ViperSpeed Head Package: Made 90 HP

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After contemplating different head packages for my '99 ACR, I decided to go with Bobby Archer's ViperSpeed Head Package.

The package included heads and pushrods and I added T&D roller rockers . We dynoed the car before and after and saw 77 RWHP gain which is 92 HP at the flywheel (using a 13% driveline loss).

No problem feeling THAT increase in the seat of the pants.
supergrin.gif

With ACR equipped smooth tubes and K&N's, along with Belanger headers, BTR 3" exhaust, VEC-1, ViperSpeed heads, T&D rockers, and Fidanza flywheel, my car is making just slightly under 500 RWHP which should be close to 600 HP at the flywheel.

The price was reasonable and they got my car in and out in the same week. I had Bobby's shop (German Motor Works) do quite a bit of suspension, brake and cooling work on my car when I first bought it back in '99 and have been very happy with it. His prices are reasonable and he gets it done in a timely fashion.

I'm very satisfied with the work he's done and the price I paid for it. After all, just because we have Vipers does not mean we should be gouged. What a difference the heads and rockers have made!

With this latest performance upgrade, the car feels stronger than ever. I'll be taking it to our local strip in a couple of weeks to terrorize other street cars and will post the results after I get back.

Cheers,

Paul Bilberry

'99 ACR

Chuck B 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, that's a lot of power without a camshaft! How well does the car idle?
bounce.gif

Does it have that lumpy cam feel?

Chuck B.

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul,

Great numbers with just a top end job. Why did you choose not to change the cam when you had everything apart?

Make sure to post your numbers when you are done.

OP
OP
H

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, '99 was the last year of the high profile cam. The car idles from 400 - 500 rpm. It does have a burble but definitely not a lope like a big duration cam would make it. I've put 400 miles on it since the work was done and it is still very streetable.

Another thing is that the ViperSpeed heads did not significantly raise the compression so if I want to put a huffer or a nitrous setup on it later, I can.

Paul

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul Bilberry:
The car idles from 400 - 500 rpm.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paul,

Check the tach markings - you will find on closer inspection that the tick marks BEGIN at 500 rpms, not 0. The ECU is set to idle at around 710-720 rpm. If yours really is idling that low, you probably have something wrong with the Idle Air Control unit.

OP
OP
H

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dean. I'll check it again tomorrow. I'm sure though that the idle is fine. Feels and sounds fine and I did look to see if it was the same place as before and it was. The car feels the same as it always has at low RPM. No bucking, no difficulty negotiating congested traffic and very controlable.

I'll get a little more exact on the idle RPM after looking at it tomorrow. Sorry for the misinformation.

Paul

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul, you said the cost of this upgrade was reasonable. How much?

Ronnie

OP
OP
H

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ronnie, the package cost $4,500.00 plus install labor. $5000.00 would include the T&D's. Labor on heads and T&D's would be $1,000 - $1,200.

Paul

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Paul, that is reasonable, IMO. I'm assuming that includes giving up your stock heads on an exchange basis?

Ronnie

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, Paul, you had the heads polished and ported, pushrods, and
T & D rockers plus labor for $6200? Did I read this right?