VIR SRT Track Experience

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the SRT Track Exp on 7/16 @ VIR and had a blast. I did 2 hot laps in a Snake Skin Green Viper with white stripes. What a blast. I had no idea what a Viper felt like at 160 mph on a track. The handling was unreal. It was scarier than any roller coaster I have ever been on. I got to run a Challenger SRT& and a Charger SRT myself at 120 mph. I was impressed with those cars also, but that Viper ride was insane. Not for the timid or weak hearted. :rolaugh:

mcar00

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did the SRT Track Exp on 7/16 @ VIR and had a blast. I did 2 hot laps in a Snake Skin Green Viper with white stripes. What a blast. I had no idea what a Viper felt like at 160 mph on a track. The handling was unreal. It was scarier than any roller coaster I have ever been on. I got to run a Challenger SRT& and a Charger SRT myself at 120 mph. I was impressed with those cars also, but that Viper ride was insane. Not for the timid or weak hearted. :rolaugh:

Glad to hear you had a blast. What was the format and how much time did you actually get on the track hot lapping?

OP
OP
M

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to hear you had a blast. What was the format and how much time did you actually get on the track hot lapping?

We did the Challenger Challenge - an autocross, drag strip in all cars plus Jeep SRT, autocross in Caliber & Jeep, track time (2 laps each car) in 3 cars - Chrysler 300 SRT, Charger SRT, Challenger SRT where you drive and then hot laps by their driver. I was fortunate enough to get my 2 hot laps in a Viper. Again, what a blast. I would do it again.:2tu:

Last edited:

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some people said that they were no longer aloud to drive Vipers at the SRT events. I guess each event is different. Hopefully they continue allowing us to drive Vipers at the SRT experience...or at least let the Viper owners drive the Vipers!

mykes

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Why not track your car? Just got back from the track and must have done 100 laps,every lap was better than the last.It was my second time out and is the best 2 tanks of gas i've ever burnt!

OP
OP
M

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some people said that they were no longer aloud to drive Vipers at the SRT events. I guess each event is different. Hopefully they continue allowing us to drive Vipers at the SRT experience...or at least let the Viper owners drive the Vipers!

Maybe I was unclear about the Hot Laps in a Viper. I did not drive it, I was a passenger. They do not let you drive them anymore, but it was still a blast.

OP
OP
M

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not track your car? Just got back from the track and must have done 100 laps,every lap was better than the last.It was my second time out and is the best 2 tanks of gas i've ever burnt!

My insurance company will not cover my car on a track and I cannot afford to take a $90k hit, therefore, I am better off driving other cars when I can.

OP
OP
M

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now I am confused. You attended the SRT Track Experience and you no longer can drive a Viper???

That is correct, but they will take you for one helluva a ride in a Viper. You get to drive everything else.

kblake905

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I attended on the 14th of July, I was fortunate to get a hot ride in the red viper.
They only had automatic Challengers for the "hot laps" which I got to drive; as well as the Charger and the 300 SRT8.
Note:(the Viper rides were limited to a 1 in 5 lottery chance not to those who owned one this was available to all "SRT" owners).
I attended with my son who has a Magnum SRT8. We bought our tickets on Ebay from other SRT8 owners who did not choose to use them (their loss/ our gain) for about $300.
This program is not available to owners in Ontario/Canada.
My son talked me into doing it while we were vacationing in Virginia, I was reluctant at first, but I am glad he talked me into it.
I bought my Viper as a mid life crisis, am retired now and can not afford to race it so I was happy to experience the ride on the track by a professional who knew how to drive it!
Sorry for being long winded, I recommend this for anyone interested in purchasing any of the SRT models, they were all impressive, the Jeep surprised me the most!

Last edited:

mykes

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Buy track insurance and drive it yourself.Can't describe the felling of being on the track(road course) in your own car and learning how to drive it.I think every viper owner should try it at least once.imo you'll have no idea what the car is capable of until you try it.And yes i think it is a hole lot safer on the track than it is on the steets!!!But beware i think you might catch the track bug,like i have.LoL

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought 2 SRTs this year. Anyone who wants to buy one SRT experience off me, PM me.

Frankster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to let someone else drive your Viper? What kind of track day is that? Who the hell are these people? Sounds like they've got your number and get to enjoy what you bought and paid for.

Geese, can you say "rip off"?

If I went to a track and was told I couldn't drive my Viper I'd tell them to go to furreekin' hell!

Am I reading this correctly? You are not allowed to drive your Viper? Someone else has to drive it while you are a passenger?

Jeezus H Krist, what the hell is wrong with this scenario?

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to let someone else drive your Viper? What kind of track day is that? Who the hell are these people? Sounds like they've got your number and get to enjoy what you bought and paid for.

Geese, can you say "rip off"?

If I went to a track and was told I couldn't drive my Viper I'd tell them to go to furreekin' hell!

Am I reading this correctly? You are not allowed to drive your Viper? Someone else has to drive it while you are a passenger?

Jeezus H Krist, what the hell is wrong with this scenario?

Do you know what the SRT experience is all about? If not, check out drivesrt.com. You get to drive their cars, not yours. It's a pretty cool event if you haven't gone. In the past, you could drive their Viper too, but not this year. I have an extra SRT experience pass. They retail for $500. Well worth it if you haven't been there...or even if you have been there.