VOI7 Survey Question

Joe Bliss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would appreciate some feedback on the following hypothetical scenario:

At VOI6, during the lunch break, a promotional race was run using the Skip Barber formula cars. For VOI7, what would you as a Viper owner rather see;

A. Another Skip Barber formula race (zzzzzzzzzzz....)
Or…..
B. A real door to door race featuring the heart pounding
GT-1 Vipers of the Viper Racing League. (!!!!!!!!)

I prefer option B, what about everyone else?
You must be registered for see images

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
VRL, Start Your Engines!

PaceCar, Lights ON! Take em for Two, Full Course Yellow........

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would you only allow vipers that run VRL to participate? If so this would not be so politically correct. There are other vipers that race other series that are competative.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VRL, of course. And why isn't that awesome picture in the Viper Calendar? Looks like a sure fire top pick!

Chris

OP
OP
J

Joe Bliss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HemiDaytona,
It was just an "A" or "B" hypothetical question. The intent was a make a choice between a Viper race or a race of "little tiny open wheel formula cars" which have no bearing, resemblence or in any way, connection to Viper or Viper owners. It's just a survey.....
I used a reference to VRL GT-1 cars because the VRL is the only organization capable of putting a large number of race vipers on the track at one time. If it were to become a reality I am sure the VRL would consider other Viper participants.......

With that said please choose "A" or "B"..........

SAM Team

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe,

VRL is a great idea especially for those who have never seen one, I have seen several. I saw the one in Willow Springs a couple of Sundays ago and it had all the elements of a terrific show down. We had questionable blocking, great burnouts after a stop and go, heated exchanges afterwards by a few, and I think everyone still went home friends. The only thing that was missing was FoxSports!! Keep watching VRL members Sonny will be in your mirror very soon...he will not be there for long!

I saw the Skip Barber thing in St Louis and I still have yet to figure out the purpose other than they were using "our" track time. If I remember we lost valuable track time because of them...

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe Bliss:
HemiDaytona,
It was just an "A" or "B" hypothetical question. The intent was a make a choice between a Viper race or a race of "little tiny open wheel formula cars" which have no bearing, resemblence or in any way, connection to Viper or Viper owners. It's just a survey.....
I used a reference to VRL GT-1 cars because the VRL is the only organization capable of putting a large number of race vipers on the track at one time. If it were to become a reality I am sure the VRL would consider other Viper participants.......

With that said please choose "A" or "B"..........

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

just being a hypothetical question. then i'm simply saying..if you want to see a race between vipers and invite the VRL, then should you not also take into consideration other racing leagues. If your asking that all owners that are qualified with racing liscense and proper documentation and their car is logged with a racing sanction then yes i vote B. But if you are only asking for VRL drivers to race then No i vote A. I'm a viper owner and have been a registed VCA member since '96. I attend VOI's. Should i be left on the side line watching? simply because i a not a VRL driver? Why should it be left up to the VRL to make considerations? Isn't it DC putting on the show?

Sonny 00 GTS ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
B.

Hemidaytna - I think Joe was pretty clear on his intention here. A choice between Skippy cars or the VRL does seem to be a "no brainer" at a Viper Club event. Joe said he wasn't trying to exclude anyone - just asking a simple question. As far as your concern goes - you haven't mentioned what "other racing league" you belong to? If the formula cars race in Nashville you would be on the sidelines watching them like we did in St Louis. If I'm going to be on the sidelines I'd still rather be watching Vipers. But there is no need to be on the sidelines anyway because anyone wanting to participate in a VRL sanctioned race can do so at any scheduled VRL event as long as they meet the car specs and follow the rules set forth to make the race safe. Also providing that they have proof of proper skills and experience - no different than SCCA except that the VRL discourages all contact - something that I feel safer knowing.

So please don't take offense at what Joe is suggesting - It makes good sense and isn't meant to exclude anyone.

BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess we have to ask is the VRL going to cost the other participants valuable track time. At a normal VD event they have multiple practice sessions, qualifying, 1/2 hour race etc. The entire weekend revolves around the 2 wheel to wheel races. The nice thing with the Barber guys is that they are pro's. They know the track, they know their cars, they hop in and go. No muss no fuss and it doesn't cost either the participants or Dodge anything except a half hour when the track would have been shut down for lunch anyways. Now if VRL goes out who is going to watch the corners? It won't be the Barber guys. If it is, then we will be shut down longer because they will need a break after the VRL race. I think this is more complicated than you think.

Yes it would be more fun to watch some Vipers racing but then again, if I want to see that, I can stay for the VD event after VOI 7. Then there won't be any question about who paid for the track and who is suppose to be driving. The VRL racers drive as much as they can afford, while the majority of VOI participants only do this type of track driving at a VOI. Let them have their time to enjoy themselves. As it is, the road course driving is limited because of the shear numbers. Nashville is planned to be the biggest VOI to date. This may make the driving stints shorter because you have to cycle that many more cars.

SAM Team

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Richard,

If I remember right, and I think I do, the Barber (Pro's) are the ones who held up the track in St Louis because of a mishap...I know this can happen to anyone, yours included...but I do not see us wasting time by letting the VRL and "All, including Frank" the qualified drivers and cars show their stuff. Many of Viper owners will go home on Sunday and will not be able to stay around. This may be the only chance we get to hook some potential new members for Viper Days or even maybe one day Wheel To Wheel. A lot of these guys and girls have no idea what they are missing...I would much rather see them testing their skills at something like Viper Days than hearing about them on this board after they have failed on the street and we have had too many of those....

Just my 2 cents...

Sonny 00 GTS ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperrick

You make a good point, and if a VRL race event at VOI wouldn't be exciting enough to justify the possible loss of track time for VOI participants then maybe it shouldn't occur.

I think Joe's point was that it makes far less sense to give up VOI track time for Skippy Cars and I agree. I think at the St. Louis VOI that they did practice and qualify before their "pro" race.

VOI should be great in any case - hope to see you there!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Brilliant idea for the VCA, Dodge sponsored Viper Racing League!!
This really merits some debate and is a phenomenal way for Viper
Afficianados around the country to see the heroes of Wheel to Wheel Snake racing . Who would want to miss a chance at seeing;
1. Bobby Archer
2. Mike " Da Man" Mccann
3. Rob " The Babe" Foster
4. Danny " Git Down" Downs
5. Joe " Blistering" Bliss
6. " Evil " Joe Ellis
7. Chris " Collision " Barone
8. Bob " The Woodchuck " Woodhouse
9. Gary " Horsepower " Lashinsky
10.Skippy " Peanut Butter" Thomas
11. Frank " The Italian Stallion " Parise
12. Phil " Do it for da Kids" DeLao
13. "Screaming ' Seth Palatnik
14. Howie " Oscar Meyer" Frank
15. Johnny " Yuma" Weigel
16. Jimmy " The Streak ' McCann
17, Deb " Fast and Fabulous' Loth
18. " Dandy' Dan Crotty
19. Dave " No Holds Barred' Held
20. " King" Larry King
21. " Swell Adel " Elsayed
22. John " Sooper" Cooper
23. Mike " Heartburn " Hartley
24. Jeff " Jumpin " Johnson
25. Lenny " Killer" Diller
26. John " Greased Lightning" Grieco

How can this not be a Venomous Battle to end all Battles!! You have my vote Mr. Bliss, and I am sure alot of others will promote your great idea!!!

OP
OP
J

Joe Bliss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Sonny,
You definitely understand the point. It was not to discuss VOI participant track time, (I would oppose any participant losing time due to a race), the logistics of putting together a race of either Barber cars or Vipers (VRL, SCCA, Grand AM, etc.... even Frank Barba) it was simply a question of WHAT would Viper owners rather watch, and..... IF VOI organizers are going to have a race, then just MAYBE they should understand that Viper owners want to see Vipers (maybe everyone other than Frank).

Looking forward to running with you this year.
Joe

Sonny 00 GTS ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the survey Joe. It's a great idea. That being said however, DC does need to have someone oversee the track time for the VOI participants and part of the negotiations with Skip Barber to provide that service may include Skippy's desire to showcase his deal. Not necessarily what most of us would choose, but possibly a financial reality of the negotiation process.

I still vote "B"

BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif