VOI 13 COTA - Track plans

OP
OP
Viper X

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Got an email from Edge and they now have Sunday open for those that are interested for COTA on Sunday too.

I'm in too. Noticed that they billed my CC as I was on the waiting list. Maybe I'll be up to speed learning this track by Sunday ..... maybe .....

Dan

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there an update on the track event formula ?
Instructor, inspection so on ?

Is there a trackshop that can mount tires ?
An inspection form was emailed out by the Edge group to fill in for Sat. and Sun. entries for those signed up with the Edge group. They also offer instruction for 100.00 a day and an optional garage for 75.00 per car. A good video to watch closely to give an idea of the proper line is from Mike Skeen or Billy Johnson which can be seen on You Tube. Its impossible to remember all this while on the track but gives a good idea of the turns, entry, and exits. The more laps you take, the more you learn each time around as per any new track.

JohnHammer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be here for VOI (got into town last night, actually), although I'll be working the Gen V Street Drive event from Dodge. No, I didn't bring my Viper with me (a shame; it's a track day car!), but I'm excited to see everyone at the event. Come say hi when you get a chance and if you've not driven a Gen V, this is a great opportunity.

And beware of the Red Mist!

John Hammer

You must be registered for see images attach

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John,

It was good to see you today. Thank you for taking time to thoroughly go over the Gen 5.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like the weather is going to be absolutely fantastic for this event.
Unfortunately it turned out lousy at least for San Antonio with rain every day. Place is soaked and the cars are dirty. Austin was very nice though and the track was awesome especially on Friday. The Edge group today is very crowded and the track schedule went crazy after several offs. Oil on track, blown motors (non Vipers) etc. One dude in his early Gen lost all brakes at turn 12 (high speed) and tore his car up pretty bad but driveable. Im sure there will be numerous posts about all the other events soon.

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
It wouldn't be a VOI without a little rain, but I think the event was a huge success, great people and a great time. Friday at COTA was FANTASTIC, we had the track to ourselves, by the end of the day everyone had run so many laps there were only 2 cars on the track. I think in all, I must have put more than 30 laps on my car. One of the SRT engineers kept checking my TA every time I came in, he was very interested in how the brake pads were holding up and the overall performance. It was great to have all those engineers at VOI.

Jay Lopez

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great event everyone. I know this was a major commitment of time to pull this event off, and we really enjoyed the event and people. Excellent job. Thanks for putting it all together.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please start a VOI thread and post some pics!!!
Where were you? It will all be in the next vca mag for sure. There were a lot of upset people but I doubt they will indicate so. The track was awesome to say the least, very technical. Pretty big turn out too !!!

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
GTSR91, I parked next to you one night, and I gotta say that yellow is even more impressive in person than in the photos what a color. Our new editor of the magazine is also a professional photographer, man he took some amazing pics, I am sure some will make their way to the site in the next few days.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've spoken with James and he is preparing pics for release here.

I've been at tracks all over the country, and Friday was one of the best times of my life at COTA. My "parade laps" (lol) were 170mph+. I don't know a person who didn't hit 140+ on the back straight (even the "novice" group). The instructors were easily the best of any VOI, and were liberal to say the least, many were "solo" certified early in the day.

I'm ready for some apologies from those who spread the rumor it was going to be parade laps, holding breath :)... Glad everyone had fun, wish we could control the rain, my Sat afternoon track time was blown out due to rain (and yes I agree it was no where near as good as Friday, with the crowded field, etc.)

Thanks to Dodge for all the support in bringing so many Gen 5s, all the engineers for the tech sessions, and thanks to everyone in attendance who made it such a blast. Also huge thanks to Ben Keating at Viper Exchange for giving people the rides of their lives in his race car, and lastly thanks to VPA for sponsoring Saturday's dinner

Oh wait, no one is talking about the 6 shooter competitions!?

OP
OP
Viper X

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
I've spoken with James and he is preparing pics for release here.

I've been at tracks all over the country, and Friday was one of the best times of my life at COTA. My "parade laps" (lol) were 170mph+. I don't know a person who didn't hit 140+ on the back straight (even the "novice" group). The instructors were easily the best of any VOI, and were liberal to say the least, many were "solo" certified early in the day.

I'm ready for some apologies from those who spread the rumor it was going to be parade laps, holding breath :)... Glad everyone had fun, wish we could control the rain, my Sat afternoon track time was blown out due to rain (and yes I agree it was no where near as good as Friday, with the crowded field, etc.)

Thanks to Dodge for all the support in bringing so many Gen 5s, all the engineers for the tech sessions, and thanks to everyone in attendance who made it such a blast.

Oh wait, no one is talking about the 6 shooter competitions!?

OK, I actually beat my wife twice in the 6 shooter competition.....and the second time, per her request, I counted to 4 before I fired!

Dan

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put out one of the barn lights way behind the target, LOL Actually I did hit the ballon pretty quickly. The marshmallow roast was really cool too. Now for new tires etc this week............

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Nsane1, aren't all parade laps done at 170 mph? You better get a scuba tank if your gonna hold your breath, I think it is going to be awhile. I have to say the best day I have ever had on any track was the VOI.13COTA day, I wanna go back......

OP
OP
Viper X

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
I plan to go back as well, hopefully soon. I was just beginning to learn the track and running fairly quick laps considering it was my first time at COTA.

It is definitely the best track I've ever driven a Viper on and the most Viper friendly.

A bit ******* brakes, but the surface was amazingly smooth and "grippy".

Dan

gmacdonald32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Dan.

Thanks for the great party at COTA. You, Kathy, and the team did an unbelievable job putting this together.

I did not realize that I was the only car on the track for the free session at the end of the day Friday. Tim Jelle and I had managed to get Green Lolly (No. 32 Competition Coupe) out for the last session and it was a sweet if lonely run. The difference in handling between it and the roadster was astounding. I've never had the two cars together at the same event before. Interesting to hear that the Gen 5's were making 170 on the back straight. I was able to pull only 160 with the largely stock No. 32, but she stuck like crazy in the curves.

Best time 2:32:89 in the 3rd session on Sunday, down from 2:36's on Friday. The car's got a fuel cut out issue that I haven't been able to solve, which gets progressively worse through the day. By the middle of the third session it was choking the car on every left turn. Unbelievably frustrating, and a shame to lose half the day on Sunday.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow mac, that's an amazing time. We lost half of Sat due to rain as well (I guess I could have put my streets back on, but too lazy). It was great seeing you run out there!

OP
OP
Viper X

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hi George,

Nice seeing you and your snakeskin green comp coupe at COTA last weekend. Always enjoy wathcing that car on the track.

Wasn't sure who the last car out was on Friday, but was told their was only one car out for the last session. Glad to see that everybody got more runs that they thought they'd get.

I managed a couple of sessions on Friday and one on Saturday due to the rain, then ran two on Sunday due to club obligations. Next time I'll be more focused on the track.

My lap timer in the ACR showed a 232.99 on Sunday afternoon, so you got me by a tenth. I was chasing a Porsche GT3 durign the end that session who would not point me by. He almost lost it a dozen times trying to hold me off. Funny thing, Herb Helbig was watching that session and when he came in, he commented that I look like I was having fun. Then, he went on to say that he could see the GT3's numbers every time he came onto the front straight with me right behind him. Normally, I'd have just passed him, but first time to the track and all, I didn't want to be to feisty.

Hope all is well with you and your and the the AZ VCA Region will rise again.

See you at the track,

Dan

RadarBait

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greetings y'all. I just joined the forum to say THANKS to all the VCoA folks who came out to COTA for the event. I had the privilege of riding along with some of you as an "instructor" for Edge Addicts, and I had a blast with all of my "students". I use the quote marks, because you knew more about your cars than I did, and while I maybe had a little more knowledge of the COTA track than some of you, we got to learn a little from each other, and I think we all had a super fun time, and stayed safe, which is the main thing! Now we get to look forward to next time! I don't know about you, but after that weekend with the Vipers, I went through a little withdrawal... for a few days afterward, all I could think about was getting a few more laps, maybe getting my "students" to go a little harder in a couple of spots, enter this corner or that corner a little better, a little smoother, a little faster... LOL!!! It's a terrible and wonderful addiction! Be safe out there! Hope to see you again! -Mike

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
RadarBait, you guys did a great job. I have heard a lot of positive feedback from the members on how well your instructors knew the track. I am glad you enjoyed the Vipers, they are most at home on a track.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm ready for some apologies....

Greg, I am sorry..........................................................

that you will have to hold your breathe for a long time.:rolaugh: Sorry, couldn't help it. Best track experience by far for me when factoring in facility/instructors and event itself.