when unlocking the car with the fob. I hate chasing these problems that are not reliably reproducable!

Ditto! My 98 has twice funked out on me when I locked it and then unlocked it with the key fob. Both times, it did the start and then die thing. I tried a lot of stuff, including the glovebox reset switch, but nothing worked except just re-locking it, unlocking, restarting, over and over again, until it finally caught.

Now I just never lock the dammthing!! What's the point anyway? (RT/10 anyway).

Silver Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If it makes you feel any better mine whigs out too. The other day I parked the car in the garage and set the alarm. About an hour later I noticed the lights were flashing as if the alarm was going off, but there was no horn. I decided to wait awhile and the lights finally stopped. When I used the fob to unlock the doors the horn chirped three times. This has been an on going thing for quite some time. Someone here suggested replacing the battery, but I haven't gotten around to it. I would love to hear an answer to this.

Mark
:)

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

wait when the horn sounds 3 times when you unlock the car that means what??? because sometimes mine does and sometimes it does not?

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

wait when the horn sounds 3 times when you unlock the car that means what??? because sometimes mine does and sometimes it does not?

I believe it is supposed to mean that the car has been tampered with and the alarm went off previously.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

silver snake i got that EXACT SAME THING and changing the batter is a waste i just did it 2 weeks ago guess what same thing, then I call Chuck Tator and he told me to check out my hood pop (that tells the alarm when the hoods popped) and i re adjusted it and the lights dont go off anymore BUT about every other time i unlock the car it does the 3 chirps. so i have no idea

OP
OP
M

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If it makes you feel any better mine whigs out too. The other day I parked the car in the garage and set the alarm. About an hour later I noticed the lights were flashing as if the alarm was going off, but there was no horn. I decided to wait awhile and the lights finally stopped. When I used the fob to unlock the doors the horn chirped three times. This has been an on going thing for quite some time. Someone here suggested replacing the battery, but I haven't gotten around to it. I would love to hear an answer to this.

Mark

I'd love an answer too. I didn't really mind the three chirps every now and then, but when the damn car wouldn't fire up when we went to leave and I had to hear crap from a couple of chevy guys for a couple of hours I got more than a little frustrated with this problem. I guess you'd expect a $75k Viper to have a better security system than my $20k Dakota R/T.

Does anyone know the list of sensors and switches the security system monitors? This would help narrow it down some - I know the obvious ones like the hood switch and the hatch switch (I'm sure that both switches on my car are adjusted correctly).

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Don't count out that hood switch. It's just a switch in a plastic sleeve with notches. Every time you give the hood a good closing slam, it's probable that you could knock the switch down a notch.

Other than the hood and hatch, I can't think of anything else that would need a security switch.

Silver Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How about a shock sensor? Where is that thing located, if there is one?

Also, How then do you adjust the hood switch? Assuming that is the culprit.

Mark

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

well the hood switch was the cause of my lights flashing,which led to my battery being dead I do know that BUT I still get the 3 chirps SOMETIMES but no more lights and no more dead battery and

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Seriously, do most of you ever leave your car where you can't see it, anyway? The alarm is buggy as hell - I'll never lock my car, if I can help it.
And as for the Chevy guys who razz you, Vettes are even worse!! My old C5 did the same thing as the Viper does, and they also have column lock problems. "Pull key, wait three seconds."

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score

Seriously, do most of you ever leave your car where you can't see it, anyway? The alarm is buggy as hell - I'll never lock my car, if I can help it.
And as for the Chevy guys who razz you, Vettes are even worse!! My old C5 did the same thing as the Viper does, and they also have column lock problems. "Pull key, wait three seconds."

Good point, I tend to do the same but given we drive RT/10's I almost always am ******* so lock & alarm means nothing and it is usually within sight and if not it is becasue I am waiting on line for coffee or somethiong and will be out, my friends with GTS tend to beacuse they can leave and lock it a bit more though.....no keys though.........

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"How about a shock sensor? Where is that thing located, if there is one?"

I'm not sure it has one. I had one added in via aftermarket. I'll check the schematics when I get home and see if there is one stock.

OP
OP
M

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I leave mine out of sight on occasion and I'd rather not have my radar detector ripped off. Since it's a coupe it's nice to be able to leave stuff in it and have it locked.

OP
OP
M

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Don't count out that hood switch. It's just a switch in a plastic sleeve with notches. Every time you give the hood a good closing slam, it's probable that you could knock the switch down a notch.

Other than the hood and hatch, I can't think of anything else that would need a security switch.

I'll recheck the alignment of the hood switch. It sounds like you're thinking possibly the switch isn't showing that the hood is closed when the car is alarmed and this is messing up the security system?

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Exactly but it not 100% not making contact its still making some sort of a contact because if it wasent THAT would set the horn and everything off

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My 96 GTS has that problem. It generally happens at VOI's which I surmise means that it doesn't like the signals from other cars remote alarm button. In any event, the fastest way to cure it is to disconnect the battery cable at the terminal block under the hood. Leave it off for at least 10 minutes and then reconnect it. You'll be good to go. I know it's a bummer but nothing has fixed it for me and DC even replaced the alarm computer brain.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i will give that a shot thanks alot Russ

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Check out the Winter issue of Viper Quarterly, page 40. There's an article about some Battery Save feature. I bet you tripped this inadvertently. At least, the response in the article to initiating this feature is as close to any of the other thoughts above. Either that, or Lucas starting making electronics for D-C!

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"How about a shock sensor? Where is that thing located, if there is one?"

"I'm not sure it has one. I had one added in via aftermarket. I'll check the schematics when I get home and see if there is one stock."

Checked. There is no O.E. shock sensor.

OP
OP
M

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Check out the Winter issue of Viper Quarterly, page 40. There's an article about some Battery Save feature. I bet you tripped this inadvertently. At least, the response in the article to initiating this feature is as close to any of the other thoughts above. Either that, or Lucas starting making electronics for D-C!

The article you mentioned only describes the SRT-10's system. Are you sure this applies to the Gen II's system as well?

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't have it in front of me right now, but I believe it covered all generations, and had something different for 2003's only?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc